IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CURRENT COOLDOWN

gsytch

It didn't freeze here last night :greenthumb: .......34 was our low

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wonder how the Houston/Galveston area is fairing right now.Guess it would be still considered zone 10a weather with it 32 degrees and snow showers. :sick:

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

Looks like it maybe sleeted near Galveston. I doubt anything stuck though. I bet the Royals there make it fine. I dodged the sleet this am. It stopped about 100 miles north and west of me. 34 was also our low. Next week, a night of 24 is forecast. I wonder if that's radiation or advective? Radiation freezes are not a problem with protection. Advective, not so much. That's why I think we got hammered a couple of weeks ago...... 24 and 20 MPH winds.

47.7F low this morning, 57.7 now. Really windy out so feels much colder. Forecast 41F tonight (down -1 from yesterday's forecast). Then more normal 70s/50s for Jan. thru Tues. Next cold blast starting in No. Canada. So tired of arctic fronts every 2-3 days

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The precipatation has ended in Houston, moved east. The temp is still at it's morning low of 29 at my place. There was some light freezing rain and it turned to light sleet just before ending. The bridges and over passes are iced up. Still some light rain in Galveston with the temp about 32. An hour north of town there is an inch of snow on the ground.

Ed in Houston

Still 29 here, too. Unfortunately precipitation has not stopped.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Snowing?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Snowing?

Snow 20 miles north. Drizzling rain here that is freezing on contact with hard surfaces. Got 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice coating vehicles. Fine film of ice on plant foliage. This is gonna be one ugly a$$ garden come spring.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Now, light snow falling. We just hit our high today of 31 degrees. By the time this ends, we will be right around 32 consecutive hours below freezing. They are now predicting 3 days of this next week, but much colder at 32,24,27 with ice.

This will go down in history here as the January from hell. Although we have had colder single snaps, I am pretty comfortable this will go down as the coldest January on record here, ever.

Weird weather, today we're holding steady at 52F. . .

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

The only bright side I can see, Keith is that if I can make it through this year, I can make it through any. Palms aside, It is starting to get depressing, though.

This, for us, could have easily been 2010 all over again. But some force is keeping the thermometer from going under 32°F here. It sure has been a long cool/cold spell.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Same for me. Its been odd. They keep calling for freezes In my coastal Pasco location, yet we stay somewhere between 35/38 during each cold snap. Highs have been brutal. Today topped at 58F. There have been at least 4 days not to 50F. I'm watching next week's cold spell - and it is not funny! It is COLD. Early indications are they are not sure how far south the freeze will go. Jax could hit low 20'sF, and Atlanta single digits again. We will see as it closes in. GAWD COLD go away. Those Cali dudes are baking away. Guess its our turn this year to suffer. :hmm:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Here at my place in Flour Bluff in Corpus Christi, low of 34.7F so far and a high of only 41.3F. At the airport, the low was 30F and high only 37F for a new record low high. The normal high/low at the airport now are 67F and 48F. Tonight they are predicting a low of 28F-30F at the airport, which means a low of 32F-35F for me. They are predicting us to get cold again next week, with 2 mornings at or below freezing again at the airport. We are supposed to be in the low to mid 70's on Sunday and Monday, though. I am so sick of this wicked weather. Good luck everyone, and stay warm (if possible)!

John

After howling winds this morning, reached 63 here. Wind is back up but not as bad as earlier. 67 tomorrow, 69-71 Sunday thru Tuesday timeframe then.. we'll see. Euro models put the COLD in cold right over the state. Even saw possible wintery stuff as far south as Brooksville on some of the W.U station forecasts last night. At the other end of the spectrum, GFS keeps things much milder. Going to be a very changeable forecast ahead. Beyond that, looks like most of the cold shifts back up into the upper Midwest and Northeast.

Checked over some of the info from the Accuweather forecasters and it does indeed look like Feb could be stormy as things start to moderate. One of the Long range forecasters was saying the core of the cold looks to shift back up into Alaska and things turn more zonal here in the 48. Current Long rage update paints Florida in more warmth through the month. West coast could get some rain, but it also stays mild/warm. While the return to 80F days, and 60+F evenings may be a month or two out, anything is better than this wind and afternoons below 60. I will say now, the summer ahead could be interesting, and a swelter.

-Nathan-

They are, for sure, NOT SURE. Some are saying milder than thought, others stay cold. It does appear the string of cold fronts should be over after this next piece leaves. FINALLY. Feb is looking much milder now. It should be interesting as we close in on midweek. :sick:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Accuweather calls for 49 next wed night thurs morning here, last time i checked it was 41...is it a glitch or what?

Edited by Dakotafl

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

Overnight low 49.1F vs predicted 41. What happened? Don't know but I like it. Temps more normal 70s/50s until Wed, then back down to 40F Wed. night then lows up to 50s, perhaps 60. January be gone!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Our low was 36 last night.....we dodged the major Louisiana bullet. I'm thankful

We put in a ton of tropical landscaping this past summer at the house, and nothing looks bad at this point. Most plants look completely untouched. I guess this demonstrates that the extended chill without any freezes may not be too problematic. Any time in the past (in my experience) when we've had extended chill like this in Dec/Jan/Feb, we have also had at least one freeze. I will give it another couple months to know for sure though.

I could get used to the cool days. It is 68F today and I actually feel a little warm.

Corpus Christi today, 29F and 65F at the airport. My place in Flour Bluff, 34.7F and 69.2F. What a warm up in just one day, especially as close to the water as I am at! Local weather stations are predicting another good chance of freezing rain/sleet for Tuesday night and Wednesday morning with lows around 30-32F for the main part of town and west side. This would be the third time in just 3 weeks that Corpus has had frozen precipitation! Absolutely unheard of this far south, 3 times in one season!!! Corpus can normally go for a couple of decades or more without any frozen precipitation, and yet we might have 3 times in 3 weeks! This is the strangest winter I have ever seen in South Texas, and I was born and raised in Texas, and I am 44 years old!

The '83 and '89 freezes were horrible, with teens all the way to Brownsville and even South Padre (17F on South Padre Island in '89), but after those horrible winter outbreaks, it warmed up and the rest of the winter those two years was fairly normal as I recall. This winter though, may go down as the coldest or second coldest winter on record as far as duration of the cold. Even though we have not had a freeze at my place, we have had MANY more nights in the 30's and 40's already than we would normally have all winter long. Really, really strange and weird weather.

John

Forecasts are all over for Tampa Bay - perhaps a freeze. no just 40F or so, clouds, etc. One station says big cold snap, another says chilly for a few days then warming up. What to make of it? :asleep:

Here Accuweather revised Wednesday night and Thursday morning from 49 to 56, Weather.com revised from 41 to 45, NWS revisedfrom 41 to 50.

These are kind of big differences so obviously they have good reason to believe that it will be moderated somehow by the time it gets here, and they all call for clouds and rain both those days, we would have snow flurries if it were to go into the thirties, i don't see much potential for a Freeze out of this "big" cold blast that everyone was talking about..

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

They are talking about a "wintery mix" for the Santa Rosa Beach forecast, with accumulations of snow and ice of less than an inch.....well thats reassuring :(

Temps are "only" supposed to be 33 ....but yet snow or ice?

Mild and cloudy atm with temps running in the 60s. Hoping the sun breaks through sometime this afternoon. Still a lot of confusion over the "forecasted" cold spell for the middle of the week. After looking at all the weather sites, most have raised temps for Wednesday, and Thursday morning. Might stay in the the 60s according to a couple forecasts. Accuweather ofcourse is forecasting sleet and freezing rain for the panhandle at that time.

Latest model run on Weather underground also suggests the cold won't make it down here( per 18z of the GFS. Other models are similar at this point.). Rapid warming takes place in it's wake. Looking forward to what appears to be a stretch of upper 70 to low 80s returning by this time next week. Already got batches of seed and some cuttings down in anticipation. Additionally, rain looks like it returns to CA as the pattern goes zonal. Really hoping this isn't a bust, even if it doesn't break the drought. Every drop helps. Keep an eye on the next couple days, then,.. enjoy some much welcomed sunshine.

-Nathan-

Mild and cloudy atm with temps running in the 60s. Hoping the sun breaks through sometime this afternoon. Still a lot of confusion over the "forecasted" cold spell for the middle of the week. After looking at all the weather sites, most have raised temps for Wednesday, and Thursday morning. Might stay in the the 60s according to a couple forecasts. Accuweather ofcourse is forecasting sleet and freezing rain for the panhandle at that time.

Latest model run on Weather underground also suggests the cold won't make it down here( per 18z of the GFS. Other models are similar at this point.). Rapid warming takes place in it's wake. Looking forward to what appears to be a stretch of upper 70 to low 80s returning by this time next week. Already got batches of seed and some cuttings down in anticipation. Additionally, rain looks like it returns to CA as the pattern goes zonal. Really hoping this isn't a bust, even if it doesn't break the drought. Every drop helps. Keep an eye on the next couple days, then,.. enjoy some much welcomed sunshine.

-Nathan-

They are certainly not raising temps here.

Tonight

Jan 26 45.gif Showers Late 52° 30 % Mon

Jan 27 11.gif Showers / Wind 56°/29° 50 % Tue

Jan 28 7.gif Light Wintry Mix 32°/23° 60 % Wed

Jan 29 30.gif Partly Cloudy 43°/27° 20 % Thu

Jan 30 26.gif Cloudy 56°/46° 10 % F

I'm about to start crying over here....may need to leave the palm hobby after this

I'm about to start crying over here....may need to leave the palm hobby after this

You and me both. I can certainly remember worse freezes, like 1989. But as far as continued bad freezes in one year. this may be the worst I remember in my half century on this planet.

Keith,

You using Weather Channel data?.. Looked over Accuweather's extended and temps beyond Wednesday warm considerably, esp. by next weekend. Same for Panama City. Hoping there is enough of an influence off the Gulf to keep any possible frozen precip. further north. Unless there is a drastic shift from what consistency has existed in the extended over the past 4 days, improvement, and a much needed break is on the way. Hang in there guys, the end is in sight.

-Nathan-

Thanks for the encouragement...hope you are right.

I have a plan:

Continue to tarp the front flower bed with the Bizmarkia...it should be fine

the other flower bed has a mule that should be fine...may wrap some plastic and blankets around crown area to keep out water.

Two big mules in the back should be ok.

Livistonia nitida, saribus, decora's should be ok.....I hope

smaller healthy C. alba ....got a large beach tent that I can put over it to keep out the precipitation...keep it dry.

smaller C. alba that almost died from transplant shock....cut off all the dead fronds and bag it with plastic and sheets.

Big Phoenix canary/sylvestris...is on its own.....hope it will be ok.

T. C. alba...all the fronds are dead...hurricane cut everything except growing point.....plastic bag it to keep out moisture.....gonna need a tall ladder for that.

My big Sabal causiarum.....I hope and pray will be ok...this is my biggest prize and fear. It is doing pretty good so far this winter with some damage.

Queens I think are toast....I might try and protect the growing point on them somehow....not sure about these.

will try and tarp the A. wrightii ....keep out moisture

plastic bag the large ponytail if possible.

D. cabadae and C. macrocarpa around the pool will remain tarped and heated....these things never left summer.

small stuff will get covered as good as possible

Wish me luck

Thanks for the encouragement...hope you are right.

I have a plan:

Continue to tarp the front flower bed with the Bizmarkia...it should be fine

the other flower bed has a mule that should be fine...may wrap some plastic and blankets around crown area to keep out water.

Two big mules in the back should be ok.

Livistonia nitida, saribus, decora's should be ok.....I hope

smaller healthy C. alba ....got a large beach tent that I can put over it to keep out the precipitation...keep it dry.

smaller C. alba that almost died from transplant shock....cut off all the dead fronds and bag it with plastic and sheets.

Big Phoenix canary/sylvestris...is on its own.....hope it will be ok.

T. C. alba...all the fronds are dead...hurricane cut everything except growing point.....plastic bag it to keep out moisture.....gonna need a tall ladder for that.

My big Sabal causiarum.....I hope and pray will be ok...this is my biggest prize and fear. It is doing pretty good so far this winter with some damage.

Queens I think are toast....I might try and protect the growing point on them somehow....not sure about these.

will try and tarp the A. wrightii ....keep out moisture

plastic bag the large ponytail if possible.

D. cabadae and C. macrocarpa around the pool will remain tarped and heated....these things never left summer.

small stuff will get covered as good as possible

Wish me luck

What the heck? How cold is it going to get?

Showers in the evening, then cloudy overnight. Low near 35F. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Tuesday
sleet.gif Mainly cloudy in the morning. Then a mix of wintry precipitation expected during the afternoon. High 42F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 50%.
Tuesday Night
nt_sleet.gif Cloudy with a mixture of winter precipitation. Low 32F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 60%. Snow and ice accumulating 1 to 3 inches.
Wednesday
sleet.gif A wintry mix in the morning. Then clouds will linger in the afternoon. High 42F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 30%.
Wednesday Night
nt_partlycloudy.gif Some clouds early will give way to generally clear conditions overnight. Low 29F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

Hmmm - Sabal causairum hanging in there. This means that Keith has a chance with his. :winkie:

Hope the sleet and snow bypasses you guys.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Showers in the evening, then cloudy overnight. Low near 35F. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Tuesday
sleet.gif Mainly cloudy in the morning. Then a mix of wintry precipitation expected during the afternoon. High 42F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 50%.
Tuesday Night
nt_sleet.gif Cloudy with a mixture of winter precipitation. Low 32F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 60%. Snow and ice accumulating 1 to 3 inches.
Wednesday
sleet.gif A wintry mix in the morning. Then clouds will linger in the afternoon. High 42F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 30%.
Wednesday Night
nt_partlycloudy.gif Some clouds early will give way to generally clear conditions overnight. Low 29F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

29F? You'll be fine:)

Hmmm - Sabal causairum hanging in there. This means that Keith has a chance with his. :winkie:

Hope the sleet and snow bypasses you guys.

Thx Ron. I am hoping that low of 23 rises. If it doesn't a coating of ice might help more than it would hurt.

David,

Sounds like you have everything well planned out. Its crazy to see a forecast that includes 1-3 inches of snow up there. Again, im hoping the set up for this forecast does not come to pass. If there is a silver lining, What has sustained damage, shouldn't see more.. and, if you do get a coating of ice, it should help insulate the plants, as Keith had mentioned.

How ironic is it that Panama city was the first stop I made when I took a road trip through Florida several years ago. That trip was only the 2nd time I had ever seen the Gulf of Mexico. Hard to imagine standing on the Pier, or, on Mexico Beach and watching snow flakes disappear into the sea.

-Nathan-

David,

Sounds like you have everything well planned out. Its crazy to see a forecast that includes 1-3 inches of snow up there. Again, im hoping the set up for this forecast does not come to pass. If there is a silver lining, What has sustained damage, shouldn't see more.. and, if you do get a coating of ice, it should help insulate the plants, as Keith had mentioned.

How ironic is it that Panama city was the first stop I made when I took a road trip through Florida several years ago. That trip was only the 2nd time I had ever seen the Gulf of Mexico. Hard to imagine standing on the Pier, or, on Mexico Beach and watching snow flakes disappear into the sea.

-Nathan-

Sitting by a beach side fire on Mexico Beach and watching snow flakes disappear into the sea would actually be pretty damn cool. Just saying.