Sandy Loam

Where can you buy the white crownshaft form of Dypsis Decipiens?

Sandy Loam

I own the traditional green crownshaft form of dypsis decipiens, but it grows so slowly that I will be 100 years old before it ever gets big. I have read that the white crownshaft form of Dypsis Decipiens is much faster growing, but displays less cold-hardiness than the green crownshaft form.

Can anyone out there verify (or debunk) the truth of these claims? If so, do you know where I can buy the white crownshaft form? I am not interested in buying seeds.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can comment on this thread.

Sandy Loam

Searching around the web just now led me to Jungle Music (an IPS member) that is selling this tree, but is calling it "Dypsis Decipiens Super Silver" and "Dypsis Decipiens Red." Unfortunately, that web site seems to suggest that the silver crownshaft form is also very slow-growing. How disappointing. I thought I had read that the silver crownshaft form was MUCH faster growing than the green crownshaft form.

Alicehunter2000

Didn't know there was a green shafted form?

Brahea Axel

I am not sure I have this right, so please anyone feel free to correct. It appears that all dypsis decipiens have white powder on their crown shafts with less or more white powder, that's what makes them look whiter, greener AND red/maroon. But there are two types, one with red/maroon under the white powder (that eventually fades to more green), and one with very little red, i.e. green from the get go under the white powder. The red form I believe is associated with the red spears when juvenile, and people have been referring to those as "super decipiens", super meaning they're faster, and I have noticed that as well. Perhaps they're less hardy, I don't know about that.

bf64bc.jpg

Here's a green crownshafted version in habitat with less white powder:

560px-Dyp_decip_ov2.jpg

JEFF IN MODESTO

Mine is covered with white " dypsis dust "

And now that it is trunking, it is one of the fastest growers in my garden.

Im guessing here, but I think that the thickness of dyppy dust is related to the health of the palm and the speed to which it is growing.

The dust has a waxy feel to it which leads me to believe it serves as a sort of friction reducer between petiole base ( crown shaft) as the palm grows.

As the palm grows, you can clearly see crown shaft rotates the fronds counter clockwise.

Rubbing up against the crown shaft and the dust comes off fairly easy. Its green underneath.

Mine is pretty hardy. having seen temps in the low twenties with only very minor damage.

Jeff

Alicehunter2000

I learn something new every day. :greenthumb:

Brahea Axel

I had one with a bright red crownshaft, it struggled for a couple of years until if finally croaked last Summer from rot. The crownshaft was bright red when removing the old palm fronds, but would fade to green over time. It wasn't very big. I am sorry it died, it would have been interesting to see what form it would take.

20130218_113930.jpg

JEFF IN MODESTO

Mine was red like that when young.