IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

February 2014 stock talk

redant

Gold been marching along lately. I'm not at all a gold bug but bought some on Monday, yesterday and on the open today using DGP

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Isn't it about time for Rob to check in to alert us that he bought back in around the low and hasn't really been missing the latest run? I believe the NASDAQ is already higher than when Rob sold.

I missed the bottom for a trade. Had some orders in, and they almost got there.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Gold been marching along lately. I'm not at all a gold bug but bought some on Monday, yesterday and on the open today using DGP

I picked up some DDD a little after it bottomed out. You mentioned you were thinking about it, hopefully you picked some up Ended up bouncing nicely. Will probably ditch it before its ER.

PLUG has been going off as well. In at around $3.5, didn't have the stomach to pick up some more when it was at $2, now it looks as though its ready to run.

Also, picked up some FSPM a little after it seemed to find its bottom a couple days ago. I know a guy who knows a guy who thinks their earning report should be really good .... he goes by the name of Cheech.

Got out of HEMP and CBIS with a decent profit because of a very damning blog that called them out by name as frauds.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/cody/2014/02/13/you-have-to-be-a-dope-to-buy-marijuana-stock/?mod=MW_story_investinginsight

True or not, this type of press is never good.

Finally, to offset all of the fun, I have some OSGIQ and PRAN :sick: I'd like to toss into the dumpster.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I don't like 90% of the pot stocks because it's hard to tell if they really do anything at all, like CANV used to be foreclosure solutions INC, now we are pot experts. Thanks for that link

I have a nice % loss on PRAN now, glad I traded it like a gamble not an investment. Monday there was some unhelpful news...

"03:14 PM EST, 02/10/2014 (MT Newswires) -- Prana Biotechnology(PRAN) is down sharply late Monday, although off its session low, as Summer Street biotech analyst Bart Classen reportedly says he's not impressed with data on the firm's PBT2 for Alzheimer's disease.

StreetInsider reports Classen's reaction to a recent conference call with the company. Classen says he is not enthusiastic about the drug's proposed mechanism, allowing zinc and copper ions into the cell, because there is only a limited amount of ions that can enter the cell before they would precipitate and cause toxic deposits. He suggests that data to date do not support PBT2 as a treatment for Alzheimer's.

The company is also developing the treatment for use in Huntington's disease.

PRAN earlier traded as low as $8.26. The stock hit an all-time high of $13.29 as recently as late January. It has since dropped 37% when measured to Monday's low.

Price: 8.91, Change: -1.01, Percent Change: -10.2"

I have done nothing on DDD having missed that huge drop, I like bargain hunting not buying after the rebound.

I bought a variety of things in the drop and added to some I had.

BX is looking very weak lately, seems like it's looking for a reason to drop.

Don't know whats driving gold, rumors China wants it to back up their currency then make it the lead currency as it has a gold backing stripping away the US as the safe haven.

TSLA continues to amaze me, dumped that way to soon.

Jupiter FL

Saw the Prana article as well.

Read some other stuff questioning why folks should believe the opinion of someone who is considered to be a bit of a hack in his field, and a little bit of push back from scientist who said that the guy was wrong. I would expect a rebuke to this article at some point.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

MONIF (Montise plc) will be announcing a financial report on Wed and may be worth watching. It is a European based internet payment service, similar to paypal.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hope you didn't bail on PRAN.

F been a nice steady gain since I jumped in, no complaints.

Jupiter FL

Isn't it about time for Rob to check in to alert us that he bought back in around the low and hasn't really been missing the latest run? I believe the NASDAQ is already higher than when Rob sold.

I missed the bottom for a trade. Had some orders in, and they almost got there.

I got back in the day before YELLEN talked - up approx 5% total - for 2014

figured that she would not rock the boat as much as folks were betting.......

Mr Dean-

for the record I now am highly BULLISH for the next 6 months

i believe the extreme weather in the US and Europe will be replaced by nice spring weather - which will lead to a buying frenzy as

folks who have been cooped up all winter go nuts traveling and buying things

that's MY call

whats yours ???????

