IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pandanus monotheca (ornatus???)- Giant Screw-Pine

Eric in Orlando

Pandanus monotheca is a Screw-Pine native to coastal Thailand and western Melasia. It is one of the largest of all the Pandans, growing 30-50ft tall with 20ft long leaves.

This one was planted July 2006. Despite being native to tropical reions it has proven to be hardier than the common Pandanus utilis. It survived the 2009-10 winter with little damage.

The first photo is one I found on the internet. It is a good photo for scale with a person standing next to it.

pandmon1_zpsc76d9ce1.jpg

We have 3 planted out at Leu Gardens. Here is the biggest specimen, it looks like a giant spider.

img_0771_zps09a763a0.jpg

img_0770_zps343579d0.jpg

img_0775_zps68a9e00d.jpg

img_0776_zps91b0cc4e.jpg

img_0768_zpsc1c735d2.jpg

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

And, according to Kew, Pandanus monotheca is now a synonym for Pandanus ornatus. But if you check The Plant List, both species are listed as valid.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have seen this one at Leu - lovely!!! Certainly had no damage whatsoever.

I actually had one - in my plant house - but it rotted at the base - darn!

Hmm. Practically anything is hardier than a P. utilis. Well, overstating the case just a bit.

That is a cool Pandan. I have a Madagascan type that's hardly grown at all. Need to get a picture soon.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

For a pandan, P. utilis is moderately hardy. But they are like coconuts as they don't like prolonged cool/cold spells. I'm growing around 30 different species to test cool and cold hardiness. Some of the New Caledonian species have good potential. But P. furcatus still is the hardiness champion so far.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I purchased a P. monotheca in the mail from a grower in Florida who ripped me off on the next purchase I attempted.

You may find this interesting. The pandanus was send parcel post to Hawaii from Florida. Although I paid for first class air the plant was in the system for 5 weeds. It arrived wrapped in tin foil and dried out moss. It was brown and very dead looking except for a small green area close to the inside of the plant. I soaked it, babied it and it came back to life in a one gallon pot.

Now in the ground for almost 2 years, it is the fastest plant I have ever grown. Huge already, over 10' tall in the center. The center of the plant is a very dark purple, almost black winding around beautifully. I planted it where it bakes in full sun and I soak it 3 times a week.

Because of the difficulty getting rare and unusual pandanus, I only have about 10 choice species in my garden. I know few besides myself who collect this fantastic family.

Pandanus monotheca is now my favorite, almost my most favorite in my garden.

I noted in my on line research that you can purchase 'sprouts' of this and several other pandanus from a place in Thailand. I think my pandanus monotheca from Florida originated from this place which is the only source I can find. They also sell other pandanus 'sprouts'. I'm very tempted to try a small order from them. I don't know what I'll do with many plants as I don't know many here on the Big Island who might be interested to grow the giant p. monotheca.

Eric in Orlando: Wow 30 different species! Do you have a source? How does the Hawaiian native pandanus grow for you in Florida?

I find few have a genuine interest in this magnificent family of unusual tropical plants. It is always good to share growing information and experience. The only problem I have in Kona is keeping my pandanus as well and everything else in my garden: WET! It has been so terribly hot and dry here this year.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Aloha, Don

• Like 1

Donald Sanders

Very attractive.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I had one of these growing in my previous garden.........it grew at an astonishing rate and the leaves were massive, the neighbours would grumble because the leaves hung over the fence.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I purchased a P. monotheca in the mail from a grower in Florida who ripped me off on the next purchase I attempted.

You may find this interesting. The pandanus was send parcel post to Hawaii from Florida. Although I paid for first class air the plant was in the system for 5 weeds. It arrived wrapped in tin foil and dried out moss. It was brown and very dead looking except for a small green area close to the inside of the plant. I soaked it, babied it and it came back to life in a one gallon pot.

Now in the ground for almost 2 years, it is the fastest plant I have ever grown. Huge already, over 10' tall in the center. The center of the plant is a very dark purple, almost black winding around beautifully. I planted it where it bakes in full sun and I soak it 3 times a week.

Because of the difficulty getting rare and unusual pandanus, I only have about 10 choice species in my garden. I know few besides myself who collect this fantastic family.

Pandanus monotheca is now my favorite, almost my most favorite in my garden.

I noted in my on line research that you can purchase 'sprouts' of this and several other pandanus from a place in Thailand. I think my pandanus monotheca from Florida originated from this place which is the only source I can find. They also sell other pandanus 'sprouts'. I'm very tempted to try a small order from them. I don't know what I'll do with many plants as I don't know many here on the Big Island who might be interested to grow the giant p. monotheca.

Eric in Orlando: Wow 30 different species! Do you have a source? How does the Hawaiian native pandanus grow for you in Florida?

