IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What a strange sensation

Xerarch

I just went outside briefly in my short sleeves to grab something out of my vehicle. Upon walking out the door I thought "wow it's so warm out here, this feels nice". "Nice" is a very, very, relative term here, we've been below 0 F a lot here lately, with a couple mornings recently around -15 F (~ -26 C). So any guesses as to what the "warm" temp was tonight?...................27 F! (-2.8 C), oh what a difference a change in perspective can make.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I just went outside briefly in my short sleeves to grab something out of my vehicle. Upon walking out the door I thought "wow it's so warm out here, this feels nice". "Nice" is a very, very, relative term here, we've been below 0 F a lot here lately, with a couple mornings recently around -15 F (~ -26 C). So any guesses as to what the "warm" temp was tonight?...................27 F! (-2.8 C), oh what a difference a change in perspective can make.

I felt the same way today! I was outside and had to take off my jacket because it was too "hot" and I was more comfortable in a t-shirt...it was in the 30s!

I have been reading about the "polar vortex" which has plagued eastern North America for almost all of January. Experts predict that winters will be getting colder in the northern hemisphere (except for certain regions such as the Mediterranean) due to the loosening of the polar vortex. According to what I have been reading, the polar vortex was historically a tightly spinning phenomenon which did not dip below higher latitudes with any significant effect. However, the melting of polar ice has changed atmospheric temperatures in the arctic and, as a result, the polar vortex is now starting to drop cold air lower and lower than in the past. The barrier function which the jet stream used to serve between cold air and warmer air is beginning to fade.

According to the theory, overall global temperatures are rising, but the polar vortex is slipping out of its historic northerly confines.

This, of course, is an over-simplification of what I have been reading, and I do not contend that this an accurate representation of the science by any means. Nonetheless, it is a theory that I have seen emerge in journalism several times over the past two years.

What a terrible thought that this could become the permanent state of our winters!

I have been reading about the "polar vortex" which has plagued eastern North America for almost all of January. Experts predict that winters will be getting colder in the northern hemisphere (except for certain regions such as the Mediterranean) due to the loosening of the polar vortex. According to what I have been reading, the polar vortex was historically a tightly spinning phenomenon which did not dip below higher latitudes with any significant effect. However, the melting of polar ice has changed atmospheric temperatures in the arctic and, as a result, the polar vortex is now starting to drop cold air lower and lower than in the past. The barrier function which the jet stream used to serve between cold air and warmer air is beginning to fade.

According to the theory, overall global temperatures are rising, but the polar vortex is slipping out of its historic northerly confines.

This, of course, is an over-simplification of what I have been reading, and I do not contend that this an accurate representation of the science by any means. Nonetheless, it is a theory that I have seen emerge in journalism several times over the past two years.

What a terrible thought that this could become the permanent state of our winters!

Just remember you are reading theories, not facts. I am not saying they are wrong, or right for that matter, but a theory is what it is.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Many memories of thinking how warm 35f was while shoveling snow back when I lived in Kansas, after enduring a week or two of temps in the low 20s. If it was sunny and 45, it was t-shirt weather.. weather like this always signaled the need to start closely monitoring the forecasts for the first strong T-storms of spring.

-Nathan-

Today's forecast high is 54 degrees, I'm about ready to bust out some shorts.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Today's forecast high is 54 degrees, I'm about ready to bust out some shorts.

We've got the opposite problem here, 55F feels pretty cold after getting pampered by 80's for a month and a half.