IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FFRA... which followed a PRA

BS Man about Palms

Well, I had a grand time at the PSSC banquet this past Saturday. I wish more people had attended. :( And was sad Dave had car troubles.. BUT Thanx to all who organized a fun event!

ANYWAY. A few weeks ago I had read somewhere on YouTube that the FIRST Taco Bell was in Downey, CA... and the THIRD built McDonalds was in the same city. Well... since there was still a fair amount of daylight left.. AND Downey was closer to where I was than home, I opted to go on my first FFRA!!

FAST FOOD RELATED ACTIVITY! :D

I saw the location of the first Taco Bell.. (no longer a Taco Bell, but kinda cool to see it still open and working) Opened in 1962...

Google showed it like this..

post-27-0-53231900-1390365416_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

But when I arrived, it looked like this..

post-27-0-83065700-1390366389_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-93506500-1390366593_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

THanks for coming BS man!

Where were the rest of your compadres de Doom? We missed them!

Thanks for your major help with the auction. Including the trimming and weed pulling . . .

And, thanks for your help with the Palm Society Crown Vic of Doom that appeared to have lost its alternator. (Had it towed home.) Thanks for your offer of assistance! I'll have a chance to do something I haven't done in about 25 years - rebuild and install an alternator. So much 'stalgia I wanna SCREAM.

Ahem.

Yeah, a lot of those old Taco Bells have been repurposed, as Korean eateries, bank branches (I'm not joking) and podiatrist's offices. (I an incapable of making that up.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Dave. Still surprised it was an alternator... You were able to finally get the engine to turn over? Sure acted like a starter or solenoid. Especially since I was giving full 12volts to the starter and nothing happened... but as long as you get it running..

Anyway...

(Having a heck of a time editing, something has happened to my laptop that is being very annoying and I can't control much where the pics or text are going)

That being said.. (for the 3rd try) You'll notice on "Rauls" the top where the Bell went was recently removed. The large tree on the right has been there a looooooonnngg time! Its about 3 foot in diameter! The archways were smaller than the later ones, but you can see its look was already well established. At this place there was a 1 man mariachi band walking around too.. :D

Heres how I remember them... and the "new model" Taco Bell was just across the street a half a block away...

post-27-0-62436400-1390370902_thumb.png

So I debated what to eat as I had eaten at the banquet only about 2 hours prior. I debated trying to have something "Taco Bell" like, but ruled that out and had a pork torta and of course, a Dr Pepper. :D

Enjoyed the taste, the history and the like, but wanted to go to the McDonalds too. So I hopped in the car and plugged in the address in my GPS and headed off.

Driving along and BAM!

post-27-0-52781200-1390371314_thumb.jpg

I'm driving to the McDonalds and I come upon an "El Taco"! REAL Trivia here as this is the chain that Glenn Bell started JUST before he started TACO BELL!! :) (Yeah I know, useless info) Anyway, there still are a few in So Cal LA area, but I don't think this is an original building from then...

hahah Looks like it WAS a Jack in the Box!!

post-27-0-98322500-1390371818_thumb.jpg

Eureka! I spied it! (HARD to miss!!!)

This was the THIRD McDonalds built by the brothers in 1953 and the cause for Ray Kroc to fly out and see why they bought FIVE mixmasters from him (that would do 5 shakes at a time)

As they say, the rest is history, Ray bought the brothers out and started an Empire, apparently this was an independent McDonalds until about 1990

post-27-0-17950800-1390373243_thumb.jpg

There was a small museum on the property. The center display was apparently how the first one or two were built..

There was a small museum on the property. The center display was apparently how the first one or two were built..

(sorry, can't even access to delete the previous post... ? )

post-27-0-15326500-1390374202_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-44928900-1390374623_thumb.jpg

I ordered a chocolate shake and fries.. as a tribute to history.. and took in the ambiance as night fell early..

I actually considered driving up to the oldest In-N-Out 20 more miles north of my house, but I figured I may fall asleep in a food coma driving home... Next Time!!! ;)

post-27-0-77535900-1390375218_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

FFRA you say. Tell me Bill, are you being paid something for this thread ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

While this thread has some interesting historical architectural highlights, I can't say that FFRA is going to catch on...

I saw this on the chalkboard of a slow food establishment: "Whoever snuck the 's' into FAsT FOOD was a clever ba......d." :lol2:

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Bill,

Have to agree - FFRA is a 'no-go'! :laugh2: Maybe just FRA? In any case, interesting little detours you engaged in. Finding history in general to be fascinating, even if it's recent, seems to me that Taco Bell should buy out Raul's and restore that place to what it looked like 50 years ago. And Dave, sorry to hear about your car. We were wondering how that ended. In any case, and despite the poor attendance, the Banquet was great and the two presentations certainly interesting. And next time, maybe something a bit more daring than standard chicken...? :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hmm.

FFRA isn't necessarily all evil. Just eat one of Mickey D's Fish Sandwiches, not five, just one order of fries, not three and avoid the milkshake, unless you're 20. In 'n Out isn't bad, either, since they don't do the infamous Secret Sauce of Obesity.

Taco Bell is actually relatively good.

So, Bill, next time you're up in La Ha Hood, we should go to the infamous . . .

The Hat! (of Doom)

(Hmm. Maybe you joined Ken and Jeff and I back in 2008?)

