IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

new, colorful or unusual tropical plants and palms at the TPIE trade shade

Eric in Orlando

Last week I attended the annual TPIE show in Ft. Lauderdale. The Tropical Plant Industry Exhibition is a huge trade event showcasing tropical plants, foliage and products. It is the largest tropical plant trade show in the U.S. and amongst the largest in the world.

Here are a few of the beauties;

Alcantarea 'Volcano Mist'

img_0638_zps43589715.jpg

img_0641_zpsf27b7160.jpg

Alocasia macrorrhizos 'Variegata'

img_0677_zps45c3fbdf.jpg

Areca vestiaria- a tropical palm with orange crownshafts

img_0659_zps338d28f3.jpg

Calathea 'Fusion White'- a brand new introduction

img_0650_zpsbc36b89a.jpg

img_0652_zpscb596172.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Clerodendrum smithianum- very pendulant growth habit and flower clusters

img_0576_zps1fa57bf1.jpg

Clusia rosea 'Variegata'- variegated forms of this used to be very rare and expensive but are now showing up in SoFL nurseries at reasonable prices

img_0646_zpsa898a87b.jpg

img_0648_zps85680cc8.jpg

Colocasia esculenta 'Black Coral'

img_0683_zpsaecface8.jpg

Cordyline fruticosa 'Red Pepper'- a smaller Ti Plant with narrow leaves and hot pink new growth

img_0681_zpsfae265da.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Cordyline fruticosa 'Singapore Twist'- a larger Ti Plant with a distichous growth habit, leaves are arranged in 2 rows on each side of the stem

img_0615_zps247db132.jpg

img_0617_zps783b051b.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda- Sealing Wax or Lipstick Palm

img_0619_zpsf5f47a47.jpg

Dischidia 'Cascade'

img_0642_zps31182aa0.jpg

Dracaena deremensis 'Whitney'

img_0656_zps6f33bd6f.jpg

img_0657_zpsde180a05.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Dypsis mananjarensis- Mealy Bug Palm, this Madagascar palm has unusual white markings on the petioles, it grows 30-40 ft tall on a fairly robust trunk

img_0675_zps28184796.jpg

img_0674_zps79a6dd4c.jpg

img_0676_zps03c51d4c.jpg

Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy'

img_0537_zpse29a4773.jpg

Ficus elastica 'Ruby'- Rubber Tree

img_0539_zpsfa2aa023.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ficus pseudopalma

img_0614_zps290ba6d1.jpg

Heliconia pendula 'Red Beard'

img_0620_zps391f003f.jpg

Monstera deliciosa 'Cheesecake'- Ceriman Vine

img_0680_zpsc1022da0.jpg

Pandanus pulcher- a rare and unusual Screw-Pine from Madagascar

img_0612_zps8c3e84f7.jpg

img_0611_zpsd589455c.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Polyscias fruticosa 'Snowflake'- Ming Aralia

img_0667_zpsa3e3764d.jpg

Spathiphyllum 'Platinum Dreams'

img_0625_zps1a107d9e.jpg

img_0626_zps94c38234.jpg

X Gasteraloe 'Flow'

img_0661_zpsed8edcf6.jpg

img_0663_zpsa2ab4392.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

wonderful photos,eric. thanks for posting! I love the distichious Ti.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Eric, I always look forward to your photos from plant shows. Thanks for posting them!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Any idea what the requirements for X Gasteraloe 'Flow' are?

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

I have Colocasia esculents Black Coral’. Fast grower, overwinter inside is real easy and recommended if you have cool springs like mine. Sends up a lot of pups. It loves growing in water.

DSC00218_zps083f264f.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Huzzah!

More!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Great pictures Eric,

Always like seeing what new or interesting stuff is being showcased in the shows each year. Have offsets from a specimen of the variegated Taro. Looks incredible when full grown. That Clusia is outstanding, and on my to acquire list.

-Nathan-

I like that Singapore twist and the Gasteraloe looks like it has an electric light in it. Wow.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Jerry,

I can't explain the "hows and whys" but I heard at the show that using DNA is one way of finding a way for plants to glow in the dark.

Eric, your right, there was an incredible array of plant material at the tradeshow. So much stuff out there, I just wish I could get my hands on some of this material. I bought a few of that new Calathea from the grower, although I was told by Bill at Silver Krome that this plant has been around for about 10 years now, he has some and came out of Thailand.

Ryan took tons of photos as well, maybe he will add some too.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have Colocasia esculents Black Coral’. Fast grower, overwinter inside is real easy and recommended if you have cool springs like mine. Sends up a lot of pups. It loves growing in water.

DSC00218_zps083f264f.jpg

Nice design there, man!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Eric--

I think that Clerodendrum smithianum has been in SoFla for awhile, but isn't widely available. I think Jesse Durko has it in the ground.

How does Monstera deliciosa 'Cheesecake' differ from 'Albo-variegata'? Look pretty close...

Good news about the variegated Clusia rosea.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I first saw the Clero about 5 years ago but only seen it at a few SoFL specialty nurseries. This year at the show I saw several booths with it so it seems to be getting into the trade.

We have both Monstera and they look about the same. Maybe someone else knows if there is any difference. They both grow slower than the green form.

I actually picked up a variegated Clusia at Black Olive last week to try here and grow cuttings from.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Jerry,

I can't explain the "hows and whys" but I heard at the show that using DNA is one way of finding a way for plants to glow in the dark.

Eric, your right, there was an incredible array of plant material at the tradeshow. So much stuff out there, I just wish I could get my hands on some of this material. I bought a few of that new Calathea from the grower, although I was told by Bill at Silver Krome that this plant has been around for about 10 years now, he has some and came out of Thailand.

Ryan took tons of photos as well, maybe he will add some too.

Did he say anything about the parentage of that Calathea? It sure looks like C. louisae or that it has it mixed in. That is one of the hardier Calathea, even grows into NoFl and returns from the roots each winter.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice design there, man!

Thanks, I’m already started redesigning the space behind the water feature, took out the large big leaf fuchsia and replanting with tree fern and big leaf perennial and some chamaedorea radicals clumps come spring. So far winter has been pretty good here except for the big cold spell back in early December when it hit 16F and three days below freezing. There was only a few palms that were damage but all will recover quickly.

Edited by Palm crazy

I’ll be looking for that cool looking X Gasteraloe Flow in the future. Thanks for sharing you pics of the trade show Eric.

Funny our trade show here is in August, LOL!

Edited by Palm crazy