IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My humble NC garden

NCpalmqueen

With all the fantastic garden photos that people post in this forum from all over the world, I thought I would add a couple of photos from my own garden here in the heart of N.C. (zone 7b/8a)  I know my little oasis doesn't hold a candle to the other fabulous tropical gardens here, so you can snicker and jeer at my meager plant collection all you'd like.  I can take it!    :D

Entrance to my back yard:

97519930-L.jpg

Stuff out back:

77510253-L.jpg

97519904-L.jpg

97519960-L.jpg

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

A couple more to bore you with:

A wishy washy

97522495-L.jpg

Garden path to my potting shed

97612921-L.jpg

The view from my deck:

97522420-L.jpg

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Front side.  Ugh.  I need to trim that dead leaf off.

77509300-L.jpg

76080867-L.jpg

One of my butia's:

109408544-L.jpg

My Med. Fan

97612925-L.jpg

C from NC

Siler City, NC

no livistona pics?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Yeah really terrible :P

That is a fantastic garden

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Tiki mon

97612918-L.jpg

One of my Pheonix theophrastii's

97612924-L.jpg

A tiny W.filifera

97612917-L.jpg

A W. filibusta

97522410-L.jpg

C from NC

Siler City, NC

A very nice garden Cindy.  I have a p. theophrastii about the same size as yours.  I'm also growing a jubaea here in Dallas and it sailed through last summer's 45+ days above 100*.

A cinnamomum chekingensis and big nanners

97522362-L.jpg

Good Golly, another washy!

91426834-L.jpg

Palmo...for you...livistona nitidia

84749195-L.jpg

C from NC

Siler City, NC

You are a true insperation for all temperate gardners. You can give any 10a'er a run for thier money.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

you rock! ! ! ! , your trunk looks like its fattening right up.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(The Germinator @ Feb. 24 2007,20:44)

You are a true insperation for all temperate gardners. You can give any 10a'er a run for thier money.

Yes, she is an inspiration to us all. Especially the NC folks.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

A very dead monkey..........monkey puzzle tree, that is!

84749194-L.jpg

Twin Trachycarpus takils

81325064-L.jpg

A wider view out front

77510252-L.jpg

Okay okay okay.     Wish I had some exciting palm to show you, but I can only grow Bizzie's in pots.  <sigh> :(

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Tremendous garden.....don't sell your self short at all......this is great!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone!  I have Spring fever.    

Palmo...at first I thought..."you talking 'bout me with a fattening up trunk?"   Then, I got it.    :P

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Hey Matt N Dallas....

Please post a photo of your jub.  And what kind of soil is it in?  And is it in shade at all?   And how old is it?  How long has it been planted out...etc etc etc ?

C from NC

Siler City, NC

What a beautiful garden! I can't believe that is in NC. Do some of the bananas etc. get killed in the winter? Do they come back from the roots with a vengance in the summer? Nice, nice, nice! :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

By the way, there is noting wrong with well grown washies. I just planted six today. I needed more fan palms in my garden  :D

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Cindy,

Your doing a great job. I like it lush too. Thanks,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Cindy,

It looks great to me! You're lucky that you've got so much vegitation EVERYWHERE around you! Out here it's all short twiggy trees- new houses are so barren! You're doing such a great job in such a harsh enviornment for tropicals!!

I thought I saw in one of your pictures a Manihot- is it grahamii?? Those are one of my favorites!!! how has it done for you?

Again, great job!

Patrick

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

You have a beautiful garden Cindy.  If someone showed me pictures of your garden , I'd not guess it to be in N.C.  Do you live near the coast (ocean)?  You are growing cold hardy palms that fit in with all your other "tropical" plants and it all looks fantastic.  I'd enjoy visiting your garden because I'd see palms that we don't hardly ever see here.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Wow. Very impressive. Your garden can rival any zone 10 garden with tropical look.  You have done an amazing job.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Cindy, you should have posted this anonymously...  I think you could have fooled most of us into thinking you lived way further south!!!  That landscape is awesome!  Thanks for sharing!

Hi,

This is so nice garden ...! Good job... for a zone 8a ..! Like you're banana's do they survive out there ? And the palms do you give the Washingtonia's a protection ?

Robbin

Southwest

Where in NC??

Sheeeeesh, that is gorgeous - wish my pathetic lil lot looked half that good!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

It looks like you have put a lot of hard work into your garden which is one of the lushest I have seen on this board.  It's certainly an insiration to us all.

It might take a while, but I wish you would list some of the non-palm plants you have had success with.

Have you had any luck with heliconias?

I am ready for spring too!

Odessa, TX  Z8a

NE edge Chihuahuan Desert

Alt 2800 ft

El Jardin de Quixote

Absolutely gorgeous!  I would have guessed Texas if you didn't have NC in your name or post --

As Patrick said above, we start with bare lots, and I have so so far to get your look.  Did you know you'd make a California girl jealous?!

Love that bamboo gazebo & fencing -- where'd you get that?

Be proud.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Your garden looks marvelous--much better than most of the gardens I've seen here in Southern California.  Robert Lee Riffle would be proud--you truly have "The Tropical Look."

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Why, thank you all for your unexpected nice remarks.  I have a bad case of Spring fever, so I've been sorting through last year's photos.

To answer the questions posted above:

ruskin-  I have several root hardy bananas that return each Spring.  Musa basjoo, Musa sikkimensis, Musella lasiocarpus (sp?).  I have had intermittent luck with dwarf orinoco,  Musa velutina, and musa 'yunnan'.  I love Musa orinoco, but must plant new ones each year.

Patrick - Manihot grahamii is root hardy here and returns with a vengence.  It is a weedy plant...every seed that falls turns into a new plant.  

Al - Thank you for your kind comments as I can't imagine anyone who lives in Hawaii wanting to see any garden in any part of NC!   I live near Raleigh.

Robbin- Yes, I must protect my washys now as they are young.  I am always looking for that pure-bred 100% filifera, so I keep trying new ones.

Jimbiz-  I've tried heliconia schiendiana (sp?) once and it didn't return.  I need to try it again in a more protected spot.  

Kathy - I got the gazebo on the internet.  just search on bamboo gazebo's.  We are in the process of building an outdoor kitchen tiki style.  We'll see how it comes out!

Happy gardening!

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Sheesh Cindy!

I should have it as awful as you to have a garden as beautiful as that!!

And yes, I think you should save a sunny bright spot on a "mound' for a future Jubea... :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Cindy what a wonderful garden you have.

I was about to ask you about your distinctive (but familiar looking) Trachycarpus but then lower down you answered my question. You called them `takils` so I know that they are now...........

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

You got it! It looks more than equatorial ! :)

Any other trachy species? Any white Nannorhops?

Could you get any papaya to fruit?

Carlo

wow!great tropical look!

can i ask if you had to buy the manihot escuelenta plant in the 3rd shot of 1st post on the web,& if so where?

(oops,i think i just did :D )

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Bravo, a great look, the right palms for the right climate too.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Cindy, I think that what you have done is truly inspirational. The photos are nicely done and it looks like you have put many hours of hard work into your yard. I live in a 10a zone (aptly named Royal Palm Beach Florida). I rarely if ever see anything to equal what you have done, Congrats!! :cool:

Kevin Donohue

Excellent mix of plants. Would you mind listing what you have. I only wish my place looked that good.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil