IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia filibusta

jfrye01@live.com

Been doing some research on Washingtonia, stumbled across the "filibusta" hybrid...can anyone give me more information about this palm? Anybody here grown this palm? I'm not planning to grow it here in 6B/7A, as no Washy would stand a chance, just wanting to learn more about this interesting hybrid from some primary sources;) Thanks!

El_Dorado.gif

Its a hybrid of the common filifera and robusta.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

It's supposed to be the best of both worlds. Hardier than robusta, more tolerant of humidity and salt than filifera, intermediate in appearance between the two. I personally like the beefy appearance of filifera, so a robusta with a little filifera in it looks good in my opinion. Sometimes nursery grown, over-pruned robustas are too scrawny looking for my taste. I hear the increased cold tolerance of the hybrid (though definitely present) isn't all that pronounced, so, if someone is in a very marginal area that will support filifera, I'd say probably best to stick with filifera.

Also, the Washingtonia genus hybridizes very readily, and it's likely that much of what is sold as either is really a hybrid somewhere along the line anyway, any washy you see is just a spot along a wide spectrum of variability and hybridity (if that's not a word, I just made it up). It's hard to get a pure strain.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I found two 2' filibusta for $30 and am thinking about buying them. $15 per plant isn't bad, and while I'd try to protect them, even if I couldn't, I could always dig them up and pot them next winter...is there any possibility of keeping these alive in a zone 6b? I just think it would be very difficult to protect them after several years...

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

They are fast growers, so yes your time with them would limited, but nothing last forever.

I have many of these. Trunk thickness is between filifera and robusta. Cold hardiness seems pretty even with robusta. Sensitivty to humidity slightly more than robusta, but much less sensitive to humidity than filifera. Main difference I have seen is in speed of growth. For me filibusta are rocket ships, even compared to robusta which is pretty fast in my climate.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Id say a majority of commercially grown washies are "filibusta". They vary in size, shape, hardiness, and growth rate depending on the ratio of traits inherited from either robusta or filifera

Id say a majority of commercially grown washies are "filibusta". They vary in size, shape, hardiness, and growth rate depending on the ratio of traits inherited from either robusta or filifera

Steve, I have seen that stated before as well. I tend to judge them with the petiole color method, and other characteristics like trunk size. I think it was debated on PT in the past as well.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I find it a little difficult to find an almost perfect 50/50 mix between the two. Usually they lean more to one side of the mix....however, occasionally you do find a tree that looks to be the perfect combination. I have been growing seeds from two such trees in Panama City, Fl. ....it will be interesting to see if they exhibit the same attributes of the parent trees....will look to see if I can find a picture.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 1 year later...

I am pretty much sure this is a filibusta at Shades of Green Resort at Disney World.

10qknxc.jpg

Edited by Opal92

I find it a little difficult to find an almost perfect 50/50 mix between the two. Usually they lean more to one side of the mix....however, occasionally you do find a tree that looks to be the perfect combination. I have been growing seeds from two such trees in Panama City, Fl. ....it will be interesting to see if they exhibit the same attributes of the parent trees....will look to see if I can find a picture.

x2 on the leaning. The filibusta seedlings I have now seem a little too sensitive to the humidity and/or constant watering as bad as the pure filiferas I have. Robustas would be triple the size with all the irrigation and loving it.