IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Xanadu' Philodendron

gsn

I picked up some Xanadu' Philodendron 3 gallon size ,very full bushy plants. I want to use them as ground cover in some beds,and as understory around, and under some queen palms.  

How much sun can these take here in Florida, full, filtered,  any,or dense shade?

thanks

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Over here in Queensland they will take full sun once adjusted. They also grow well in semi-shade.

Be warned that these will grow into large clumps almost the same size as Philodendron selloum!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

same here in south Texas.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Scott,

These will grow to about 4' tall. I have several in the yard, they make a nice filler, or grouping. They will grow in full sun to partial shade. Make sure you don't plant them in too much of a sandy soil.( High Ph) They prefer good rich topsoil.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the info everyone. From what I read on the net these don't do very well in a full sun situation.So I am glad I asked for first hand experience! Concensus is they will be okay even in a full sun situation?

Jeff,

I wouldn't have thought they got that tall? But that shouldn't be a problem where I intend to use them.

I was expecting them to spread, do they form new shoots from rhimozomes?

Can they be seperated (divided) as such, if the clump gets to big and transplanted to differnce areas?

Or would it be better if one wanted to contain them just to cut of shoots coming up around the perimiter of the plant?

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Scott,

Mine in the yard are every bit 4' tall. I'll try to post a pic. but time is limited this week with my sale this weekend.

New shoots do not come off of rhyzomes. There's many small plants in the pot. They are strictly from tissue culture. You can cut a plant say from a 3gal. and devide into half, if you want. But, the more you devide it, the more chance of killing it, and.....the clump will grow into a very thin clump. I don't advise deviding it. They do usually look their best with a little shade, they will stay a little more greener.

I hope this helps some.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Do these tend to fall over and become sprawling like selloum? I like that look when there is space to allow it, but some well behaved philos whould be nice too!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I have seen these in full sun all over orlando and here in SoCal as well.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter