IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Exploding Black Palm

Daryl

One of my Normanbya's has decided to throw out new roots by the dozen. So many that the base of the trunk is peeling away near the roots. Anybody had this happen to theirs before?

blacktrunkjul06.jpg

blacktrunkbasejul06.jpg

regards,

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Royals do this frequently, does not seem to be a problem.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

It looks happy Daryl. Normanbya's are one of my favourites. Has yours flowered yet?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

my normanbyi are all 25 cm tall more or less, so I can't say as I have roots exploding out the bottom; however, please be so kind as to show us a pic of that crown, would you?

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Yeah, I've seen Royals do it, and Queens, but never Blacks. It is healthy enough, and has grown well.

Tyrone, this has only been in the ground 5 years from a seedling, so is still way too young to flower I guess, although it is getting quite large now.

regards,

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

OK, Mr Palmazon...

I didn't have a crown shot, so just went outside and took one..excuse the black of night...11:45pm here. The flash certainly highlights the white leaf undersides though! Photo was taken from 9ft above where the palm is growing, so I'd estimate 18ft overall height.

blackcrown.jpg

regards,

Daryl.

They grow a lot faster for you Daryl, than for me here. Mine are about 7ft tall, but I have no idea how old they are. It puts out 3 or 4 fronds a year, but it's happy. There almost nonexistent here in Perth. Do you recommend much sun for them. Mine are in basically full to part shade, and the wettest part of the garden. In summer they get heavily watered and live in sludge. If they take more sun, they'll probably grow faster me thinks. :)

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Tyrone, I don't know about your climate (particularly lack of humidity), but here they will take full sun from about the 3rd leaf. They definitely prefer 3/4 - full sun and grow much better. This one was planted in full sun originally. They grow at a good rate here, but down in Sydney they are S.L.O.W. I planted three more almost 3 years ago, and they are the same height as the Hyophorbe indica that I planted on the same day.

Daryl.

I'll give some a go in more sun then. I've got quite a few seedlings to experiment with.

regards

Tyrone

I have two, one which is in full shade all year round and the other in mostly fullsun. They were planted at about the same age and time. The one in full sun is by far the largest and most robust with a good 10ft of solid trunk. The shaded one has about 3ft of trunk. Apart from differences in sunlight the larger one is close to the heated pond, run off from the pond during rain, less competition for nutrients and situated in the warmest part of the garden. No wonder it is much larger! It has flowered for the first time this year. They are about 10 years old. Not particularly a fast grower but then not many of my tropical species are. With regards to flowering and producing viable seed I can only hope that this one will do just that as some others ( Pritchardia affinis, Areca catechu/vestaria, and Pinanga caesia) have been unsuccessfull so far. I have got seed from the Aiphanes aculeata and await to see if germination takes place. Here is a picture of roots pushing out from trunk.

Mike

post-250-1153277348_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Hi Mike,

Your Aiphanes trunk looks impressive. Pinanga caesia. Hmmm, might give that one a try. How is your A catechu going? My covered one is actually pushing a spear at the moment and has been reaching 38C on a sunny day.

P affinis and viable seed. It should set viable seed as they do here in Perth, so I doubt it's a temperature thing. It would be interesting if your Pinanga and A catechu, and A vestiara ever set viable seed. How are your A vestiara's going. Is the one in the open wet area going OK. I planted one in a protected spot and it's alive and not burning, but whether it fires up in Spring is the big question.

best regards

Tyrone

A lot of palms do that.  

Washies, Archontophoenix, Phoenix, many more.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Tyrone @ Jul. 19 2006,08:41)

Your Aiphanes trunk looks impressive.

Hi Tyrone,

The trunk picture is actually a Normanbya.  The A catechu is still pushing out new fronds as is the large vestiaria. The new one which you refer to is the red form which is more cold tolerant than the orange ones and seems to be doing just fine. I actually purchased two more from the local nursery(red form), quite a surprise that they even had them! This winter has been wet and cold, not the usual dry and cold so I expect more black spotting than usual but unlikely any death. Had the lipstick exposed for acouple of days while we had warm weather, gave me a chance to water them(mainly wetting the leafs only) and do some close inspection on any effects from the more than a few close to 0C overnight temperatures last month. And glad to report only a little black spotting, its even opening up a new leaf!

Mike

post-250-1153366612_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

(The Palm Nut @ Jul. 19 2006,23:36)

(Tyrone @ Jul. 19 2006,08:41)

Your Aiphanes trunk looks impressive.

Hi Tyrone,

The trunk picture is actually a Normanbya.  The A catechu is still pushing out new fronds as is the large vestiaria. The new one which you refer to is the red form which is more cold tolerant than the orange ones and seems to be doing just fine. I actually purchased two more from the local nursery(red form), quite a surprise that they even had them! This winter has been wet and cold, not the usual dry and cold so I expect more black spotting than usual but unlikely any death. Had the lipstick exposed for acouple of days while we had warm weather, gave me a chance to water them(mainly wetting the leafs only) and do some close inspection on any effects from the more than a few close to 0C overnight temperatures last month. And glad to report only a little black spotting, its even opening up a new leaf!

Mike

Well I'll be. That's your Normanbya. That is impressive. My Normanbyas look more Drymophleus like in the trunk. To me, yours is growing like a Wodyetia! I'm definitely going to plant a few of them in more sun this year, then I'm going to manure them and water the crap out of them, and in ten years, a King Kong Normanbya.

I think we've both had some really scary cold rubbish this winter. Record cold, but the garden hasn't dropped below 1.5C in the coldest part. Surprisingly no leaf spotting on anything either, because we've been ridiculously dry and the temps have been bouncing up to 20C like clockwork virtually every day.

I'm going to have to get me a few red form vestiara's this summer, especially if they're more hardy. I'm quite surprised how well my Arecas are going actually.

It's good to hear your stuff is going well, especially your Lipstick. I'm not game to let mine out of the heated germination room. He doesn't see less than 23C all winter.

best regards

Tyrone