IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Polar Vortex vs. Large Palms in Zone 9a

Alicehunter2000

Keith, you need to sleep more. 1 AM and posting? I try to tell myself that no matter how many times I check the weather, it wont change!!! Of course here I am discussing it right now!

cut K eith some slack I have done the same thing many times in the past --- I remember once (thank god I did) looking oout and seeing a fire in the green house --- I had bought one of the cheap wall gas heaters and didnt hang it right and it caught the green house beam s on fire --- I was able to put it out before it burned to much and immolated the whole place. ---

I have been spared so far maybe 27-28 at the lowest ---lots of wind chill but the local news weather is so out of what so much dramatizatin--- It never got lower than 32 or so I didnt heat --- FAWN has weather stations all over the state Maclenny barely froze and Hastings was above 32 so I dought if I got much below 32. Thank goodness as I still have to cover the Jubeopsis and triangle before too much more is burnt. Good luck to all.

Ed

Wow looks like snow has entered the Florida panhandle north of I-10 above Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach. We are still above freezing but thats kind of scary...don't need precipitation of any kind at this point.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Still holding at 29 here. Snow just north of use. Drizzling rain here. Vehicles are covered with 1/4" of ice. Plant leaves are starting accumulate ice as well. Looking like all Citrus will have 100% foliage loss. Probably all but the really hardiest palms as well will be 100% defoliated.

And next week has not even hit us yet. The projected low moved up on that one from 20 to 24, but no doubt, I am gonna lose some stuff on this one, maybe a lot of stuff.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Still holding at 29 here. Snow just north of use. Drizzling rain here. Vehicles are covered with 1/4" of ice. Plant leaves are starting accumulate ice as well. Looking like all Citrus will have 100% foliage loss. Probably all but the really hardiest palms as well will be 100% defoliated.

And next week has not even hit us yet. The project low moved up on that one from 20 to 24, but no doubt, I am gonna lose some stuff on this one, maybe a lot of stuff.

Keith, my condolences and best wishes. I lost 30+ spss after 1/11/10. On 1/9 we had near-freezing rain that dropped temp from 39 to 35F during the daytime. In the nearly 21 years living in Cape Coral this is the only day we got rain at temps below 50F. I foolishly believed and preached my area never got precipitation on cold days.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hang in there, any one in the US growing palms goes thru this a few times in their life --- I have been so lucky it hasnt really happened since 2001 for me --- y ou just hope you get 10 or 20 years out of p lants --- I have several in the ground 29 years and a grove of Livistona 20+ years . Many usual garden plants dont live that long even if they can take hard freezes (Red buds in FL for instance and some other temperate trees) . I always planted more and better replacements --- this adds to wonder of the hobby thats how I look at it -- this may not bring you complete solace but its like sports losing kind of prepares you for future sucess and they seem sweeter on account of this.

Best regards

Ed

And next week has not even hit us yet. The projected low moved up on that one from 20 to 24, but no doubt, I am gonna lose some stuff on this one, maybe a lot of stuff.

Keith, I am sorry to hear this, it sounds awful. I remember how miserable I felt last December when we got hit with our arctic cold snap. I also was up late at night. I conjured up images of complete disaster. Some things fared worse than I thought, but many other things fared much better than I expected.

Sorry to hear it Keith....that's probably what is in store for me tonight ...hope not. We are at 45 with no rainor pprecipitation but a lot of clouds. Maybe not good for after nightfall. Most of the large palms are still hanging in there....time will tell.

Thank you Axel and David. What makes it tough is that we just got zapped in 2010. I lost all of my tender stuff back then. Now, 3 years later with everything just getting back to looking prime, we get a double zap this year just 3 weeks apart, then then a 3rd time coming in a couple of days.

This picture pretty much sums it up out there.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thank you Axel and David. What makes it tough is that we just got zapped in 2010. I lost all of my tender stuff back then. Now, 3 years later with everything just getting back to looking prime, we get a double zap this year just 3 weeks apart, then then a 3rd time coming 3 days from now.

This picture pretty much sums it up out there. Icicles starting to reach 4 inches.

post-1207-0-54348100-1390594235_thumb.jp

I wish I could say this was some cool variation. Even the palms under cover, normally protected from this are coated in ice. The freeze damage is already showing on the Rhapis.

post-1207-0-91046400-1390598924_thumb.jp

Filibustas will be at best, 100% foliage loss.

post-1207-0-44546200-1390599016_thumb.jp

CIDP 100% foliage loss. L. chinensis was hanging in, but those leaves are not coated with ice. That will be 100%.

post-1207-0-08077900-1390599185_thumb.jp

Hang in there, any one in the US growing palms goes thru this a few times in their life --- I have been so lucky it hasnt really happened since 2001 for me --- y ou just hope you get 10 or 20 years out of p lants --- I have several in the ground 29 years and a grove of Livistona 20+ years . Many usual garden plants dont live that long even if they can take hard freezes (Red buds in FL for instance and some other temperate trees) . I always planted more and better replacements --- this adds to wonder of the hobby thats how I look at it -- this may not bring you complete solace but its like sports losing kind of prepares you for future sucess and they seem sweeter on account of this.

Best regards

Ed

Yup

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

My beautiful A. engleri beaten down, also coated in ice.

post-1207-0-48277100-1390599333_thumb.jp

Keith, that it sickening. I only hope to be able to go through that kind of heartbreak one day...... because I have grown awesome palms like yourself! BTW I had a nightmare last night that the winter storm blew the roof off of my greenhouse and I was running around with my coconuts trying to save them! :mrlooney: Isn't there an ICD-9 code for paranoid palm mania?

