IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CFPACS March 29th Meeting (2 Gardens on FL East Coast)

Mike Evans

It is time for the Spring Central Florida Palm & Cycad meeting. We are going to the East Coast at the end of the month. Another great year is lined up for the Palm enthusiast. You do not have to be a member to join in the fun, but it helps.

YOU’RE INVITED!!!

Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society’s Spring Tour

Tours of One Public & OnePrivate Garden

PLANT AUCTION AND SALE

Saturday, March 29, 2014

10:00am- 3:00pm

(Board meeting at 9:15am – everyone is welcome!)

TOUR #1 – 150 W. University Blvd, Melbourne, FL – Florida Institute of Technology’s Botanical Garden – 10:00am-NOON – CFPACS has been to FIT a few times over the past several years and has participated regularly in their Botanical Festival, just held at the beginning of this month. Our Society hopes to become more involved with the development of the palm and cycad garden. Come see how things have gown since our last visit!

TOUR #2 – 5150 Thompson Rd. Micco, FL Jason Baker & Sue Reilly– 12:30pm – 3:00pm – This 2.5 acre garden is heavily planted with palms (just the way palm people like it!) including a 3 headed Phoenix dactylifera x sylvestris hybrid -branching point is roughly 20 feet high, Mauritia flexuosa over 8 feet tall, survived the 3 back to back cold winters, lots of Copernicia species and Sabal species, 2 large Borassus aethiopum x flabellifer hybrids, Borassus madagascariensis. The next door neighbor will allow members to park on his 5 acre property at 9250 Fleming Grant Rd. There is a gate in his fence that connects our 2 properties and there will be a parking sign.

Lunch at Stop #2 - Chili con Carne, White Bean Chicken Chili and Vegetarian Chili — CFPACS members eat free; non-members $6. Served from 12:30-1:30 - Members asked to bring a side dish: salad, fruit, vegetable or dessert. Drinks will be provided. Bring a chair.

Plant Auction – Following the garden tour starting at approximately 2:00pm. Please bring a plant for the auction.

Plant Sale will immediately follow the auction. Members can sell their plants at the sale. You need to get a member # on your tags for the sale.

cleardot.gif

Mike

Good to hear and lookign forward to the meeting

is there a vendor list ? I havent been to one of these in a spell

Best regards

Ed

Ed, there is not a vendor list. Typically the sales come from the other members. So who ever shows up to sell, no one really knows until they show up. I will be there selling. If you are looking for anything special, let me know & I can bring it. wctropicals.com

Anyone in the Orlando area going that would like to come by Leu Gardens to pick up a few plants? I can't make the meeting but want to donate some palms for the auction. Thanks!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks again Eric for Leu's donations. Always the highlight of the auction. Maryann has you covered. One of these meetings, you will have to hand deliver.

Dave, I will bring some B. condapanna.

Yall are very welcome, glad we can help.

Feb. and March weekends this year have been so busy; speaking engagements, Leu Plant Sale, wedding, moving, etc. !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Parking at the FIT garden is off of Babcock street (Orange circle). Follow path across cover bridge. (Teal arrows). The "X" is where we will meet at 10:00 for our tour. See attached map.

post-112-0-63309800-1395866001_thumb.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45621748@N05/sets/72157643129614544/

Today's photos, original size and unedited. Here's one:

post-275-0-60921700-1396132535_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave, today was a blast! :wub2: It was the first meeting we attended. We learned so much. Thanks to everyone there for letting us ride your coattails! Michael's gonna post some pictures later.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Oh…almost forgot to say your photos are awesome! Jason's palms blew me away…holey schnikies!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink: