IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

palm tree man

I have had a Kentiopsis Olivaformis for years now because it is a really cool palm and it has a beautiful crownshaft. For years I wanted one after reading "The Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms" almost religiously every night before going to bed. One thing that has shocked me is its cold tolerance. I didn't really expect for it to be so cold tolerant. Mine is in a 15 gallon pot, but it did get left out in the elements this winter on accident and it did see 26 degrees with no frost and looked fine afterward. After this mishap, I started doing some research on what others have experienced with this majestic palm. Most are reporting that it is hardier than both common king palms and all the other varieties such as Maxima. What are its limits? I know it is not a Dypsis Decipiens, but what can it endure and for how long? It seems to be very cool toleratn for an extended period of time with some cold but how long if at all can it withstand temps below or around 25 degrees F?

Axel my man, I can always count on you! Thanks buddy. So it seems that they can tolerate below freezing temps but with the protection of canopy. This clarifies things allot for me. Toe to toe which would survive Dypsis Ambositrae, Kentiopsis Oliviaformis, or Cyphophoenix Elegans. Random assortment, I know but I own all three and I was just wondering who was tougher?

My money here would probably tip to Dypsis ambositrae.

I think they're close but ambositrae seems to have the edge in my limited experience here.

I bet that in terms of hardiness and overall plant toughness, Dypsis Ambositrae > Kentiopsis Oliviformis > Cyphophoenix Elegans

Depends on maturity of course and on the form of dypsis ambositrae you have. There's no science or proof behind my guess.

I bet that in terms of hardiness and overall plant toughness, Dypsis Ambositrae > Kentiopsis Oliviformis > Cyphophoenix Elegans

Depends on maturity of course and on the form of dypsis ambositrae you have. There's no science or proof behind my guess.

I concur with your hypothesis

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I thought Ambositrae would have an edge on the others because of its natural habitat and the other palms and plants that grow in it. The other two are not wimps though and I wasn't sure which was hardier. Thanks guys! Ok, now Amositrae versus a common Archontophoenix Cunninghamia? Just the common form not the Inge Hoffman palm which I have not ever tried. Though many say good things about it. Walter John you have a great deal of experience with these in Australia what do you think man?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if any evidence here has included palms of any size for the Kentiopsis. I saw mostly seedlings in the cold hardy report. My experience with royals is that seedlings die at 28F and adults brown up a bit but can take much lower temps. Also duration of cold would be a big factor. I had a small 3 gallon KO seedling get hit by 28F plus heavy frost 2 nights in a row with no overhead protection in Dec 2010. I also had a slightly larger 7 gallon size beccariophoenix alfredii get hit by the same weather. Here is the damage 4 months after for both. Pretty similar results to my eye, perhaps the kentiopsis took it a little better as the spear was undamaged. The thing about Kentiopsis is they grow slowly before trunking so growing out of damage will be slower.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Here is the KO exactly 3 years later Christmas 2013. this palm likes water, but its in a dry spot in my irrigation scheme and doesn't get as much as it should.

Tom Blank

Here is the KO exactly 3 years later Christmas 2013. this palm likes water, but its in a dry spot in my irrigation scheme and doesn't get as much as it should.

That's a nice one!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

thanks keith, I have three large trunking Kentiopsis from ken Johnson. I cant get a good photo of the biggest, about 7-8 foot clear trunk, but here are two smaller ones with 4, 6 foot of trunk. Specimens this size will be notably more cold hardy, I expect.

Tom Blank

I've got about 30 that are working on their first leaf now. I know they grow slowly but the seeds were free. It's nice to see that they're pretty palms even when not trunking though.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Just cause its big dont mean its cold hardier.

Its the rootzone that would determine it all.

You could have the biggest KO from Kens farm brought to you in December, plant it out, let it catch a couple frosty nights, and wham, I would bet bye bye KO

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

You could have the biggest KO from Kens farm brought to you in December, plant it out, let it catch a couple frosty nights, and wham, I would bet bye bye KO

cold hardiness is typically determined from established adult palms, not seedlings and not transplants. ANd in a radiational cooling event like 2010 the coldest air is near the ground, just basic physics. Also the growing point is the most critical part of the palm. You can believe what you want Ray, but it doesn't change the facts.

Tom Blank

Tom what have you seen Kentiopsis O withstand? We all know that I am a bit of a renegade by nature your comments are very welcome here. What have you witnessed my friend?

cold hardiness is typically determined from established adult palms, not seedlings and not transplants. ANd in a radiational cooling event like 2010 the coldest air is near the ground, just basic physics. Also the growing point is the most critical part of the palm. You can believe what you want Ray, but it doesn't change the facts.

It's true, the air right near the ground can be some 10F lower than 6 feet higher. And a larger palm is always hardier than a smaller seedling, and is less likely to be exposed to real cold temperatures.

Kentiopsis is way spear hardier than beccariophoenix, but gets more damage on older fronds. I would prefer the spear hardiness.

• Upvote 1

I Kentiopsis O. seedlings look better than my Beccariophoenix and they saw the exact same conditions. I tested your theory this winter by placing electronic thermometers at ground level and then on a fence post which was around six feet and it proved true each time for the ten times that I tested it. The temps did vary not far form 10 degrees in some cases. If it was 32 at ground level it was around 35 six feet higher very often. Great point.

Tom what have you seen Kentiopsis O withstand? We all know that I am a bit of a renegade by nature your comments are very welcome here. What have you witnessed my friend?

