IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I wait for Palm Sunday?

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

I started to clean up a mongrel blue phoenix reclinata. it's different from other reclinata species in that the fronds actually are glaucus blue, so I suspect it's a reclinata x dactylifera or reclinata x sylvestris. I was originally going to remove it entirely, but I decided to to see if cutting out some of the suckers and giving it a good trim would make it look good. And the answer is yes, it's simply amazing how a giant formless bush suddenly turned into a real nice graceful clump of palms.

It was hard to cut off actual growing crowns of fronds, but necessary. And after doing half of it, I realized it generated a massive amount of waste that included a lot of really good quality fronds that are in high demand on Palm Sunday, which is this year falls on April 13. Should I wait until Palm Sunday to do the rest? Do any of you wait until Palm Sunday to do major phoenix trimming?

20140112_115207_zpshbr3btqz.jpg

20140112_115204_zpsigfzrynk.jpg

Have seen several reclinata but none of them were glaucus blue. Looks like a beautiful color on that species. Bet there are not too many of them around.

Your post reminds me of a very large Prichardia 'reclinata' that Mike and I saw at a local nurery about a year after we started purchasing palms. The nusery owner, who traveled alot, called it reclinata as a joke. It had fallen down while he was away and ended up with the 1st 5' or so on the ground and about 10' growing upwards. It was stunning and the owner wanted $50 for it. An amazing price for Kona. We were stupid and didn't buy it because we had just started planting and thought we didn't have any place to plant it. A couple of months later we found a spot for it and went back to buy it. It had been purchased (for a lot more money) by a professional landscaper. We still kick ourselves for that.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

If its reclinata x dactylifera it will be one nasty barrier. Like an expanding, suckering barb wire fence, only the barbs will be 3" and sharp... I had a nasty suckering reclinata hybrid in AZ, most dangerous palm to trim ever. I was stabbed so many times by leaflet tip and spines that I will never own any palm with reclinata blood again. Every time I tried to trim the new suckers I was stabbed by the larger overhanging foliage... Now when I trim my 4 species of livistonas I think: "no problem, those spines aren't bad". As for as the cuttings, doubt you'll make any friends giving those away....

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

If its reclinata x dactylifera it will be one nasty barrier. Like an expanding, suckering barb wire fence, only the barbs will be 3" and sharp... I had a nasty suckering reclinata hybrid in AZ, most dangerous palm to trim ever. I was stabbed so many times by leaflet tip and spines that I will never own any palm with reclinata blood again. Every time I tried to trim the new suckers I was stabbed by the larger overhanging foliage... Now when I trim my 4 species of livistonas I think: "no problem, those spines aren't bad". As for as the cuttings, doubt you'll make any friends giving those away....

I was able to trim the first half without getting stabbed. gloves and a good saw make it easy. The thorns are no bigger thsn any of my other reclinata, glad the thorns are there, otherwise it would be full of rats. In Florida you would have them full of water rats without the thorns.

I was very aggressive in bringing down the suckers, it maked a big difference and makes them easier to trim later.

Axel, a picture please of your reclinata x dactylifera hybrid! You are so lucky; I do not have the luxury of waiting for Palm Sunday here, I have to do all trimming while rpw is still asleep.

Axel, a picture please of your reclinata x dactylifera hybrid! You are so lucky; I do not have the luxury of waiting for Palm Sunday here, I have to do all trimming while rpw is still asleep.

Thanks for pointing this out, you reminded me of the disease issues, and it is actually a good reason to do the pruning now and not wait for Palm Sunday, as we are experiencing record low humidities. As soon as I am done pruning, I will take a photo. You'll see the before and after.

If you have a fireplace, they make the best kindling, after Rosemary . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

No before and after shots? :(

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 3 weeks later...

Owfully sorry, it is an abbreviation used mainly by British and other Europeans meaning Canary Island Date Palm, but actually I wanted to write dactylifera.