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The story goes that Ray Croc couldn't pay his secretary in the beginning so he gave her stock in the company...when she retired and cashed out she built this place that is carried by the county at $28M which means it is worth ALOT more today!

post-1122-0-43758500-1390580118_thumb.jp

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Does anybody remember Jack in the Box's ill-fated "Taco Jack" chain? When I was a teenager in the late '70s I remember going to the one on the NE corner of Balboa & Convoy in San Diego, which may have been a renovation of their original '60s "big box" restaurant, and which probably originally stood in that spot. I just looked on Google street view and the Jack in the Box (with its '70s low-slung design) is still there, but the Taco Jack (again, probably the original Jack in the Box in that intersection) is now a parking lot. But It had that boxy two-story design, and makes me wonder if the one you show in Downey might indeed as you say be a repurposed Jack in the Box (and perhaps briefly also a Taco Jack). I just googled and don't see anything on the Taco Jack chain, but I know it existed. I don't know how many of them they opened, but obviously Taco Bell was just too much of a competitor.

• Upvote 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Remember Taco Tia? They were out in San Bernardino, and I visited there one evening right at the start of what would turn out to be an epic brawl in the parking lot. (No guns, though. Ah, the good old days.)

• 1 month later...

Just found this vintage pic of the Taco Bell when it was new.. at this site.

http://www.downeydailyphotos.com/2012/03/taco-bellnow-and-then.html#.Uw-HFPldVJI

I also know of folks that ate at the Taco Jack and its where the "illustrious" Jack in the Box tacos originated. I also remember that building for a long time in San Diego although I never ate there.

I've also consumed a Taco Tia meal or two also :)

post-27-0-15147700-1393527585_thumb.jpg

Just found this vintage pic of the Taco Bell when it was new.. at this site.

http://www.downeydailyphotos.com/2012/03/taco-bellnow-and-then.html#.Uw-HFPldVJI

I also know of folks that ate at the Taco Jack and its where the "illustrious" Jack in the Box tacos originated. I also remember that building for a long time in San Diego although I never ate there.

I've also consumed a Taco Tia meal or two also :)

attachicon.gifTaco-Bell-Photo.jpg

Ah, Taco tia!

"Want a brawl with that, sir?"

"Well, no. They have better brawls at the Waffle House."

• 2 years later...

Bump for Trivia and related to the movie "The founder"... Also, from what I understand, Taco Bell bought the #1 building... and moved it... not sure where, but not demolished...yet?

Ah yes, a little Fat Food . . .

Ever been to the oh-so-honestly-named Fat Burger?

• Upvote 1

Oh yes.. with an egg on top!! mmmmmmmmmmmm

• 1 year later...

Soooo, we'll call this FFRA installment #2! 

I had the great fortune to attend the Palm tour at Don Tollefsons a couple weeks back and was blown away! Great place!

Enjoyed it and then was supposed to head home for dinner. I stopped at Larry Blacks place in Fountain Valley before continuing south via Larrys instructions. I had also received a text saying no dinner at home.. Well, I glance over as I saw the freeway in sight and "what the what"? I saw a "NAUGLES" sign! They were gone! (More Trivia, Del Taco was started by a guy who worked for Taco Bell early on... and Naugles was started by a guy who worked at Del Taco early on..) Anyway, Del Taco bought out Naugles as they got larger and a few items made it to the Del Taco menu. "Macho" size and the "bun taco" as such. There was a recently a protracted fight to resurrect the name and this was the first branch reopened since that, in a non-descript industrial park. They now have a 2nd branch near Huntington beach I think. Anyway, I LOVED the cheese burrito..(kinda quesadilla meets burrito) and a bun taco. It's nice being so easily entertained..B)

41897082_954776191361143_7256721278113939456_n.jpg

43381093_1075467089300949_8918904867553017856_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh, yeah, remember the ads for Naugles? ("I remember the Alamo!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKABF67BLuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXtY4IGCaE

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2018, 2:58:50, BS Man about Palms said:

Soooo, we'll call this FFRA installment #2! 

I had the great fortune to attend the Palm tour at Don Tollefsons a couple weeks back and was blown away! Great place!

Enjoyed it and then was supposed to head home for dinner. I stopped at Larry Blacks place in Fountain Valley before continuing south via Larrys instructions. I had also received a text saying no dinner at home.. Well, I glance over as I saw the freeway in sight and "what the what"? I saw a "NAUGLES" sign! They were gone! (More Trivia, Del Taco was started by a guy who worked for Taco Bell early on... and Naugles was started by a guy who worked at Del Taco early on..) Anyway, Del Taco bought out Naugles as they got larger and a few items made it to the Del Taco menu. "Macho" size and the "bun taco" as such. There was a recently a protracted fight to resurrect the name and this was the first branch reopened since that, in a non-descript industrial park. They now have a 2nd branch near Huntington beach I think. Anyway, I LOVED the cheese burrito..(kinda quesadilla meets burrito) and a bun taco. It's nice being so easily entertained..B)

41897082_954776191361143_7256721278113939456_n.jpg

43381093_1075467089300949_8918904867553017856_n.jpg

Feeel those arteries harden!

Amen . . . .

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Never heard of this place.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugles

Naugles was an HB institution when I was young.  Now there are two, with one of them at the city beach.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 10/10/2018, 6:30:52, Palm Tree Jim said:

Thanks.....will need to give it a try.

Not fine dining for sure.. just decent fast food as such. Mostly buying memories.. :D