I find few have a genuine interest in this magnificent family of unusual tropical plants. It is always good to share growing information and experience. The only problem I have in Kona is keeping my pandanus as well and everything else in my garden: WET! It has been so terribly hot and dry here this year.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Aloha, Don

I have P. tectorius growing here. It seems to be a cold hardier one. What other pandans are Hawaiian natives ?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

If you actually want to see a real big Pandanus then look back to this thread where I posted photos of pandanus that were really tall, Pandanus brosimos.

www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/22484-pandanus-monotheca/

That is an AWESOME pandan !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I figured this is a good topic to post photos of my pandanus. I was given it a couple years ago and was told it was a species found in HI, but my source wasn't sure of its exact Latin name. He did say it was fairly rare - at least in Cape Coral - and not the usual screw pine planted here. Can anyone tell me which one it is?

It has grown very fast and started putting out offsets. My husband decided to cut those off to keep it under control and show off its main stem.

post-1349-0-38590200-1392511787_thumb.jp post-1349-0-46360300-1392511965_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-03081600-1392511882_thumb.jp post-1349-0-39775000-1392511924_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-69146400-1392511901_thumb.jp post-1349-0-42471000-1392511947_thumb.jp

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg the structure of that one looks very much like our native Pandanus tectorius........but the leaves on yours seem to be shinier.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Meg the structure of that one looks very much like our native Pandanus tectorius........but the leaves on yours seem to be shinier.

Thanks, Andrew. I tried to do internet research on Hawaiian pandans and that name kept coming up. But I still wasn't sure if mine was one.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg, it should grow well for you. After the 2009-10 winter P. tectorius performed better than the common P. utilis. 3 of our 4 P. utilis died but our P. tectorius only had minor burn.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I just sent Don a heads-up private message about importing plants from Thailand.

I found out last year it can cause a lot of trouble as I found out last year when a Thai seed trader sent me whole plants with dirt on their roots even though I ordered germinated seeds. Australian customs and our department of Agriculture wasn't happy about it and neither was I.

Other than that - I love pandanus, and monotheca is one of my favourites even though it's reponsible for a bit of blood loss.

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

• 3 weeks later...

monotheca flies through winter with temps near zero celcius. It is the biggest of my 35 Pandanus species. It loves water and full sun. Leaves can become noisey in wind so dont plant near your bedroom.

I figured this is a good topic to post photos of my pandanus. I was given it a couple years ago and was told it was a species found in HI, but my source wasn't sure of its exact Latin name. He did say it was fairly rare - at least in Cape Coral - and not the usual screw pine planted here. Can anyone tell me which one it is?

Tectorius is the only Hawaiian one. It was initially thought to be a "canoe plant", brought in by Polynesians. But later fossils were found that predate the arrival of Polynesians. It's probably the most (naturally) widespread Pandanus.

Thank you for your correct information. Many of the older text books still list pandanus as a 'canoe plant' here. In Hawaii, some species of two genera are more or less common in a wild, natural state or cultivated. P. odoratissimus occurs in Hawaii, from sea level to nearly 2,200 ft. It may occur on the Big Island in huge groves in valleys and on hillsides or it may be scattered singly or in clumps. It was often cultivated in ancient Hawaiian gardens because of it's medicinal value and picturesque appearance. The other genera native here is Freycinetia arborea, a beautiful vine like climber.

Twenty five years ago when I lived in S. Cal, I grew p. odoratissimus. It did not like the cold, it stopped growing completely, but it was the extreme dry condition that made it suffer the most, often turning very yellow. But it survived several winters for me.

Pandanus monotheca is extremely beautiful, the deep purple almost black center emphasizes it's hug leaves. It is huge and I grow it here in the full blazing Hawaiian sun. I also give it plenty of water. It is also one of the fastest plants I have ever grown, from a near dead plant, less than a one gallon, to a 10' magnificent specimen in less than 2 years.

It is wonderful that it can be grown outside of the tropics. A must for the Mediterranean tropical garden.

The pandanus in Meg's garden looks like the Hawaiian native to me.

Any one out there ever try Freycinetia species plants? They are wonderful climbers, don't mind cool temps. and there are at least 60 different species.

It is great to communicate with others about pandanus.

Thanks every one. Aloha, Don

Donald Sanders

• 4 years later...

Found this thread and figured I would post a picture or two. These were planted in 2012 as 7 gallons, I grew them from seed around 2009. Emma is 5'2" for reference.

785133173_Pandanusmonotheca.jpg.656cc3705bbd1da82a7d69de6cbee8a1.jpg785133173_Pandanusmonotheca.jpg.656cc3705bbd1da82a7d69de6cbee8a1.jpg419357792_Pandanusmonotheca1.jpg.9086729e9b2fc2728f8c3bcc2c46fdc6.jpg

• Like 1

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

They look great! The ones here have gotten to about the same size. It will be fun watching them get even larger.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I see on Kew that Pandanus monotheca is now known as P. ornatus.

https://wcsp.science.kew.org/namedetail.do?name_id=286374

Pandanus monotheca Martelli, Bull. Soc. Bot. Ital. 1904: 303 (1904).

This name is a synonym.

Accepted Name: Pandanus ornatus Kurz, J. Asiat. Soc. Bengal, Pt. 2, Nat. Hist. 38: 147 (1869).
Family: Pandanaceae
Original Compiler: R.Govaerts
  • Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a