(sometimes I wonder if you guys not only BUY pot stocks - but smoke them too)

NOT JUST GUESSING ON THE WEATHER - SEE LINK:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2

Edited by trioderob

I got back in the day before YELLEN talked - up approx 5% total - for 2014

<sarcasm on>

Not bad triode! That's almost half of what a randomly selected portfolio has returned in 2014!

<sarcasm off>

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Sorry to be snarky....but dang I just couldn't resist.

The more I see actively traded stocks, and how difficult it is to be "right", the more committed I am to the non thinking basic index type approach.

Larry 

LETS SEE THE DETAILS

SHOW ME THE "RANDOM " PORTFOLIO YOU OWN WHICH IS NOW UP 11% OR MORE - FOR THE FIRST 6 WEEKS OF THE YEAR 2014

I AM CALLING "BS" ON YOU

"I pity the fool"

-Mr T

Edited by trioderob

LETS SEE THE DETAILS

SHOW ME THE "RANDOM " PORTFOLIO YOU OWN WHICH IS NOW UP 11% OR MORE - FOR THE FIRST 6 WEEKS OF THE YEAR 2014

I AM CALLING "BS" ON YOU

"I pity the fool"

-Mr T

Its random stocks picked in the wallstreetsurvivor game (using the random stock generator). Join the game and all results will be visible to you.

Larry 

LETS SEE THE DETAILS

I AM CALLING "BS" ON YOU

"I pity the fool"

-Mr T

Its random stocks picked in the wallstreetsurvivor game (using the random stock generator). Join the game and all results will be visible to you.

:greenthumb:

Never happen larry, someone like to make their trading decisions after the fact.

Jupiter FL

Isn't it about time for Rob to check in to alert us that he bought back in around the low and hasn't really been missing the latest run?

I nailed it.

Kona, on The Big Island

bite me Redant

the index's (sp500 / rut2000....) are down for the year and I am up 5%

Even if this was remotely true, you would be DOWN significantly having had to pay taxes on the huge profit you took, do the math. Oh wait you have no idea about the taxes.

Jupiter FL

bite me Redant

the index's (sp500 / rut2000....) are down for the year and I am up 5%

Even if this was remotely true, you would be DOWN significantly having had to pay taxes on the huge profit you took, do the math. Oh wait you have no idea about the taxes.

Imagine giving the IRS 30-40% of your earnings every year. Sounds like insanity or for Rob normal investing strategy.

Ever heard of an IRA Rob?

Why are you telling us what you are up now and not your % last year? It is simple the S&P was up 32%. If you beat it after taxes great. If not you need to reevaluate. My two index funds returned 29% because I have about 1/3 in international stocks and had too pay 1/4% fees, but I paid no taxes. So what did you return? No Chance you beat the S&P. Zero chance.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Thought Rob was going to actually engage in a discussion for a second. :beat_deadhorse: I am hopping back off the crazy train now.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Tried to short ZDPY today in the game, no go. Doesn't seem to recognize the pink sheets :bummed:

That's a pot stock for you tank

Also found this today regarding more reasons to find an entry in AA

by Ciprian Florea, 19th February 2014

Rumor has it General Motors is looking to follow Ford’s example and build aluminum-bodied full-size truck. The news comes via Wall Street Journal, who claims GM locked in supply contracts with Alcoa Inc and Novelis Inc.

However, the aluminum Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra are at least four years away, as General Motors plans to make the switch when the next-generation trucks are introduced, which should happen in late 2018.

"Ford's introduction of the 2015 F-150 pickup truck was a game changer, and it's the first, not the last, conversion of this type," Novelis spokesperson Charles Belbin told the Wall Street Journal.

The newly-introduced 2015 Ford F-150 is 700 pounds lighter than the current-generation model thanks to its aluminum body. The pickup truck will go on sale in the fourth quarter of the year, meaning GM will be about four years behind its main rival.

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

Only pot stock I currently own is FSPM. Supposedly they will show a large profit when they report their earnings based on some sales info that is public and accessible (couple of articles have been written). Have done really well over the past 2 months on marijuana stocks, but you really have to monitor them as they roller coaster up and down. I think many of the imposters will start to fade as more and more attention and scrutiny gets paid on individual companies.

What's going on with PRAN. I thought we had hit escape velocity. I was really hoping to break even.

AA is intriguing, although I need to get some cash freed up from some of my clunkers.

DDD is moving upward and I picked it up shortly after you pointed out that it was cratering a couple weeks ago. I think it was in the mid $60s. Thanks for getting me thinking about this again :mrlooney: . MONIF had a good ER and hopefully it will continue up.

BIB is still been one of my best performers. Thing split a few weeks ago to $90, cratered during the little dip we had to $80 and now is back over $100.

Picked up some KOLD again. Spring has to kick in at some point, right......

Don't even want to talk about the stock picker game. The best thing I could have done was not start playing until about 2 weeks in, missing the dip.

Redant, you still holding TSLA?

Still holding my worst performer, OSGIQ, now that they seem to be mostly out of bankruptcy, I'm looking for blue skies.

Have some Bakkan oil field stocks that I think I mentioned before. They seem to be waking up, AMZG, EOX, TPLM.

BTW, have been really happy with Vanguard. Much easier to maintain my account with them than with Wells Fargo.to them

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Only pot stock I currently own is FSPM. Supposedly they will show a large profit when they report their earnings based on some sales info that is public and accessible (couple of articles have been written). Have done really well over the past 2 months on marijuana stocks, but you really have to monitor them as they roller coaster up and down. I think many of the imposters will start to fade as more and more attention and scrutiny gets paid on individual companies.

What's going on with PRAN. I thought we had hit escape velocity. I was really hoping to break even.

AA is intriguing, although I need to get some cash freed up from some of my clunkers.

DDD is moving upward and I picked it up shortly after you pointed out that it was cratering a couple weeks ago. I think it was in the mid $60s. Thanks for getting me thinking about this again :mrlooney: . MONIF had a good ER and hopefully it will continue up.

BIB is still been one of my best performers. Thing split a few weeks ago to $90, cratered during the little dip we had to $80 and now is back over $100.

Picked up some KOLD again. Spring has to kick in at some point, right......

Don't even want to talk about the stock picker game. The best thing I could have done was not start playing until about 2 weeks in, missing the dip.

Redant, you still holding TSLA?

Still holding my worst performer, OSGIQ, now that they seem to be mostly out of bankruptcy, I'm looking for blue skies.

Have some Bakkan oil field stocks that I think I mentioned before. They seem to be waking up, AMZG, EOX, TPLM.

BTW, have been really happy with Vanguard. Much easier to maintain my account with them than with Wells Fargo.to them

No dumb move on TSLA for me, I made something like 21% in about 6 weeks and took it as it was in my tax free trading account (ira) I was really starting to doubt that they could really become a mainstream player with so many other car companies coming out with other hybrids and plug in hybrids. Seems the nameplate is a huge status symbol IMO as I myself would have a hard time buying a car for $80,000 that had a limited range even though I could. The stock has been a monster ever since. Elon has a magic touch.

Jupiter FL

My Nat Gas short in the game has been killing me.

And wouldn't you know I held it for almost two years around $3.50-$4.50 as a long - and sold for a small loss about 6-9 months ago. If it spikes from here I think it will be a final short squeeze and I just may short it with real money with a close stop.

Kona, on The Big Island

My Nat Gas short in the game has been killing me.

And wouldn't you know I held it for almost two years around $3.50-$4.50 as a long - and sold for a small loss about 6-9 months ago. If it spikes from here I think it will be a final short squeeze and I just may short it with real money with a close stop.

KOLD and BOIL

Waiting patiently for Natural Gas to drop and KOLD to pop. See what I did there...

Been on the wrong curve of the yoyo for these Natural Gas ETFs this winter. I'm just gonna sit on KOLD and wait for warmer weather.

I have a fairly large short position on NG in the game as well. It is my main drag.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hope you didn't bail on PRAN.

