IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

slim trunk mule

Tropicdoc

In everyone's opinion, what is the source for butyagrus that has a slim trunk. I want the coconut look, of course, and a stout trunk detracts from that look. So, what butia mother, what hybridizer would be the best to go with?

I will be doing some Butia Odorata x syagrus Amara this year. I am hoping it gives the palm a more coconut look to it.

Grow it in the shade. It will thin the trunk out.

Doc has no shade. But the Mule I have for him spent its first few years in the shade growing and it is pretty stretched out.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

In everyone's opinion, what is the source for butyagrus that has a slim trunk. I want the coconut look, of course, and a stout trunk detracts from that look. So, what butia mother, what hybridizer would be the best to go with?

yatay x syagrus would be my choice... Butia Yatays are taller with somewhat thinner trunks... Patrick shafer hybridizes them. But variable genetics mean that you may have to find the right mix...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

use lytocarium as mother...

• Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

a stand of yatays

YATAY_Butia_yatay_FotoDarioNiz+(6).jpg

I have a mule hybridized from Yatay. Trunk is nice and stout. I I also has a tad more of a Parajub look than a standard mule.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks everyone! Erik, I think we already discussed the Amaras mules. I am salivating at that thought. Don't know what kind of cold hardiness they will have, but I bet they will be nice looking. Keith I am gonna come see your yatay mule this spring, and also survey the wreckage from the arctic vortex.

Thanks everyone! Erik, I think we already discussed the Amaras mules. I am salivating at that thought. Don't know what kind of cold hardiness they will have, but I bet they will be nice looking. Keith I am gonna come see your yatay mule this spring, and also survey the wreckage from the arctic vortex.

My garden is half the garden it used to be, literally. This spring will not be pretty. But it'll all be good again by fall, and hopefully a mild winter this time.

The S. amara mule should be very cool. It'd be even cooler if the Butia parent was a yatay.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I suspect that the form of the mule comes from the parent queen form. There are shuttle cock queens with larger trunks and shuttle cock crown, and there are thinner queens with a more broad, coconut like crown. You need to shop around with different hybridizers to find the right form. My all time favorite form of mule is the one sold by Tropics nursery in Gilroy, the trunk is still pretty straight up, but the crown is so open it makes them look super coconutty. This is what theirs look like:

20130223_150342_zpsdd3f928d.jpg

Not a great picture, but as you can see, no damage on the Mules. The 'yatay' Mule is the more upright on in the back.

post-1207-0-41219500-1389980905_thumb.jp

That picture that Axel posted is the all time best mule I've seen. Like I told him, if I knew they'd all mature like that I would have already planted 4 or 5 of them!

All Tropical Palms in Gilroy is where I got some of my Mules, so hopefully they will turn out like that...they are only 15g size now.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Not a great picture, but as you can see, no damage on the Mules. The 'yatay' Mule is the more upright on in the back.

Keith,

Where did you get the yatay mule? I was unaware than any hybridizers in florida were using yatays... I remember asking mark heath and Eric and both said they don't. I also hear that Moultrie farms doesn't use yatay for hybridization. I couldn't even find a butia yatay in florida, had to get mine at jungle music in California.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

That upright mulie in the back looks nice Keith.

I dont see em w/out the recurve....

First one...

-Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Keith,

Where did you get the yatay mule? I was unaware than any hybridizers in florida were using yatays... I remember asking mark heath and Eric and both said they don't. I also hear that Moultrie farms doesn't use yatay for hybridization. I couldn't even find a butia yatay in florida, had to get mine at jungle music in California.

It came from a collector in Houston. He moved to another part of the country and sold his collection. I got all of my Mules (prior to last month's purchase from Mike) and my Jubutia from him.

• 1 year later...

Keith,

It came from a collector in Houston. He moved to another part of the country and sold his collection. I got all of my Mules (prior to last month's purchase from Mike) and my Jubutia from him.

Don't Triode, show us some pictures!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

While we're waiting for Keith to post his photos (Keith?...), I can't resist sharing this photo of a mule palm that I saw in Tallahassee earlier this month.  I already posted it on a different thread, but it's so nice that I want to post it twice. As you can see, it is surrounded by two other smaller mule palms, but they haven't really started to show their mature characteristics yet.  The large mule palm in the middle has already taken on a personality of its own (click to enlarge).  

1102151220a.jpg

IMO If you want more coconut look, Dnt use Butia as mother anymore. However, using Syagrus as a mother, you might get better results, getting an approach to the aesthetics of a coconut tree. For example, i would use: Syagrus botryophora x Butia ( it can be fast), S. schizophyla x Butia, S. santosii x Butia  and Lytocariums x Butia, etc...... In other hands, if u want a hardy coconuty mule, you could  try "Bujubaea" in them.

Edited by Mantis sp.
mistake, error in scrip