IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida Biennial Shopping?

Cindy Adair

Since I always like to stay busy on trips, I'd appreciate leads on Miami area nurseries. I'll have really only 1/2 a day (Friday), but other attendees may be coming earlier or staying later and be interested in some hints also.

Probably those that offer small sizes would be better. I'd need to be able to fit any plants on a plane or mail them to Virginia myself unless the nursery ships.

I really like the uncommon-flowering and fruiting trees, ornamentals including broms and orchids and really pretty much anything! I've heard many good things about Jesse Durko's nursery, but don't know if his plants are all too large to be practical for me.

I'd love a Cynometra like some of us saw at Nong Nooch in Thailand!

Please help me narrow down the numerous choices by posting here or sending me a pm.

Cindy Adair

Betrocks publishes a book called "The Plant Finder" which has most plant material listed. (even an older copy is a good guide)

Jesse Durko's & Jeff Searle's are about 5 miles apart here in west Broward.

Down South below Kendall are many nurseries. Steve stern does palms...as does John D'Mott (Redlands). Native Tree has both palms and native trees (no surprise there). Botanics has some large stuff you won't see elsewhere. The volume of plant material is overwhelming...do some research.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Since I always like to stay busy on trips, I'd appreciate leads on Miami area nurseries. I'll have really only 1/2 a day (Friday), but other attendees may be coming earlier or staying later and be interested in some hints also.

Probably those that offer small sizes would be better. I'd need to be able to fit any plants on a plane or mail them to Virginia myself unless the nursery ships.

I really like the uncommon-flowering and fruiting trees, ornamentals including broms and orchids and really pretty much anything! I've heard many good things about Jesse Durko's nursery, but don't know if his plants are all too large to be practical for me.

I'd love a Cynometra like some of us saw at Nong Nooch in Thailand!

Please help me narrow down the numerous choices by posting here or sending me a pm.

What are you looking for? Just shopping? I have some rare stuff, if you want to pm me--mini PRA!

... I really like the uncommon-flowering and fruiting trees, ornamentals including broms and orchids and really pretty much anything! I've heard many good things about Jesse Durko's nursery, but don't know if his plants are all too large to be practical for me.

I'd love a Cynometra like some of us saw at Nong Nooch in Thailand! ...

Jesse Durko has an incredible selection of material spanning many plant families and groups. He is a grower and could easily have smaller size plants, like 4 inch or 1 gallons that are in production, but I would not know if they would be for sale. One could easily spend the entire day at his place and it would not be sufficient to see everything.

In addition to the Plant Finder resource, there is an online version run by FNGLA called Plant Ant...

Link: https://www.plantant.com/find-plants

It is still in the early stages of growth. Each day, more and more plants are being added to it, often with photos. It is better for tracking down common stuff, but rarer items might be entered in the list. You have to be logged in as a member to see prices, but you can still search for plants and see the grower list.

For the Cynometra, you should try the tropical flowering tree growers in the area. Many of the best growers are backyard growers and are hard to contact, but one nursery I know has flowering trees as a specialty, Richard Lyons' Nursery...

Link: http://www.rarefloweringtrees.com/

The genus Cynometra is not listed on his website, but he still could have it. It seems to be very tropical in nature and might not grow in S. Florida. But, I would ask Richard first anyway. I might see another TFTS member and grower Scott Cohen this weekend, and if I do, I will ask him about the genus.

Ryan

South Florida

Hi Cindy,

It sounds like a fun time lies ahead! I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can or point you in the right direction. I know some of the best of the best, but limited time to explore will be your enemy.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thank you so much everyone for all the great suggestions!

I will follow up on all the leads and I agree that with my minimal time I'll need a second trip in the future!

I've been to the Redlands Orchid festival in May a couple of times and made quick trips to Richard Lyon's lovely nursery as well as Steve Stern's and Gardinos and Ernesto's and even a Rainforest Collection sale several years ago when I'd just started on Palmtalk.

I've been to Selby, Fairchild and Flamingo Gardens,Top Tropicals , Motes and Fuchs orchid nurseries and would like to go back to ALL of them- with my very old station wagon with room to put plants.

I keep a "Florida" file with the names of so many places I'd like to see! Happily many of them are on the Biennial list!

Cindy Adair