MattyB

Phoenix reclinata free, you dig

MattyB

This Phoenix reclinata needs more water than my dry rocky hillside. It's about a 24" box size. It's yours if you want to dig it up.

Pm me

post-126-0-21994000-1390764761_thumb.jpg

The Silent Seed

I'll say!

I've had one - lovely tree - somebody snap it up!

Palmdude

Make sure you get lots of roots, in my experience they don't like to be moved very much

Brahea Axel

I killed every single reclimata I tried to move. They were slightly smaller than Mattys. These things categorically hate being moved.

MattyB

Hmmm, that's contrary to my experience. I've moved three and all three did fine.

Hammer

That's 'cause you're the Pied Piper of Palms Matty. Palms love you so much they'll do whatever you say. You're growing a bottle palm and a Satakentia in SoCal for love of all bloody hell.

Phoenikakias

That's 'cause you're the Pied Piper of Palms Matty. Palms love you so much they'll do whatever you say. You're growing a bottle palm and a Satakentia in SoCal for love of all bloody hell.

Yeah, he has green wieners on hands.

LJG

This is one of the easiest to move palms there is (in terms of transplant)! All Phoenix palms move easy. Matt in Temecula used a chain and lifted truck to rip one out of the ground at my house. It is growing great for him in his garden :)

DoomsDave

For what it's worth, I concur with Len and Matty, and add to be sure the reclinata gets plenty of water. Maybe even a bit on the soggy side. They HATE drying out. That's one great way to spot babies in a mixed phoenix phalanx. Reclinata wilt fast from lack of water. Maybe put a baffle around it to keep the wind off it.

Brahea Axel

For what it's worth, I concur with Len and Matty, and add to be sure the reclinata gets plenty of water. Maybe even a bit on the soggy side. They HATE drying out. That's one great way to spot babies in a mixed phoenix phalanx. Reclinata wilt fast from lack of water. Maybe put a baffle around it to keep the wind off it.

Well, I must have done something wrong then. I moved two of them, both croaked, spear pull. I could have been patient and waited for suckers to take over, but they were smaller than Matty's and I didn't see the point to look at a half shriveled reclinata, nor was I that motivated to hold on to them anyway. I have one left that I didn't move and it's doing great. It wasn't a pure reclinata, I collected seeds at the LA Arboretum some years ago and grew it from those seeds. I am sure it's got canariensis in it because the fronds are much, much longer than on a regular reclinata.

Phoenikakias

Well, I must have done something wrong then. I moved two of them, both croaked, spear pull. I could have been patient and waited for suckers to take over, but they were smaller than Matty's and I didn't see the point to look at a half shriveled reclinata, nor was I that motivated to hold on to them anyway. I have one left that I didn't move and it's doing great. It wasn't a pure reclinata, I collected seeds at the LA Arboretum some years ago and grew it from those seeds. I am sure it's got canariensis in it because the fronds are much, much longer than on a regular reclinata.

Still waiting for pics!

The Silent Seed

Here's a novel idea..... somebody take him up on his generous offer and tell us how it went. That's the idea, right ? Let's get this baby into a better place!

palm tree man

If I was back in Cali, I would have already dug it up, filled in the hole, and had my wife bake him a cake to say thank you. For a small amount of shovel work that is a steal.