IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmfest 2007

SubTropicRay

I have called some of the active members with the NE chapter and they will have their board meeting in a week or so and make a decision as to whether they will host "Palmfest 2007" can we give them 2 weeks to reply?

Ed and the rest did much work last year. The ball was dropped because everyone had a reason that this or that particular date was bad.

It is the party of the host chapter they are the ones that should set this in motion. If their response is negative then we should go back and start over again in Palm Beach. If Palm Beach is negative for 2007 the next venue should be South Florida, Central Chapter, SW Chapter, and Broward Chapter.

I really feel we must treat this with some professionalism and continuity. I thank Christian for bring this issue front and center.

Find listed below another bunch of plant nuts that could teach us something about the cold tolerances of tropicals. They could possibly help us (the NE Chapter) pull this off.

My $.02 worth,

John

Southeastern US Palm and Exotic Plant Society

President: Gary Hollar (NC) palm45@cox.net

Vice President: Rick Davis (SC) rickdavis@comporium.net

Membership Contact and Treasurer: Will Taylor (TN) tnpalmdude@aol.com

Editor/Web: Jeff Stevens (TN) jeffstev@comcast.net

Alabama Director: Hayes Jackson   N2tropicAL@aol.com

Georgia Director: Will Fell wfell@frontiernet.net

North Carolina Director: Pete Sayre petesayre@nc.rr.com

South Carolina Director: Jerry Finley  jerry99jf@aol.com

Tennessee Director: David Cox  dcox@vol.com

At Large Dir: David Varnado (MS) camptopisaw@juno.com

JCD

South Florida

We have found someone willing to run a Palmfest. This is no easy task! I am sure our members are excited to vist any venue just for the fun of it. I have heard nothing from any other chapter other that that they have their plates full just running their sales and clubs in general.

If There is no further objection from John, or other clubs, then we need to let Christian start the ball rolling, we are out of time. I will let Chris know and ask that Central Florida be the recipient of 1/2 the profit from the event. Any objections? If not look for a notice in the next few days.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

cool... so where will it be located?

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(Ken Johnson @ Mar. 20 2007,12:55)

No objections yet? I will give it another minute  :-)

Ken,

Why don't we at least give the NE chapter until this weekend to decide.  They are holding a meeting this Saturday and I will be attending.

Thanks,

Jason

We had an internet outage in my area, so I am posting from my girlfriend's house in the next town over. I have talked to those interested, and PACSOF will be reinstated as an entity by John DeMott. I am going to act as secretary/treasurer and will seek a venue in my area or regionally. This will not be sponsored by a society chapter as of yet, but hoping for some chapter to step in, as it is only to their benefit both for PR and financially. I will start to talk with hotels, restaurants, and gardens in the area and let everyone know the progress.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Thanks for accepting this responsibility Christian.  I organized the 2001 event with Dave Witt.  If you would like some help/suggestions, give me a call.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Chris,

I am ready to help too! We can use this thread as a check list to make sure we have things covered. I will donate a few cases of beer (I know how to get the party started!)

Maybe we can donate some of the proceads to N. E.?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Cool.... I'm excited..... So I guess we're talking about the Venice/Naples/Ft. Myers Area?

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

SW sounds good.  There are more palms down there as well as some good Cycad venues.

Any one heading south from the North is welcome to visit my garden just south of the GA-FL state line. I live 6 hours north of the venue.

Best regards,

Ed

Palm Beach, West Central, Miami-Dade and SW Florida have all hosted a Palmfest.  This event "should" be held at an east central location i.e. Melbourne, Cocoa, Vero Beach and/or Ft. Pierce.  Just my two cents.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Chris is trying to get us in a spot on one of the Keys near Venice. We will also go to Naples, maybe by bus for a day, party there and then finish that night back at the host hotel.

A week or two after Memorial  Day may be better. Cheaper hotel, less trafic, a hotel that we can take over?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Guys, I am going to go ahead and just throw out places and emails. Wherever the most interest is will most likely end up being the place. If PACSOF is behind that, which I count on, any chapter can come up to sponsor the event, or we can figure something to do with the money made.

I had internet problems lately but emails will be going out tonight.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

any updates, yet ?

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I am going out today with my girlfriend to Siesta Key to look at a bunch of resorts and restaurants. I will be back with pictures and hopefully a good hotel at which we can stay.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε