IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmfest 2007

SubTropicRay

Paul C. and John D.,

Now that the Biennial year has come and gone, are there any plans to have a Palmfest this year?  May is approaching and would be an ideal time of year.  Perhaps Memorial Day weekend would work as it did back in 2003.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

YES YES.... lets do it....   I'm in..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby,

It's a blast but the last one was back in May 05.  It was changed to occur in years opposing the IPS Biennials.

Ray

Bobby,

It's a blast but the last one was back in May 05.  It was changed to occur in years opposing the IPS Biennials.

Ray

So.... then we're due :) .. May of 07..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

I hope so.

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 22 2007,22:54)

Bobby,

Ray

So.... then we're due :) .. May of 07..

yea.....were due alright! This event is alot of fun( heavy drinking, wild women and men, etc.) ohh wait, that was the shoe convention last year, sorry. No, but it is alot of fun, and great to get together with all the palm-aholics.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I know how to get this thing going but I do not have time. John DeMott and Jody Hanes helped with the first one and I think there have been 5 total.

The 501 status needs to be renewed and then a group needs to decide on a venue. The seed money is available but not without the 501C3.

Invitations go out to all palm groups in the WWW. area code and "we" take reservations. It needs to be 3 days and have food, auctions and sexy nights! (palms are optional).

The last one sold out an entire hotel! We had the place to ourselves with hot tub, pool, fruit spectacular, and all the palms you could handle. In fact all 5 were about the same way!

Time for #6?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Someone needs to be in charge of organizing it. This is not an IPS sanctioned event, but a PACSOF event that involves all the Florida palm societies. It was the North Florida Palm Society or First Coast's turn next, but some people wanted it to stay south so there were more palms so to speak.

I will take charge in finding a venue if no one else wants to. We can have it over here if it suits everyone, possibly in the Venice/Sarasota/Bradenton/Punta Gorda area. There are many hotels on the barrier islands here that are tons o' fun, and Siesta Village has excellent nightlife, the important part. If whoever is in charge of PACSOF wants to give me the go to find places, I can do so immediately.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Ok, I'll bump this to the top so it stays fresh on everyone's mind :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Christian,

Perhaps Libby Besse could accomodate one of the stops?

Ray

PiousPalms · Posted on Feb. 28 2007,14:40

Okay, I'll be the dummie newbie and ask the question.... What's a "Palmfest??"   If there's techno music and glow sticks count me out!

Think of a Biennial, but on a smaller scale, in one of the palm rich areas of Florida. Tours, visits, maybe a presentation or two, and a big auction would be the main parts of a Palmfest. Anything is possible and considered, including a bit more alcohol than one would expect. From that point on, it might get a bit blurry for most people.

Ryan

South Florida

Ray-

Perchance she could, I can give her a call about that. There is another place on Siesta Key that may be worth a look as well. I just need the go from someone in charge! If not Im going vigilante......

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Chris and All,

I am thinking that if the board can be put back in place, I can contact the main people, we (Chris in the lead) should start planning.

In past events we have concentrated on one area. Maybe now we should turn it into more of a bus tour where we use two hotels? An East coast - West coast thing? Either way it is time to get started.

PACSOF has "lots" of seed money that can be used to get the meeting (party) started. The idea is to bring people from all over the state (all palm people are invited!) togeather to help the individual chapters assist each other in promoting their activities, maybe even starting a state wide news letter! In reality (so far) we end up with the best "palm meeting" ever presented.

Is everyone ready?

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

The two coast thing might be more involved.  I'd stick to the one area since it has worked well in the past.

The two coast thing might be more involved.  I'd stick to the one area since it has worked well in the past.

Ray, I tend to agree with you - at least for myself attending... The Dual-Coast idea is awesome, but I think it would need to be planned at least 6 months - Year in advance to coordinate everyone.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Ok guys I will take care of the 501c3 status. Half of our funds are being held in an account by the SW chapter and Larry Davis has the other half in the Broward Chapter.  Once I get the paper work in order we will need a Prez. VP, Treasurer, and Corresponding Sec.

Palmfest was hosted by the SFPS, next came the Palm Beach guys, than the SW chapter, the Central Chapter, and the last one was in Ft Lauderdale hosted by the Broward Chapter. The next venue should be the NE Chapter. We almost had this done but because of not being able to agree on a dates, or a host hotel, it sort of fell by the wayside. Chuck Hubbch and a host of other NE palmofiles stepped up to the plate and were more than ready to open some neat gardens.

The NE Chapter needs to step up to the plate and host this event. If we are going to put this together in St Aug. and Jax  we should contact the Southeastern Palm Society http://www.sepalms.org/index.html for support. They have a good website and seem well organized.

PACSOF splits the revenue with the host chapter.

We need to find a host hotel that will block off 30 to 40 rooms for us, hopefully at not more than $150 per night for 2 nights Friday and Saturday.

We have tried to keep the cost at $75 to $125 per person for registration. The registration fee usually covered one banquet type evening. Entrance fees if applicable, cold drinks available during the garden tours. A box lunch if need be. Sometimes T-Shirts sometimes not.  

We usually visit a garden/nursery or two on Sunday mornings and most of us are on our way home by noon.

The Palm and Cycad auction is usually held Sat evening or Sunday Morning,

We need to agree on a date.

JCD

South Florida

John and All,

In the event that N.E. does not respond right away we should let Christian Faulkner run this as a Central Fl. project. Larry Davis tells me that if they have the 501 in order we just send then some seed money and let them go. Chris has studied a West coast trip, has palms to see , only needs a host hotel. If he gets started NOW he can be ready for the first week in June. That would be better than after hurricane season when we may all be out of energy from cleaning up!

I hope that the West coast trip goes as Jax. palms are few and far between as well as being far away.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

John and All,

In the event that N.E. does not respond right away we should let Christian Faulkner run this as a Central Fl. project. Larry Davis tells me that if they have the 501 in order we just send then some seed money and let them go. Chris has studied a West coast trip, has palms to see , only needs a host hotel. If he gets started NOW he can be ready for the first week in June. That would be better than after hurricane season when we may all be out of energy from cleaning up!

I hope that the West coast trip goes as Jax. palms are few and far between as well as being far away

Im in no matter where it is - does anyone have any ideas of the date yet? Early June would be good...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

What about Memorial Day weekend?

What about Memorial Day weekend?

That would be great as far as time off for everyone.. Oh, but if we're gonna do that weekend, I'm gonna need to get a flight asap or they'll be all sold out.. I guess I could always drive down if worse came to worse..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Redland @ Mar. 08 2007,21:30)

Palmfest was hosted by the SFPS, next came the Palm Beach guys, than the SW chapter, the Central Chapter, and the last one was in Ft Lauderdale hosted by the Broward Chapter. The next venue should be the NE Chapter. We almost had this done but because of not being able to agree on a dates, or a host hotel, it sort of fell by the wayside. Chuck Hubbch and a host of other NE palmofiles stepped up to the plate and were more than ready to open some neat gardens.

The NE Chapter needs to step up to the plate and host this event. If we are going to put this together in St Aug. and Jax  we should contact the Southeastern Palm Society http://www.sepalms.org/index.html for support. They have a good website and seem well organized.

John,

Has anyone contacted the First Coast Palm Society?  If not, I can reach out to Matt Encinosa to check on their ability to host the event.

Thanks,

Jason

I regret that I cant make some of those locations but I intend to visit the palmetum in Teneriffe if Carlo buys the beers!

Seriously; I dont reckon he got my latest email . . . ?

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Hey fellas, I live here in jax, is there anyone I can call?

Dave

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

How about 6/2 or 6/16?  I will be on my way to Orlando the first weekend and returning from St. Croix the second weekend.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Geri Prall and Larry Davis have about $7000 total of PACSOF funds, in the SW Chapter and Broward Chapter respectively.

If we can get a member from each chapter to serve as director that will work with the board I will reinstate our corporate status.

John DeMott

Sorry for the cross posts under Discussing palm trees world wide.

JCD

South Florida

You can count on me to be there again. Last time was a blast. I won't be able to be the SFPS rep. until I have a few less responsibilities here, but maybe in the future. Will Ken or John be one of the directors again this time?

Bill Olson

I am going to take on the CFPACS chapter PACSOF member responsibilities pending a vote at our meeting this Saturday. Does that make sense?  :cool:

I just talked with John DeMott and we are encouraging North Florida's chapter to set things up. If y'all make a decision on whether to or not soon, that would be excellent.

Christian Faulkner

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I'm glad to see so much interest in this.... Just waiting till everyone has a firm date..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Christian,

Make sure to avoid anything after mid June.  The hurricanes start to get cranked up then.

Ray

Hey Jeff,I missed that last scan.

What is a "shoe convention"?

Sounds kinda interesting.

If Andrea signs up you consider me booked.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

All,

This is where we were last year at this time. We failed to pull it off because we could not pick a date. We must first agree on a date than find a host hotel. The rest seems to come togather. We need the host chapter to help and there seemed to be a willingness.

Pick a Date!  

John,

This should give you my home e-mail address. I got your message but it has been a hectic weekend. Matt Encinosa forwarded this to me.

One thing I have learned is that the University requires use of its catering service. Although it is decent food, this means sandwiches and assorted vegetables. Florida Community College Jacksonville - South has the Palm Society chapter's collection and might be a better choice if possible. If it helps, I have a friend who does barbecue catering and I would eat styrofoam if he fixed it.

Matt and I have talked about this. We have been in the dark up to now but it sounds like something must be happening.

Chuck

----- Original Message -----

To: mencinosa@aol.com ; hubbuch@bellsouth.net

Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:06 PM

Subject: FW: PalmFest 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:31 PM

To: 'redland@netrus.net'; 'edwin brown'; 'John'; 'Jim Menge'; 'dc_palm@msn.com'; 'merrill wilcox'; 'Merrill Wilcox'; 'michael cajone'; 'ed brown'; 'PACSOF@yahoogroups.com'; 'budrot@earthlink.net'; matt encinosa

Subject: PalmFest 2006

We seem to be gaining some ground. I talked to Chuck Hubbch and Dave Casella. Chuck will be our guest speaker Saturday night. He is now with the University of North Florida and suggested we could possibly have a BBQ at the university Sat night. Not sure how far this is from the host hotel (which should be some were between Jax. and St. Aug.) but this should be taken into consideration. Dave is the local chapters president he and their members have committed to help this come together.

We would like to charge $100 per person to register for Palmfest and if we can find a hotel for no more than $125 per night this should work. We should able to pre-book at least 35 rooms. Dave and his members should be getting these things firmed up over the next week or two.

John Bishock is drumming up support on the IPS forums.

JD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 12:23 PM

To: 'edwin brown'; 'John'; 'redland@zone10.com'

Cc: 'Jim Menge'; 'dc_palm@msn.com'; 'merrill wilcox'; 'Merrill Wilcox'; 'michael cajone'; 'ed brown'; 'PACSOF@yahoogroups.com'; 'budrot@earthlink.net'

Subject: RE: Hotels in st aug. PalmFest 2006

Ed, et, al,

Thanks for the info. I will FW; this to the all parties concerned we should be able to make this happen. Time is short.

John DeMott

305-248-5109

Welll,

Its that time of the year again. Our 5th or 6th annual Palm fest will be held in the St. Augustine/Jacksonville area. We will be meeting on the Memorial Day weekend some where between Jax and St. Augustine, hopefully on the water, within a half hour from Jax airport. perhaps the Ponte Vedra area. Tentatively we will start with a reception, read Cocktail Party Friday night. Some palm venues on Sat. and palm auction followed by a banquet, perhaps a speaker. Sunday more palmy things to be worked out. What is Palmfest. Its one meeting a year where the 7 Florida Chapters of the Palm Society get together and party. this is open to all chapters we have had folks from Texas, Louisiana, ect. In fact the folks from the Southeast (non Florida group)are a lot closer than the members from South Florida Chapters. In a few weeks Faith and I will be going up to preview some hotels. I could use some help with the hotels from some of the local members. Some place to start some names of some hotels.

Thanks John B

John is this ok for a start. Let me know and I'll post on IPS board and Central board

John and faith Bishock

Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:22 AM

To: John; redland@zone10.com

Cc: Jim Menge; dc_palm@msn.com; merrill wilcox; Merrill Wilcox; michael cajone; ed brown

Subject: Fw: Hotels in st aug. PalmFest 2006

To: redland@zone10.comCc: ; stuartmc@comcast.net; mengej@bellsouth.net; (the guy ISubject: PalmFest 2006

John C, DeMott

Redland Nursery

18455 S.W. 264 Street

Homestead, Fl  33031

305-248-5109

Redland-nurserycom

John,

As requested, below is a list of hotels I thought would be fitting for the PalmFest.  The first two are located near the World Golf Village (http://www.wgv.com/) which is located along I-95 generally between St Augustine and Jacksonville.  The WGV includes some rather unique attractions such as the IMAX Theater, the World Golf Hall of Fame, the requisite swanky shops, and a few restaurants.  The other four are a little south, still along I-95 in St. Augustine but are situated adjacent to two outlet Malls which is somewhat less “appealing to the senses.”  I didn’t suggest anything in downtown St. Augustine due to the weekly festivals that results in nearly unbearable traffic and yet, if anyone so desires, it’s just a few minutes away.

1) Sheraton

100 Front 9 Dr, 8800 Vistana Centre Dr, Saint Augustine, FL

904-940-2000

2) Comfort Suites

475 Commerce Lake Dr, Saint Augustine, FL

904-940-9500

3) Hampton Inn

2525 County Road 208, Saint Augustine, FL

904-824-4422

4) Country Inn & Suites

2367 State Road 16, St Augustine, FL

904-819-1676

5) Ramada Inn

2535 State Road 16, St Augustine, FL

904-829-5643

6) Holiday Inn Express

2310 State Rd 16 & I-95, Saint Augustine, FL

904-823-8636

Gardens that the conference attendees might want to visit include the FCCJ  garden at the Jacksonville campus of Florida Community College, Jacksonville Zoo, Menge's, Encinoss's Garden and of course my garden is available.  Collectively these gardens demonstrate perhaps 60 species of palm and 25 species of cycad that can grow in these latitudes).  On Sunday, if you think the group would be interested in traveling an hour and a half, the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens (http://www.kanapaha.org/) in Gainesville would be worth visiting.  Maybe someone could talk Dr Merrill Wilcox   into giving us a tour.  As you’re probably aware, this garden has a few of Merrill’s mature hybrids and a number of other interesting specimens.

I’ve cc’ed a few guys that should be able to provide further coordination--- my extra club assistance will have to stop here.  These fellows would be your best primary contacts.  First, and probably the most important, is Jim Menge (904) 241-4985.  He has a long history with the club and has just retired as President. Certainly. the newly elected club president Dave Casella (904-568-4151, cell) could probaby help.   He’ll coordinate with club members and organize support as needed. Chuck Hubbuch (904-766-3128)is a curator at the Zoo and can probably coordinate any activities there. Stuart McLean (904-241-0345), the gentleman that you met at your nursery, has also committed his time.  Other long time club members include Mat Encinosa (287-5335) who has the best garden in the area , . Also other enthusiatic members include  George Baker (904) 355-1681.

Much obliged for the nursery tour,

Ed Brown

(904) 262-1767

JCD

South Florida

1 vote for Memorial Day.

3 votes for Memorial-Day weekend.. (even though it'll cost me a fortune in airfare)..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I researched the hotels venues etc as best I could ...  I couldnt get any support otherwise from the in charge of the club.. I discussed this briefly with Paul as this has been a chronic problem in the past.

If Chris is eager I would recommend he carry the ball.   The number of palms drops off substantially as you move North. I have only 65 species growing. Sarasota and places south 3 x as many.  There are sevaral good cycad venues as well .  

Best regards,

Ed

Edwin Brown III

Does anyone have any Idea as to the general vicinity yet?   SE, SW, Central, etc? ..  how can we get this in motion?

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS