IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My humble NC garden

NCpalmqueen

Great pics of a fantastic garden.  In the very first picture is that a young bottle (Hyophorbe lagenicaulis) by the entrance to the gazebo?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Cindy!

Your garden is truly fabulous.

Better than mine.

Where in NC are  you?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Cindy, congratulations on the beautiful results of your hard labor.

I'd like to pose two questions to you:

1. What's the approximate size of your garden (in square meters, if possible!);

2. How many palms do you have growing in it?

Thanks,

Reuven

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

I am very surprised at all the nice comments y'all have made.  Thank you.  I am not in the same league as you all, but I can mimic the tropical stuff pretty darn well!

To answer some of your questions...

Neofolis--You have good eyes.  Bottle palm, indeed.  I grew it from seed.  Obviously, not planted in the ground!

Dave--I'm near Raleigh, NC.

Ruby2 - I have no idea the size of my garden.  It just sprawls around my house.  I live on 5 acres, but most of that is wooded.

Alice - I have no idea how many palms I really have planted out and I haven't taken inventory lately.  I get sidetracked when I start counting them.  I may try to count and inventory them this weekend and will let you know, if I don't get sidetracked!  :-)

pohokelapa--Check with PDN

Carlo--I have lots of trachys inc. wagnerianus.  My nanny didn't make it, but I have another waiting in the wings of my greenhouse.   yes, my papaya did fruit, but it didn't ripen enough before the cold blasted it.  :-(

I'm working on a web site that shows in detail how my garden has grown.  I'll post the link when its closer to being done.

Have a great palmy day.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Humble????  Cindy, you are kidding right?!  The garden looks beautiful.  At first glance, it looks like somewhere well into the tropics.  You've done a tremendous job.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(NCpalmqueen @ Feb. 26 2007,18:58)

Dave--I'm near Raleigh, NC.

Ruby2 - I have no idea the size of my garden.  It just sprawls around my house.  I live on 5 acres, but most of that is wooded.

Alice - I have no idea how many palms I really have planted out and I haven't taken inventory lately.  I get sidetracked when I start counting them.  I may try to count and inventory them this weekend and will let you know, if I don't get sidetracked!  :-)

Wow - near Raleigh?  I would've thought somewhere in the extreme S/E part of NC.

I wish you had a list of what you've got planted in the ground, and what you keep in pots.  Just amazed by how incredibly tropical it looks at such a high latitude - I think that's the most difficult thing to achieve, btw - and your garden is more tropical than many I've seen here in zone 10.  It certainly is beautiful.

Looking forward to seeing your website, keep us posted please :)

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Absolutely Beautiful Cindy...... I love the bamboo gazebo.   Also, have you grown those washies from seed? How do you protect them in winter and at what temps do you protect?

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Thanks, NYBobby

I grew the robusta from seed.  It requires protection each winter.  I usually clip off the fronds and cover the trunk.  this year I tried saving the fronds.  Didn't work.   I have 4 other washys in the ground, all given to me.  One shows signs of having more filifera in it than the others.  I use various methods to protect them depending on their size.  I protect them all starting in Nov. and remove the protection now (end of Feb.).   Easy to protect while young.  I'm gonna need the fire department to help me in a few years if they keep growing!

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Cindy,

You have a stunning garden! Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Cyndy, This like looking at a botanical garden that charges admission! :P

Really inspiring! Thanks for sharing,

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

I would not snicker at that awsome garden, but i would eat a snickers in that garden,  nice job,  i know you work very hard , very tropical looking.

I echo the comments. Fantastic garden! Beautiful design.

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Thanks, NYBobby

I grew the robusta from seed.  It requires protection each winter.  I usually clip off the fronds and cover the trunk.  this year I tried saving the fronds.  Didn't work.   I have 4 other washys in the ground, all given to me.  One shows signs of having more filifera in it than the others.  I use various methods to protect them depending on their size.  I protect them all starting in Nov. and remove the protection now (end of Feb.).   Easy to protect while young.  I'm gonna need the fire department to help me in a few years if they keep growing!

that's great, Cindy.... I actually left my Washy outside all winter last year and it made it through with flying colors... I had it against a south-facing wall.. but last winter we didn't really get too many nights of temps below 25f.. This past winter (well actually just th end of Jan/beginning of Feb) we got pretty damn cold a few times (down to 8f) so I know it wouldn't have made it so I kept it in my greenhouse.. But they are pretty hardy

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE