IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

why do people hate palm trees?

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

It really depends on the particular Home Depot, as there's at least one exception to your blanket statement Axel. Check out the HD in San Rafael, the nursery manager there is brilliant, and has the highest volume nursery sales of any HD within California, and also has the autonomy to order what he knows he can sell. I regularly make the drive across the bridge if I don't have time to go further to a wholesale grower, and always know I can find great selection and/or unusual species. Most recently I picked up some nice Brahea armatas, and they also had B. edulis and Butia capitata. Another designer friend got some Bismarckia nobilis there a few weeks ago, which I still think is marginal up here, but not all HD's are equal. I wish we had a Charlie Rossi on my side of the bay!

We had a HD like that here in Mesa, Arizona, but when we went there a couple of weeks ago, we noticed very few unique plants and that it was looking more and more like a regular HD garden center. The last time we visited with the guy who did the ordering there last fall, he mentioned that they were pressuring him to standardize. We also didn't see him there, which was unusual for a Saturday.

I suspect they either got rid of him for not wanting to conform or he left because it wasn't fun for him to order the ordinary stuff...

Ken is still there... Management was asking him to tone it down a notch but a lot of the exotic stuff he used to bring in just hasn't been available for him to order anymore.Bottle palms and cocconuts come to mind...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Good to hear. There was very little back in that section of exotics he always had, but maybe it was the time of year. I'll keep checking back...

Answer: Because they are missing a vital chromosone and are stoooppppiiiddddd. :mrlooney:

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 7 years later...

because they dont fit and come off as tacky when ever they are planted most of the time in some rich person who wishes they lived in the tropics house for an example northern california when i think norcal i think of redwoods wich are not tropical there temprate also the palnts that grew before deforetsting where all pine trees oaks firs and sycamore ect no tropical plants at all here an example of natural northern  california none of this location gets snow that often because how the pay keeps northern california locked in spring and atumn with short summers and winters but still not rare by this is the same elevation as san fransico so the reason it looks like this isn't because of high elevation Creekside.jpg

On 1/29/2014 at 1:03 AM, Brahea Axel said:

It's just people who like "my way or the highway" mentality with everything. They are the picky eater spoiled children who turned into adults and now have a platform to vent. (The internet). I've met a few haters but it tends to be ladies who want vegetable gardens in everyone's front yards and who want native plants everywhere but plant crepe myrtles lol... I mean to each their own. They wanna hate on palm trees, hate as much as you want. But to advocate to get rid of them, now that is where people like me come in. I will counter protest that sht.. I don't care how much "irrational" they think I am. To me THEY are the ones that are irrational. So no win here, but you can't prohibit something just because you don't like it. Being an adult means you have to deal with what you don't like. That simple.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, InvasivePlamsSuck said:

because they dont fit and come off as tacky when ever they are planted most of the time in some rich person who wishes they lived in the tropics house for an example northern california when i think norcal i think of redwoods wich are not tropical there temprate also the palnts that grew before deforetsting where all pine trees oaks firs and sycamore ect no tropical plants at all here an example of natural northern  california none of this location gets snow that often because how the pay keeps northern california locked in spring and atumn with short summers and winters but still not rare by this is the same elevation as san fransico so the reason it looks like this isn't because of high elevation Creekside.jpg

sorry but that looks boring

Well, I hate oil palms because millions of acres of rainforest have been cleared to grow this monocultural crop. 

And even that is humans' fault, not to blame the plant itself.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 5:28 AM, InvasivePlamsSuck said:

What's a plam?????????????? Is it contagious?

• Like 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

9 hours ago, Ivanos1982 said:

It needs some nice Trachycarpus princeps planted out on the waters edge, just like in China where you get the same sort of forest but also palms.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, InvasivePlamsSuck said:

Besides being unintelligble to read...I actually kind of agree with what you're saying. I don't want natural environments like these overrun with palms, especially if there are endangered species in habitat there. I think palms should mainly be used for botanical gardens, civic use, and private property. 