F been a nice steady gain since I jumped in, no complaints.

Wish I had bailed completely on PRAN. I have very little exposure now, but its still hard watching it collapse. Probably going to ride what little I have left into the cellar. Didn't realize how many analysts where experts in Alzheimer's therapies.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

PRAN

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12400705/1/prana-bio-huntingtons-disease-drug-fails-key-efficacy-hurdles.html?puc=CNBC&cm_ven=CNBC

I gather you may be correct, Positive news from this company if it does come out is far down the road so that leaves plenty of time for this to sink.

Jupiter FL

Wouldn't be surpised by a big move up in GLD in the next day or two.

Now back to sleep everyone.

Jupiter FL

A few others in the junk index have hit (SILC, LSCC, ATHX, plus the usual PRAN) enough to balance out the losers (of which there are plenty).

post-200-0-97483800-1393443643_thumb.jpg

Larry 

A few others in the junk index have hit (SILC, LSCC, ATHX, plus the usual PRAN) enough to balance out the losers (of which there are plenty).

Interesting - looks like without PRAN you would be a mere mortal like the rest of us. :)

Kona, on The Big Island

Interesting - looks like without PRAN you would be a mere mortal like the rest of us. :)

Recall this is all pure random picks....I didn't even pick them. I used the games random stock generator. So I certainly can't claim any prowess. It's just chance.

There is further random activity at play as not all stocks were purchased evenly. I intended to go 10% x 10 but the game didn't allow it. So some stocks that are winners have small positions, some that are winners have larger positions, and vice versa.

Larry 

Recall this is all pure random picks....I didn't even pick them. I used the games random stock generator. So I certainly can't claim any prowess. It's just chance.

There is further random activity at play as not all stocks were purchased evenly. I intended to go 10% x 10 but the game didn't allow it. So some stocks that are winners have small positions, some that are winners have larger positions, and vice versa.

Well, I guess that says a lot all by itself, doesn't it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

One thing that I am not clear on and keep meaning to check. But would be easier to ask you guys first.

Are the percentages of gains and losses "absolute" or are they compared to the S&P??? I think they might be a comparison.

Kona, on The Big Island

I hate how the game restricts the size of a position I can take. It's like $3,000 now for me, like whats even the point of putting on a trade! I think they are keeping you at a % of the $'s you have available.

Larry's random portfolio has an extremely high volatility, but it's working.

Jupiter FL

Fspm and plug are finally moving

Still moving upward. Nice to have some real movers on a flat day.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

PLUG is exploding (all of the fuel cell stocks are moving up: FCEL, BLDP). PLUG ER next week should be interesting. Always a dilemma whether to bail or hold on for more fireworks.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I dumped PRAN last week at 11.20 so it's a sure bet to got to 100 now.

Just came back from skiing, had to experience the legal pot store while I was there. Rather interesting, the aroma when you walk in is intense. It all looks very underground still even if it is legal. You can pretty much just Goggle it and find a dispensary. From what I have heard from the news and an expert I was with they cost about twice as much as the underground trade, yet the place had no shortage of clients. If there really is a legitimate stock that deals in this it should do well.

Jupiter FL

Just came back from skiing, had to experience the legal pot store while I was there. Rather interesting, the aroma when you walk in is intense. It all looks very underground still even if it is legal. You can pretty much just Goggle it and find a dispensary. From what I have heard from the news and an expert I was with they cost about twice as much as the underground trade, yet the place had no shortage of clients. If there really is a legitimate stock that deals in this it should do well.

Word from the underground is that FSPM and CANN are the real deal, but you didn't hear it from me.....

Dumped DDD for now.

Have a little bit of PRAN left, hoping it pops and I get some of my money back.

PLUG taking a bit of a beating today, but it is to be expected.

BX has been doing well.

Dipped my toe into FCEL.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Right before it goes back to 4!

SILC and LSCC have been running very close to PRAN in return so far in the game. But, as (bad) luck would have it, I bought only ~5% stakes in each of those at the start of the game (because nothing larger was allowed.....not sure why).

Larry