In 2010, the weather station 2 mi west of me on the west side of 75 hit 28F two nights with frost that was scrapable off leaves 2 hrs after sunrise. the grass was entirely frosted all over (3) 4-8' royals, a 4' foxtail and (2) 3' foxy ladies died after spear pull and treatment. I call it 28F x2 but its very likely the station 2 miles west of me(closer to the gulf) was warmer @28F than my yard. the alfredii burned badly as did my little KO, though its spear was intact. the alfredii came back much faster, though. my best guess is that I was 26-28F not sure. the palms were in the ground for 4 good months with warm florida weather before it hit. I expect KO to be hardier as royals are as adults. the problem is luck in planting. When guys go out and plant a truck load of small seedlings then get hit by a 10-20 year cold winter, its tough. I came out thinking that dypsis pembana couldn't make it at my place as all 3 of my 3 gallon seedlings had spear pull. 2 survived though and they are 6-9 feet over all now. I think any time you plant seedlings or marginal adult palms you take a risk, isn't wise to plant them all at once. the become more hardy as the growing point elevates and the roots acclimate.

Tom Blank

According to Tom, Kentiopsis is now a officially cold tolerant palm.

Call the press, call the media.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

According to Tom, Kentiopsis is now a officially cold tolerant palm.

Call the press, call the media.

One can learn from success after failure. I look forward to seeing how your KO fare in the future, Ray. I learned from seeing all the damage in 2010 in our area, including your place. what I learned is that small palms of marginal species are seriously at risk in a 10-20 year cold snap. I don't plant scads of small marginal palms for that reason, but I could have easily have mad ethe same mistake, but not any more. My "claim" for KO is that they are more cold hardy than royals, foxtails and foxy ladies as they survived 28F x2 with frost and the others didn't. It is a degree of cold tolerance that is defined by was I said, zone 9B in our area.

Tom Blank

I dont grow out in the open Tom.

I grow rainforest style.

Under canopy.

I wont subject my palms to frost...

-Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I have seen 19F here in Brandon BTW.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Ray what are you growing right now successfully? Please add weather it is under canopy or not or if any other protection is added. Thank you good sir and thank you for commenting on my thread. Hope that you have had a nice night and a nice day.

Daniel

MorninDaniel.

I love Kentiopsis, and NewCals in general.

I grow under live oak canopy, no exposure to frost.

We get freezes here in Brandon, FL annually.

Prolly two or three a winter, with a BIG freeze, maybe every decade, such as the 2010 winter.

-Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I have a neighbor who has family outside of Tampa not far from your area. You aren't that different than us really then other than we see more cold weather overall. Have you had any success with any palms from New Cal? I have Cyphophoenix Elegans and Kentiopsis O in planters. Which one overall has been the most durable? Was it Kentiopsis Olivaformis or another New Cal palm? Thank you again.

Where are you located PalmTreeMan?

Ive only had palms in the ground now for four yeard, with the exception of a K.elegans that has took my abuse for like six years now.

Burretiokentia hapala, vieillardii, Chambeyronia macrocarpa watermelon, and houilui, Cyphophoenix nucele, and elegans, and KO

Cant really comment on whats tougher. Ive only been at it for four years. But Im hoping Ive got it figured out.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I am on St. Simons island in Georgia on the water, but we don't see frost very often and are typically warmer than Jacksonville during the winter. There is also a great deal of natural overhead oak canopy here as well. I stopped growing many marginal palms years ago, but a select few that are fairly uncommon. During a ten year event I just wanted to be able to provide the best protection possible for those palms and not to have to protect ten or twenty plants you could by at a box store. Canopy has a sheltered position from the cold North winds has worked wonders for me. :) You have a cool assortment of palms Ray! Many of those are some of my favorites!

• 7 years later...

Im in jacksonville fl 32218 but east side to I-95   ,when i lived in mandarin we had Majestic palms for few years but finally hit the bucket. But around my house few people have it on the sunny side mainly on the side where get early sun and also afternoon sun latest as possible... Still they not tall maybe 4-5 feet tall but cheap to replace. The only Majestic palm i know which is at Doubletree by Hilton at Jacksonville airport right by right side at entrance.Its well protected because its by the building and also the building does protection above the tree.That tree is there for over a decade never got burned and any type of protection but the building itself.  I assume in a long term if you dont have good protection you will loose it..,

However Bottle palm which is also sensitive to cold way easier to protect due the max size only 12 feet tall.. you can put 2-3 plants together as a focus piece and usually they have 4-6 leaves for a season each. At cold need to protect it but the good thing is they will not overgrow you. So when cold come just get 4 irrigation pipe which is taller as the tree itself .Hammper around tree and wrap it w plastic film which also sold by lowes or home depot.large roll ,.,,And just wrap wrap wrap so taht frame stay strong to find ,leave max 1 inch at bottom for air..No need water it .And just try to have leaves not to reach plastic. You keep this protection till temp cold maybe feb? Then take of probably leaves will be brown but palm will survive and will open 4-6 leaves by end of fall. Then you repeat. You dont need to water it while its cold beside if its a warmer time you can may hose there some but dont worry about it.That plastic wrap will protect it and will be very nice .I recomend to buy 7 or 15 gal size you you will get a immediate nice showpiece especially if as i said 2-3 together.I didnt put mines together but i will do it early spring next yr that way also only 1 fame need to by built...

You can see photos on my profile they are on ground for years but i purcahsed them as baby. i recomend to purchase a taller plant for better effect.

this plant even in pot in Miami at Versace Village entrance by gate on both side.