But about not planting palms in gardens, why come to Palmtalk to make that argument?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Teegurr said:

Besides being unintelligble to read...I actually kind of agree with what you're saying. I don't want natural environments like these overrun with palms, especially if there are endangered species in habitat there. I think palms should mainly be used for botanical gardens, civic use, and private property. 

But about not planting palms in gardens, why come to Palmtalk to make that argument?

I was going to say the same thing. Use some punctuation marks.  I also agree with you that these places should be kept natural.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ivanos1982 said:

That guy is probably just a troll but I see nothing boring in that picture.  It's a beautiful North cal natural environment.  

• Like 3

Huh... there really is a type of troll for everything on the internet, I guess.

• Like 2

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

2 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

That guy is probably just a troll but I see nothing boring in that picture.  It's a beautiful North cal natural environment.  

In all honesty that picture isn’t boring. It’s a beautiful natural environment and I wouldn’t agree in actuality with planting up a pristine environment like that with any foreign plants.

But I believe our Invasiveplamssuck troll believes that all palms are tropical and that anyone growing them in a cooler environment is some kind of “try hard” when in fact the cooler environments like Northern California can grow palm species that are impossible in the tropics.

Anyone can grow what they like in my opinion. If you want to try and grow roses and Californian redwoods in the wet tropics, good luck to you.

• Like 1

People who hate palm trees need to find a hobby to occupy their minds and time.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

21 hours ago, Ivanos1982 said:

What's interesting is that the photo is of Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP near Crescent City, California. Last in a stretch of ancient, old-growth redwood forest along the northern areas of coastal California. For sure, the region has tons of general appeal regarding natural beauty. Yet, with regards to that photo in particular, I agree with your sentiment, it strikes me as surprisingly dull considering the general appeal the region holds.

I think it's just that particular shot vantage. Makes it look like one of those "typical" alpine/sub-alpine conifer forests commonly seen in mountainous areas out West. Other photos of the redwood forest region look more interesting because they include more of the shady understory plants like ferns, lending a somewhat "Jurassic" feel.

• Like 1

Interesting to see how much palm hate seems to reside within the tropics and subtropics.  Well, maybe it's because they are just overrepresented there to the virtual exclusion of

other tropical/subtropical species, evergreen, semi-evergreen, deciduous.

Or, maybe it's just because they are complicated and force people to think. 

This northerner has alway LOVED palms, and the idea of ugly palms is ultimately stupid.

http://thatslifesci.com/2019-11-25-Are-palm-trees-really-trees-dalcott/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oasis371 said:

... the idea of ugly palms is ultimately stupid.

Except adonidia and roebelinii. I could never see one again and I’d be okay with it, haha. While my hate for them stems from how much I love OTHER palms that could be much better fits in-place of the over-used used species I’d just mentioned, it does help me understand the mindset of people that don’t know the difference and think palms are palms and there is no delineation between species.

I blame poor placement, over-use, and poor species selection for anyone that hates them. Because no one is going to walk through Leu Gardens or Fairchild or other similar fantastic tropical gardens and say “this is all so hideous!!”

When people say “I hate palms” all I hear is “I hate tacky poorly-placed palms next to a mailbox and a garden gnome” or “neglected, stunted, under-fertilized queen palms in the middle of a perfectly circular red mulch bed surrounded by sunburned bromeliads front-and-center in a yard.” 

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

I agree with @InvasivePlamsSuck in that I'm not a fan of how people are so desperate to have a "tropical" look that they will hodge-podge overplant a bunch of marginal palms that really detracts from the natural flora and climate of a certain area (such as in North FL). There's a fine line though, because I'm into zone pushing and planting unusual things that have a different look, but if I would intersperse it with native species and regular trees so it wouldn't be so one sided. I'm not slamming palm aficionados who may fill their yard with many zone pushed palms, just that it's done tastefully.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

Whats next?  Complaining about nice weather?

Yes. When I visited San Diego in August many years ago I heard residents grouching about the same old, same old boring unchanging weather: All day sun, warm days, cool nights, on and on and on and.......

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Seriously who gives a crap about what someone else does with their yard? Unless it’s dropping leaves or branch’s into your property, live your life and I’ll live mine.

There are far worse things people can do with their yards than planting palms. 

Edited by James B
  • Like 1