Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

Plant Delights Feb. 2014 Newsletter notes Winter results for Coldhardy Palms

Alicehunter2000

For those too scared to click on the link... :winkie:

Since we mentioned hardy palms earlier, our Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill palms) looks fine, other than a few scorched older leaves. The Trachycarpus fortunei 'Wagnerianus' also look great. Surprisingly, our plant of Trachycarpus takil got some unexpected leaf scorch. Needle palm, Sabal minor, Sabal x brazoriensis, Sabal sp. 'Tamaulipas', Sabal minor var. louisiana, all look fine, although some of our less hardy forms of Sabal palmetto took a hit. Butia catarinensis looks quite dead, as does our Butia odorata. Surprisingly, one of our Butia eriospatha growing nearby shows minimal damage along with one specimen of Butia capitata. The real palm shocker was two Serenoa repens from Colleton County, SC showing little or no damage. We say, surprising, because we have never been able to over-winter a Serenoa repens.

The xButyagrus nabonnandii look pretty fried and the spears have started to pull. Spears are the undeveloped newer emerging leaves, which give us the first indication of cold damage on palms trees. Spear pull isn't always deadly, but it's certainly not a good sign. xJubautia splendens 'Dick Douglas', a hybrid of Butia x Jubaea looks better than the xButyagrus, but the spears have also pulled from several of these...most disappointing. Most of our Cycas looks okay, although all have lovely tan-brown foliage. After last frost we'll cut back the old fronds and they should promptly reflush with new leaves.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• TobyM
      By TobyM
      Howdy yall. I’m making an effort to identify a beautiful Sabal which has been growing for at least three and not more than five years in a prototypical type locality of the North Texas palm: a mexican restaurant. I would have quickly assumed it to be a Sabal mexicana based on its size, depth of the costa, as well as the general abundance of this species hereabouts. But when I approached it I quickly noted the abundance of erect inflorescences, a quality reminding me more of S minor. Yet behold; the panicle is branched thrice, unlike minor.
      My next observation pertained to the plant’s performance during the ‘even younger dryas’ Texas Valentine’s ice age 2021. It is on a south facing stucco wall, protecting it from the wind during the ~141 hours below freezing with an ultimate low of -2F. It suffered ~65% defoliation but quickly recovered, making no delay in flowering this spring. Seems comparable to other S. mexicana in the area. 
      It is tied up to keep the fronds out of the drive-through, which I thought might be keeping the inflorescences upright. But my inspection left me feeling like the spikes are upright of their own accord, but of course I am uncertain. 
      The seeds are varied,  but larger than the S palmetto seed I have seen around here. The infloresence is quite stout. 
      Do you know if mexicana flowers before trunking? 
      Do you have a guess at the species? 
      Muchas gracias!

• MSX
      By MSX
      Hello everyone! I've been into palms for quite some time but this is my first experience of watching a palm grow from seed, and it happened that this is a Butia. I've been following these recommendations Germinating Butia Seed By Nigel Kembrey. Chamaerops No. 51 - published online 22-04-2005. According to the recommendations, a seed starting soilless medium contains 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. The medium was watered only once in the beginning before placing the nuts on the top of it, now it's almost bone dry to touch. Having spent nearly a month in a container (7 days of soaking + 21 days on the top of the medium) one of the seeds(nuts) have sprouted

Two more days and it pulls the nut up burying deeper into the perlite/vermiculite medium

The article mentioned above suggests the following: "I tend to allow the seedling to develop in the perlite until the leaf is visible, and then lift it out and pot it up. This gives the best survival ratio." So, my question - should I leave the nut like this until it develops the first small green leaf before transplanting it from the soilless medium to a separate container with a regular soil based medium? Or is it okay to move it in to the soil based medium right away? Thanks!
    • CoconutGambler352
      By CoconutGambler352
      Howdy everyone. ( I absolutely love this forum and The people that come with it ) 
      Anyways, I was out and about today with my neighbor. While out riding around, we had went to a part of the county where Sabal Minors are everywhere but anywhere else in the county are few and far . Well I literally can spot out Sabal Minors in the woods, As we're driving by . 
      Long story short, I got myself one that I personally dug out. For as long as I can remember, Sabal Minor has been on the top of my Must Have Palm Tree lists.
      So, here I am, Asking for Advice/Help with the best proper transplanting for said Palm. Basically I do not want this to die. 
      Removing the fronds, would be a good idea? Let the water trickle on it every night until dawn, for how many weeks? 
      Here's the Sabal Minor that I have dug out. Like to get y'all's opinion. 
      Thank you!! Oh and Yes It's currently in my Pond for the protection of the roots,  So that the roots will not dry out/up resulting in a confirmation for dying. 

• Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      Anyone having any luck with pure Butia in central Texas? Initially several of the largest in the area looked like they had some green in the center. However, now more than a month later they look worse. These experience around 5F. I must have had too much faith in their cold hardiness?
      Should they be trunk cut now that the green is fading? I am asking for someone who has 7 nice ones that is hesitating. Copper fungicide applied and last checked a couple weeks and only 1 spear pulled then.

• Mr.SamuraiSword
      By Mr.SamuraiSword
      As I am presently living in Nashville, I wanted to get the scoop on palms in the area. On a FB palm group (NAPA I believe) I found a guy who lived in Henderson (20 minutes north of East Nashville) Tennessee who offered to show me some of the palms in the area.  I was very surprised that there were any unprotected palms besides Needles and Sabal minor, and was more surprised at how many I saw in a relatively small area.  Ill add he knew of more but It had gotten late, and we plan on doing another palm "hunt" in the future.
      First this large windmill palm near Old Hickory Lake.  According to the owner he bought two windmill palms about 15 - 17 years ago (this being one) while in Orlando around a 5 gallon size after asking about palms to grow in cold hardy climates.   Sadly the other one died (visible in photo) a few years ago after a winter, it simply declined and died.  The guy who was showing me around was pretty sure it wasn't cold damage as it was apparently a mild winter.  This palm has never been protected, and the trunk was about 17 feet tall.  

Notice all these volunteers too.

he also had a smaller one he planted around 8 years ago.  very fat trunk. More volunteers too.

Few other Windmills around the area. This one on a property right on the lake.
      Two more by a pool.

The guy who I went with also had a very impressive garden.   He had some non palms that were still impressive But i will add those at the bottom of this post.
      Sabal palmetto, never protected, under a small roof area, planted 15 years ago.

Another palmetto, this one's first winter.  Not bad damage considering this winter was colder then most, apparently duration wise.
      \
      Needle clump around 20 years old.

Not sure the age on this one.

Lots of nice Sabal Minor, some of these he believes aren't fully sabal because they have outgrown some other Sabal Minor he planted much earlier.  Either way he has around 20 - 25 planted around and had a literal bucket full of fresh seeds.
      These some of the self ID'd Lousiana, sold as Minor. He also said these would sometimes get very mild burn while the full minor didn't.  All were purchased as minor.  

One in back right is Sabal Birmingham.  Two others are minor.

These are apparently full Sabal Minor.  These were older then the others.

Windmills too, planted around 8 years ago dont fully remember.  None of these palms have ever been protected I should add.

Back near the lake, We also stopped at a place with two Sabal Palmetto palms. He apparently had never stopped here to ask so we did.  The owner said he dug up the "palm" in Jacksonville around 15 years ago.  He did not think It was a palmetto, though when we looked we decided it was, and told him as such.  apparently its slower then usual growth rate is due to the owner having a habit of cutting off all fronds with noticeable burn, and ice damage.  We also figured he thought it was a single palm and probably dug up several of them in the same place at once.  Also never protected.   

At the Henderson Memorial park, apparently there used to be a Sabal Minor and Birmingham (the latter donated by my "guide"). The Birmingham died somehow, and the Minor was pulled out after over a decade to put in a trash can (yeah I know).  But down the peninsula, into the woods a little, were many Sabal Minor naturalizing littering the ground, near some swampy areas.  There was easily over 100 mixed in spread out over 100/100 feet 

There were some other houses we passed by with palms,  he knew a person who owned this place, and apparently this a Sabal Birmingham. No other palms on the property

Another windmill. Some of the plants looked like they had been wrapped including this, so we assume some fronds were cooked by Christmas lights. He intends to going back to warn them about it.
      Also 
      also a needle at the same place.

Another home with large Sabal Minor.

They also had a needle and a smaller Minor too.

Now for some of his other rare non palms. Yucca aloifolia for starters. This area really seems like a 7b despite its zone designation.

Sago Cycads, been there at least 5 years, come back every year as perenials. both have green here,

Two live oaks laden with Spanish Moss.

Some kind of Eucalyptus I forgot which one.

I ended up getting one of the Large Windmill palms offspring while we visited.  I have since cleaned it and potted it better, this was the only photo I have.