IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Identifying Trachycarpus nanus

tank

A couple pics of my T. nanus grown from seed purchased through Rarepalmseeds.com. Just wondering how you key this plant out. Other than the fact that the palm is about 8 yrs old and is still only about 3.5' tall, with no real trunk to speak of, it really doesn't look that different from T. fortunei. Leaves may be more dissected than your standard fortunei. Just want to make sure I have what I think I have.

post-526-0-37754200-1393882176_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-69498000-1393882194_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

This is T. nanus; it's a fifteen year old plant that bears seed every year:

Tnanus12009-1.jpg

Tnanus32009-1.jpg

Tnanus52009-1.jpg

• Like 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Leaves look less dissected in mine that the others. It is in a shady spot under a pine tree. This plant is not trunking and has a distinct lean or "creep" to it as it pushes out along the ground.

Never seen T. "manipur" in person, but mine doesn't look like the photos on the internets. Wouldn't mind if it was a T. manipur

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Thanks Joe and Bananengeknl for the pictures of your plants.

Joe, I'd love to purchase some of your seed if you think that the seeds aren't hybrids with any other Trachys, assuming you have other Trachycarpus species in your yard.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Joe, I too would like to purchase some of your seed if you think they aren't hybrids. Please PM me if you are willing to part with some of them!

I don't think that the seed are hybridized. T. nanus blooms at a different time as T. fortunei. I'll check, but I think that all of this year's seed are gone already.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Not real nanus. . I think Trachycarpus manipur?

Definitely not T. manipur. Looks like T. nanus to me, but hard to tell at that age.

Went out and looked at the plant yesterday and one thing that makes me lean back to nanus is that all of the "less dissected" portions of the leaves are wanting to split and most of these "fatter" leaflets have partial splits in their middle areas. If all of these split as the plant ages, and it continues to not form a trunk, I would feel better about calling it T. nanus. Also, the backsides of the leaves are glaucous.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 2 weeks later...

I would say both post #1 and #4 are T nanus. There are two distinct variations growing in China currently under the same species taxon.

The first is found in habitat near Yongcheng, Yunnan, China is bluish gray, glaucous on both sides of the leaf and from a relatively dry climate. They possess deeply folded, narrow segments on the leaf. I would guess this variety is the plant in post #4.

The second type, found on Mount Jizu Shan, Yunnan, China, is very different. In habitat they carry fewer, softer, green leaves with flat slender leaflets on long petioles. They generally grow in deeper shade with more moisture. This one looks like post #1.

I started mine from seed obtained from Toby Spanner also. He posts from time to time here on PT, so maybe he will chime in here and tell us more about nanus.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.