IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold in Cali  Again!

happ

After yesterday's very disappointing storm [cold fronts bring wind & a very little rain  :(  a mini plunge of polar air follows.  Expect minimums in the 30's inland except were it is windy. 40's across basin.

This is cold air blowing strongly over California [gusts over 30 mph at my location]. As long as it stays in the "blowing" stage, we are safe.  But this week will be cooler than normal w/ some clouds at times [& probably no rain.

El Nino is slipping way  Incredible  visibility of over 50 miles. Santa Catalina Is looks so close  :P  

This always seems the pattern during Academy Awards night.  ???

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

36F right now. Not nearly as bad as the huge freeze. We even had a few flakes fly around here last night.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Frost and 29 in Fallbrook this morning

At our place in Queensland a pleasant 72 low and 89 high.

Why am I here???????????

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Holy cow! 30.0F at 0600 this morning and holding steady for the last hour as sunrise approaches. I moved a couple things under canopy last night, but I am still too tired of moving stuff during the big freeze to move anything big.  Just what we need as plants are starting to wake up or recover from a brutal winter.

I sure hope this is the end of the freezing temps this season!

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

(Cycadcenter @ Feb. 24 2007,06:28)

Frost and 29 in Fallbrook this morning

At our place in Queensland a pleasant 72 low and 89 high.

Why am I here???????????

So does this mean Fallbrook is as cold as the central valley, or are these freak temps?  If Fallbrook routinely gets as cold as I do here, I need to take a shopping spree!

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Robert,

We are in a "cold hole"  a friend a mile away is consistantly 10 degrees warmer than I am at exactly the same elevation.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

36F over night here... :(  (in the cold back yard)

Not out of the "cold 07" winter for a week at least...  :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Guess I'm lucky here -- just around 40 for a low -- California is all messed up, with SoCal readings rivaling NorCal's.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

LOL!....

I'm with you Steve...I'm not moving anything else again this winter...I just spent two days moving all the plants back to where they "should" be for the spring and summer...if I lose some...oh well.

Getting ready to bust out the fert...WOOHOO!!!

37F this morning. Weather.com shows our lows back above 40F tomorrow and for the next week with some cloud cover.

At least it's warming up fast this morning.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

44F / 6.6C minimum.  Currently @ 12:45 : 67.5 / 19.7C

Another night of fairly cold temperatures.  :(

Here's a taste of late winter beauty in the Grove [by CBS studio] this morning  

P6020007.jpg

P6020002.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Our minimum temperature since Midnight was 41F, Maximum gust 15MPH.

Really a gorgeous day today :cool:

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Again the cold over there ? Good luck ... en hope the cold will not stay a long time, this time.

Is very strange to see, that you guy's have seen more frost and lower tempetures then my. I live in Northwest Europe ... and you in the "warm" climate ...

If i look to you're nighttempeture's and if i look to mine from last night, the tempeture don't go lower then 46F/7.8C And my night tempeture is from 8 februari don't go lower then 35F but the most of the night's are above 40F ... So that's really strange to see ...!

Robbin

Southwest

36F in my cold spot (back yard) again last night!!  :(

I wish all these folks that are 100% convinced that man is making the world warmer would hurry up and fix it so we get warmer again...lol

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm seeing 43-44F, down from 48-49.  Not bad, but I wish the days were warmer.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

(Exotic Life @ Feb. 25 2007,04:28)

Again the cold over there ? Good luck ... en hope the cold will not stay a long time, this time.

Is very strange to see, that you guy's have seen more frost and lower tempetures then my. I live in Northwest Europe ... and you in the "warm" climate ...

If i look to you're nighttempeture's and if i look to mine from last night, the tempeture don't go lower then 46F/7.8C And my night tempeture is from 8 februari don't go lower then 35F but the most of the night's are above 40F ... So that's really strange to see ...!

Robbin

Interesting observation, Robbin and ironic.  Global warming, theoretically, includes wide swings characterized by more extreme heat & more extreme cold  ???

I think we are entering uncharted territory  :o

But glad, none-the-less, that winter has been kind to northern Europe  :cool:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

i wont mention the high and lows here in deep south Tx,  I am not that mean spirited.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

3C (37F) on Saturday morning, my last in Altadena.  It feels noticeably warmer when I walk around at 6AM here in El Sereno - like typical April mornings in Altadena.  Unfortunately, I don't have my thermometer set up yet for "official" temperatures...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Ahh Jack!

I was wondering when you were going to change your tag line...then I would know its official.  I'm happy for you and la Hoagie, man!!!!!

Jack...how far inland are you from the pacific ?  :;):

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Jack?

Don't you love us no more?. sniff...sniff...   high fallutin' zone elevener now ...

(BS, Man about Palms @ Feb. 27 2007,18:42)

Jack?

Don't you love us no more?. sniff...sniff...   high fallutin' zone elevener now ...

My bad Bill - I've just been busy with work/moving/etc.  Plus, I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out how far inland I am from the Pacific, so I can answer Steve's question ???

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack...go back to your old grade school books. It should have a conversion chart there for you, somewhere. It must be frustrating having to convert metrics all the time.  :cool:

Steve, how old are you in Metric? :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt...I realized metrics were BS when no one could convert "knee high to a grasshopper" for me. Nor could they give me a celcius conversion on "colder than a well diggers a##. That was the end of it for me.

Like I've said in the past, it's just a passing fad, sorta like the internet...

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Feb. 26 2007,20:05)

as the crow flies?

I get by with a little help from my fronds

35F yesterday and the same last night in the cold "pit" last night... :(

Please Lord, make the cold go away...................................

(palmazon @ Mar. 02 2007,09:17)

as the crow flies?

....a laden, or unladen crow??

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Mar. 02 2007,10:07)

as the crow flies?

..what is the crow's motivation?

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I just returned from vacation and my hi/lo therm since I have been gone for a week showed a low of 42. Cold, but not teeth shattering.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(Kim @ Mar. 02 2007,10:22)

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Mar. 02 2007,10:07)

as the crow flies?

..what is the crow's motivation?

I believe it is carrying a coconut...you know, by grasping the husk.

metric or standard crow?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Roosters crow; hens deliver.

Kim Cyr

(pohonkelapa @ Mar. 02 2007,13:11)

metric or standard crow?

Paul,

It might even be an Imperial system  crow, or an International system crow! Don't want to leave any crows OUT!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Mar. 02 2007,13:00)

How is that possible,we all know there are no coconuts in California,except at the supermarket! :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Has anybody seen a thread around here?   I know I saw it someplace.......

(gsn @ Mar. 02 2007,15:22)

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Mar. 02 2007,13:00)

How is that possible,we all know there are no coconuts in California,except at the supermarket! :D

Scott

The nuts were hangin low in Miami  :P  Spectacular cocos everywhere.  Too bad I had the flu  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23