IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your last frost date is…?

Palm crazy

I have the feeling this year will be a very long growing season for us on the West coast. I doubt it will freeze this march at my place.

Last frost date here was Feb. 22 @ 32F/0C.

No frost here! I dropped to 36F this winter. So I guess that means that my last frost was in 2011.

Brevard County, Fl

My last frost date is…? No longer relevant. Plant is dead from record cold winter. :winkie:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

No frost here! I dropped to 36F this winter. So I guess that means that my last frost was in 2011.

LOL! :floor: Good one, I would not expect anything less from you.

My last frost date is…? No longer relevant. Plant is dead from record cold winter. :winkie:

Keith I’ve been there. Keep the faith and try again or something more hardy.

long long past! Nothing lower than 45F in weeks and nothing expected below 45F. The warmth will begin coming back in earnest shortly! :)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I have a ton of stuff to pot up and pull out of greenhouses, Im afraid if I get busy doing it, winter will come back just to mess with me. Im going to hold out a few more weeks. LOL

April 30th. . .

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I have a ton of stuff to pot up and pull out of greenhouses, Im afraid if I get busy doing it, winter will come back just to mess with me. Im going to hold out a few more weeks. LOL

LOL, In Visalia?

You should have ZERO problems this late in the year.... unless you are way out of town. Out in the country can be cooler, but remember they grow Hass avocadoes commercially in Tulare county

Here in Modesto, our average date of a freeze is around the last week in Jan and only one in ten or 15 years is there a light freeze after Feb 1st.

Our lows have generally been in the 50's

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

This should make you feel better. Just go for it….http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/two_class.php

And then theres this….http://www.weather.com/video/what-march-has-in-store-for-you-45231?collid=/weather/twc-weather

Edited by Palm crazy

It isnt so much the frost im worried about. I don't want to pot up a bunch of seedlings and have a week or 2 of storms beat them up and keep the soil wet right after I pull them out of community pots.

Ill just go for it soon, ITs a big year for me, Im starting to sell palms, and I have thousands of plants getting shifted up from seedling to 24" boxes.

We usually have nothing to worry about here by March 1. We did have a 31F freeze last year in March though. We still get some nice chilly nights though this time of year.

It isnt so much the frost im worried about. I don't want to pot up a bunch of seedlings and have a week or 2 of storms beat them up and keep the soil wet right after I pull them out of community pots.

Ill just go for it soon, ITs a big year for me, Im starting to sell palms, and I have thousands of plants getting shifted up from seedling to 24" boxes.

Sounds like you have a lot on you plate, no need to rush things you have a long Hot growing season ahead of you. :)

Typically (of course, due to climate change is there anything "typical" these days about weather 'round the world?) the last winter frost/freeze here in the Phoenix metro area is 2/15. However, this winter has seen no freezing temps. in-town. Our spring this year is the earliest on record. Citrus usually doesn't bloom until mid-to-late March, yet it is all but finished now………………….go figure?

April 15, even though I really want to move everything out of my greenhouses today.

I know better though!

When I move I can have my last frost date as never....

Cindy Adair

Didn't have any frost this winter, but I'm assuming you mean frost or 32. Then the last date was December 20th. (31F).

Sucks because we got hit HARD in the 2nd week of December for a few days. If that event didn't happen, my palms would have been doing well in the warmth of Dec, Jan and Feb

Edited by enigma99

Probably March 4th (31F)...average (conservative) last frost date here is around March 15th...nothing very cold in the forecast

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Odd weather continues...unusually chilly mornings in Tampa Bay. Twice in March we hit lower to mid 40'sF. Of course, it warmed up nicely afterwards, but jeez...and now a big cold front coming through with even more rain. NWS stating over an inch possible. For March, usually very dry, that is a monsoon! :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Great Falls, Montana, it was last night. It is a balmy 35 F right now with the low forecast to be 20 F tonight. I got here on Friday night and it was about 8 F . But, then again this is not palm growing climate.

Giant Springs on the Missouri River.

post-188-0-77645000-1395883220_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-49325600-1395883849_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-34800100-1395883852_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-74994500-1395883854_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Beautiful place.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yes it is Keith. Giant Springs is one of the largest volume springs in the world. It is the area where Lewis and Clark past when they made their portage on the Missouri when they explored the the Louisiana purchase in the early 1800's. Lousiana was a very big place back then.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Dead post, I retract it all in all of its stupidity.

Darn it, looks like I had a freeze on March 22 for a short period. I walk out the door at 8:30 am it was 40F but sometime during the night it got clear & cold and temp went to 28.6F. Nothing damaged in the garden but my Ensete ventricosum ‘red leaf' I’m wintering over in a shed got zapped good. Its still alive but will have to regrow new leaves. I’m hoping that’s it for frost or freeze this spring.

The low of 16F this winter really did a number on my abutilons and fuchsia they all have no leaves on them yet, but the main stems are still alive. Peach trees are in full bloom now and none of my tender palms were damage this winter which is interesting since things here get damage at much higher temps than dryer part of US.

Edited by Palm crazy

Here’s a current pic of my tree fuchsia in backyard.

DSC00013_zpsa23f27f0.jpg

Great looking garden. I love the blue paint, too. Great contrast.

Thanks Keith, house looks much better with this custom blue & gold trim than the old pale yellow it was for 50 years.

My garden is pretty green all year thanks to tropical looking plants.

Heres a painted squirrel feeder I painted over the christmas holidays to add some crazy winter color to the garden.

DSC00017_zps9c5ca6b2.jpg

Another pic for you from the backyard today.

DSC00001_zps8d5dc51a.jpg

Peace and have a great evening.

Edited by Palm crazy

2010 at my house in coastal central florida barrier island. Lowest it got this year at my house was 42 degrees f.

My last official frost date came on March 27th. According to this, http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-united-states/zipcode/29063, it's April 1st. 214 Days of growing season.

Before I got into palms, I would have never guess we get freezes in late March. Seems like in previous years March was month where everything warmed up. This year has been a cold one, for sure.

I had several frosts this year but only a freeze "match" (32.0°F). Last frost date that I can remember was April 8 (back in 2002 I believe). The frosts here can happen all the way up to 42°F.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Thought we might be out of the worst of it, 60's and 70's for highs this week. Then I looked at the extended forecast. . . low in the low 30's down to 28.

At least I didn't break my back pulling everything out of the basement yet.

when hell freezes over :floor:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

1948 or something here.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I think it was about Feb 1st here in MoTown... 32f or 31.... didnt cause any damage.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Got down to 23 last night, actually that was the forecast, I didn't check the actual. Although that's not really a shocker in this part of the world, it just adds to my climate anxiety and makes me look forward to living someplace warmer.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Barely escaped one last night by only a degree or two. The crazy winter of 2014 refuses to fade into oblivion.

• 4 weeks later...

The last frost I saw at my place was in mid dec 2013, I live on a river and have a slight microclimate with a slope to drain the cold stuff.

So I usually only see frost once or twice in winter every second or third year and then only in isolated area's.

If I were to think back to a whole yard of crunchy grass it would be dec 2006.

I was growing lettuce and other veggies unprotected this Jan, and only lost a couple of plants more to neglect than frost.

Edited by Chasrobin

Apparently my last frost date was. . . last night.

bugger all