IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis vs Areca/pinanga

comic097

Dypsis Vs Areca/Pinanga  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred or favourite genus

• Dypsis
    • Areca/Pinanga

You Legend Bill!!! I was hoping I could count on you too... You have done a great job!!!

I was hoping you would go Dypsis but wasn't 100% sure of it? I know you have many pinanga and Areca, some of them are probably decent palms too!! You made the right choice!!

Oh touché mr Austin, touché. Damnit, we sure could use that firepower in team areca/pinanga. Cmon hawaii. Gotta be some recruits hiding in the jungle

I voted Dypsis even though I love Areca and Pinanga. I can grow way more Dypsis than the other two and where I'm moving won't be able to grow any Areca or Pinanga. So Dypsis wins.

Wrong again Tyrone, you will very likely be able to grow a few Pinanga. Areca is more of a challenge though might have a chance with Areca triandra if you ship in a large one. Here's Pinanga javana grown to perfection in NZ...

attachicon.gifIMG_5230.JPG

RPS has Pinanga polymorpha at present....

Whaaaaaaaaa?????????

Pinanga javana in NZ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought one when I was in Carnarvon and thought that it was marginal in Perth. That's it, it's coming with me, and maybe my coronata and dicksonii as well. :)

You NZ guys never cease to amaze me. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tim,

Whats the story on that alleged adangensis? Did you get it from Jeff? Oh! And about how tall is that maculata? Thanks :)

Jon, I acquired the Pinanga from a grower who wasn't quite sure what it was. He was calling it 'Thai mottled.' It looked like adangensis to me.

The P. maculate has grown nicely and I'd say it's about 7-8' tall. I did see your collection in an earlier post and thought they looked great.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Another A.macrocalyx with P.caesia beside him, this pic is a few months old. don't really like using old pics, but couldn't resist this one :)

post-7381-0-18115600-1389945670_thumb.jp

I just bought one when I was in Carnarvon and thought that it was marginal in Perth. That's it, it's coming with me, and maybe my coronata and dicksonii as well. :)

We should've tried harder to get those pinanga seeds in Darwin, hey, Ty ;). You are getting closer to the tropics, than you think..... ha ha ha.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, We know you are busy, but glad to hear from you whenever you get a chance!

Thanks Cindy.... I do read every now and then... I just don't have much to share. My garden needs some attention before I am posting again :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

All good about the small palms Comic, Moose will probably bump the thread in a few years and you can update us on you Pinanga's.... That is if they are still alive and you haven't filled the empty spaces with Dypsis..... that could be a bit embarrassing for you???? Obviously I hope that is not the case!!

It seems that the mainland USA doesn't have any Dypsis, Pinanga or Areca that they wish to showcase here.... Pity because I thought Florida would have a few Pinanga / Areca and Socal might have some Dypsis????

Here is my lastest entry into the battle... Getting into some rare stuff with this one.... I have id'd this as Dypsis hovitrendrina ( I think it has been sold under the name "highland redneck" ?). This palm is the oldest by far that I have ever seen with my own eyes... I don't actually know of any that even come close?? This palm is growing in South East QLD and obviously loving it!!

post-6412-0-06209300-1389951377_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-16368600-1389951429_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-87768800-1389951458_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-18639200-1389951550_thumb.jp

And my very own Dypsis ambositrae type palm... I would love a positive id on this but it seems impossible at this stage?? Super fast, super green, super tough.....Love it!! Who needs canopy when you can grow these.... If you can find one???

post-6412-0-78414500-1389952328_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-10126800-1389952360_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-85425800-1389952424_thumb.jp

Hey Ben, here's a hovitrendrina at flecker. Does this put me in the dypsis club? Will post some more tomorrow....

DSCF1012.jpg

Hey Ben, here's a hovitrendrina at flecker. Does this put me in the dypsis club? Will post some more tomorrow....

DSCF1012.jpg

Appreciate the pic, thanks!! I am happy to bend the rules for you if you wish?? You are welcome to post pinanga or Areca pics tomorrow if they are really your first choice? I'm sure you have a few of all 3 genus up there?

Tim,

Whats the story on that alleged adangensis? Did you get it from Jeff? Oh! And about how tall is that maculata? Thanks :)

Jon, I acquired the Pinanga from a grower who wasn't quite sure what it was. He was calling it 'Thai mottled.' It looked like adangensis to me.

The P. maculate has grown nicely and I'd say it's about 7-8' tall. I did see your collection in an earlier post and thought they looked great.

Tim

Thanks Tim! I'm really enjoying my tiny collection. You and others on here really have some amazing gardens and I really love seeing mature photos of some of that stuff.

I dug up a few old pinanga photos from my collection:

Pinanga caesia and Pinanga sp. 'blue seed' showing tons of color and mottling even as seedlings:

post-748-0-16866500-1389971792_thumb.jpg

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Don't know about a Dypsis with a purple leaf but it probably exists... I will have a think about it???

Meanwhile here is some food for thought... yes some Dypsis might be slow to trunk ( some are super fast as well ), but who needs trunk when you have this..... Dypsis prestoniana young and "teenage".... note my foot in the last pic, size 10!

Hey Ben, great photos, here's a Dypsis with a purple leaf, Ed

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_sp._%27Maroantsetra%27

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Hard to tell....

In Doranakanda garden, Areca is at home, and Pinanga belong to the shady parts of the garden, under the canopy of Cocos, Areca, jackfruit, mangosteen and mango

But I 'll have to plant all Dypsis seedlings we have: pembana, pilulifera, carlsmithi, ambositrae, sainte-lucei.... in the evening garden which has no existing canopy for bringing shade.

post-6735-0-72341600-1390028657_thumb.jp

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

We should've tried harder to get those pinanga seeds in Darwin, hey, Ty ;). You are getting closer to the tropics, than you think..... ha ha ha.

Yeah, they were P javana too. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dypsis includes an enormous variety of palm species, including giants as well as dwarf palms. We have many of them in our garden. However, I voted for Pinanga/Areca because those two genera have an amazing array of colors.

Lee

P. maculate..........................................................Areca vestiaria alba

post-3412-0-28722700-1390177941_thumb.jppost-3412-0-36597300-1390177952_thumb.jp

Areca vestiaria maroon...........................Areca macrocalyx

post-3412-0-36243200-1390177961_thumb.jppost-3412-0-54557500-1390177974_thumb.jp

Areca vestiaria orange

post-3412-0-24099200-1390177993_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

A. vestiaria double orange...................Pinanga sp.

post-3412-0-17400000-1390178338_thumb.jppost-3412-0-31392700-1390178348_thumb.jp

P. caesia

post-3412-0-95245200-1390178365_thumb.jp

P.coronata...................................P. coronata

post-3412-0-37843500-1390178385_thumb.jppost-3412-0-95053400-1390178395_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Pinanga sp..................................Pinanga sp.

post-3412-0-07503700-1390178603_thumb.jppost-3412-0-72162100-1390178614_thumb.jp

This speciosa was given to use by Bill Austin in 2010. He had thrown a bunch of seeds into a large pot which then grew into eight trees. We planted it as an experiment and expected some of them to stay small or die. Here they are 4 years later all have survived and are of approximately the same size.

Pinanga speciosa..................................Pinanga sp.

post-3412-0-30260800-1390178629_thumb.jppost-3412-0-32572200-1390178646_thumb.jp

Areca vestiaria orange

post-3412-0-78123500-1390178655_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Lee

Thats what I'm talking about! Beautiful pics. I do have to say some of these dypsis are very impressive. Great contributions all

Exactly what NApalm said, fantastic Lee, thanks for posting and voting, and yes all the pics of the dypsis and Areca/pinanga on this thread have been absolutely brilliant, thanks everyone

Ooooo, Ahhhhh, Lee the one in the first photo is a killer. Your P. speciosa are looking great too, especially planted so close together.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks to both teams for posting such amazing photos!

I have a real strong bias for dypsis, for one because I love Madagascar, but also because they are obviously more adaptable to cooler Summer climates. But I've had success so far with one pinanga species, pinanga philipinensis, it's growing even in our Winter, and I will try javana once more now that I have a greenhouse where I can grow one to some size before planting out.

Lee,

Fantastic photos! To me, nothing beats the color and form of a P. caesia. Your first photo of Pinanga sp. looks like P. malaiana to me (at least I hope that's what it is, since I have a few!)

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Lee, I was wondering when you would make an appearance here, GREAT photo's, thanks for posting... I think?????

It looks like Dypsis is winning the vote but the Pinanga / Areca folk are much better at posting great pics.

• Upvote 1

the Pinanga / Areca folk are much better at posting great pics.

Thank you, you're absolutely right, Kennybenjamin, it means that obviously Areca-Pinanga should win.

I know by experience that vote doesn't always tell the truth :)

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Dypsis includes an enormous variety of palm species, including giants as well as dwarf palms. We have many of them in our garden. However, I voted for Pinanga/Areca because those two genera have an amazing array of colors.

Lee

P. maculate..........................................................Areca vestiaria alba

attachicon.gif13-09-14-P-maculata.jpgattachicon.gifAreca vestiaria alba.jpg

Areca vestiaria maroon...........................Areca macrocalyx

attachicon.gifAreca vestiaria-Maroon.jpgattachicon.gifAreca-macrocalyx-.jpg

Areca vestiaria orange

attachicon.gifAreca-vestiaria-crownshaft.jpg

Gday Lee, how old are your P. maculata,caesia and macrocalyx, look amazing

Paul :)

Thanks to both teams for posting such amazing photos!

I have a real strong bias for dypsis, for one because I love Madagascar, but also because they are obviously more adaptable to cooler Summer climates. But I've had success so far with one pinanga species, pinanga philipinensis, it's growing even in our Winter, and I will try javana once more now that I have a greenhouse where I can grow one to some size before planting out.

Gday Axel, mate would love to see a pic of your P.philipinesis,if you dont mind , its one of my favourite Pinangas going round.

I agree Philippe, anyone can vote, a lot more Areca/pinangas posted then dypsis.

Unfortunately I also agree with this, Dypsis currently have 21 votes and only 6 of those people have posted pics.

We were hoping for a thread with heaps of great pics here and in that respect Pinanga and Areca thus far are winning.....