IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Latania lontaroides

spockvr6

Small palm in 7 gallon pot.

The "official" air temperature on my weather station (at about 4-5 ft above ground ) was 34F.  But, due to the still air, I measured 29F at ground level.  This palm likely thus saw something in the lower 30's.

This palm was in the open and not exposed to frost.  Lower leaves very obviously "displeased".

This is not a good 3/4 scale Bismarckia replacement  :D

Palms_05-2.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

But Larry, that little one is still in a pot.  A thin, plastic pot, which means its roots were more exposed to the cold than they would be, were the palm in the ground.  Does that make sense?  I think it does.

If it's in the ground next winter, maybe you'll have better luck with it?  Plus, isn't the blue latania the loggidessii (sp!!)? and a wee bit hardier than the lontaroides?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny-

From what I have read, this is a 10a palm.

If it were in the ground, perhaps it would be a bit hardier.  But, to be even the slightest bit damaged at these temps probably implies this one is not very cold tolerant.

But, of course I will plant this one out anyway!

Larry 

• 1 month later...

Here is an updated photo of this palm as of this AM.  Much of the old foliage got fried during that cold night in February. But, otherwise, the palm is growing well.   Perhaps this palm would be a little hardier in the ground and with some more size.

Palms_17-1.jpg

Larry 

• 1 year later...
Here is an updated photo of this palm as of this AM.  Much of the old foliage got fried during that cold night in February. But, otherwise, the palm is growing well.   Perhaps this palm would be a little hardier in the ground and with some more size.

Palms_17-1.jpg

I planted this palm in the grouns sometime in 2007 and although its not been fast (as it does not get full sun), its not been damaged in winter thus far.

Larry