Ow, ow, ow. Those photos are excrutiating.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Keith that's terrible..., hopefully most of it will come back reasonably well by mid summer and hopefully it is just frond damage.

I just watched the local forcast and it appears that we will be catching a major break tonight. Evidently our air is so dry with almost negative dew points that the rain/sleet/snow mixture is not making it this far east and south. We are supposed to have temps above freezing tonight....whew!

Keith that's terrible..., hopefully most of it will come back reasonably well by mid summer and hopefully it is just frond damage.

I just watched the local forcast and it appears that we will be catching a major break tonight. Evidently our air is so dry with almost negative dew points that the rain/sleet/snow mixture is not making it this far east and south. We are supposed to have temps above freezing tonight....whew!

You lucked out indeed. Everything is frozen here now, covered with ice, and heading to a low of 28 tonight. And that is the good part, this is what's coming.

Sat

Jan 25 Mostly Sunny 59°/38° 0 % Sun

Jan 26 Mostly Sunny 64°/50° 10 % Mon

Jan 27 Showers 56°/30° 40 % Tue

Jan 28 Mostly Cloudy 39°/22° 10 % Wed

Jan 29 Mostly Sunny 42°/24° 10 % Thu

Jan 30 Cloudy 54°/39° 10 %

Some very unhappy Alphonse Karr bamboo.

post-1207-0-42535900-1390613264_thumb.jp

Figuring it wasn't going to be that cold, I had tucked the new Mule palms on the south side of the pool. Between the water and the cement that should have been more than adequate at 30. I just never figured on the ice storm and the 36 hours below freezing. They are totally bent over. Since this photo, I hurricane cut them and brought them inside. There they will stay until after the finishing shot to the gardens head with next weeks, arctic blow.

post-1207-0-22865800-1390613509_thumb.jp

Keith your photos are so hard to look at. I'm so sorry you and others are getting it so bad down your way. I thought our Calif 23 degree weather was bad, it was (cause it held for many hours and over a number of days), but it actually seems like you guys are getting the worst of it this year.

My heart sank when I saw your new mules there (ones you drove all those miles and hours to get if I'm not mistaken). Hope you stopped the freeze damage on them and they pull thru. You deserve a break. I heard about the predictions for next week on tonight's news. Keep wishing you guys the best.

David, hope you get lucky.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Similar conditions here. However, that spotting look, they can bounce back. Its not a clear sign of damage. I have seen it several times and they bounce back, with no damage. If you have already been to 20F, then today isn't going to be worse at 30- 32F. I would post pictures, but I am not sure how to do it. Is that a queen with little damage along with the canary?

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Similar conditions here. However, that spotting look, they can bounce back. Its not a clear sign of damage. I have seen it several times and they bounce back, with no damage. If you have already been to 20F, then today isn't going to be worse at 30- 32F. I would post pictures, but I am not sure how to do it. Is that a queen with little damage along with the canary?

The big palm behind it is a queen, a very very hardy queen.

Keith...that queen produce seed?

Painful, that is all this is.. I knew last night when Ice/snow was lurking around Houston this was going to hold together as it moved east. Really hope the cold spell this coming week is the last of it, especially up your way. Time to shift all this nonsense back to Canada and get everything there in recovery mode.

-Nathan-

Keith I am saddest about the mules.... of course you know why! Well, those mules look like the kind I like, more syagrussy. Maybe you and I will plan a road trip together to go get more.

Funny thing about that pic of the mules.... it looks like all of the leaflets come off the rachis about horizontal and then droop toward the ground. That is the howea/ coconut look. That is what I like. The funny thing is..... is that because the leaflets are laden with ice?!

Surveying the state of the yard......everything looks like crap....we need heat badly. Even the mules look a little damaged. Still hoping everything survives. More freezing temps expected Tuesday.

Don't even want to think about Keith's yard. On a positive note. ...we should have some good data for the Freeze Damage section.

Keith I am saddest about the mules.... of course you know why! Well, those mules look like the kind I like, more syagrussy. Maybe you and I will plan a road trip together to go get more.

I hurricane cut the Mules and brought them in. I suspect they will all be fine, maybe. It will certainly take them a while to regrow the tops and recover..

The triple planting of P. sylvestris. Although hard to tell they are totally encapsulated in a thin coat of ice. With that ice weighting down the fronds, the spears is clearly visible like a frozen spire pointing to the heavens.

post-1207-0-50924000-1390665096_thumb.jp

Crepe Myrtles show the extent of the ice a little better.

Pictures not posting correctly. Will try again later.

post-1207-0-44907400-1390666137_thumb.jp

This is the very large, very very hardy queen that was asked about. This was this morning, still full of ice, and after seeing 20 and 23 a couple of weeks ago. It will be tested again next week.

post-1207-0-08268800-1390668365_thumb.jp

Some more pics from todaypost-97-0-44380500-1390670861_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-17990000-1390670935_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-48190100-1390670993_thumb.jpg

Rhaphis varieties

More Rhaphis post-97-0-27256500-1390671453_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-83071900-1390671509_thumb.jpg

Morepost-97-0-08286000-1390671745_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-94517900-1390671797_thumb.jpg

cardboards.......look toasty

Its still cold and cloudy outside. ..nothing better to do except post some picturespost-97-0-86845700-1390672262_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-97846300-1390672322_thumb.jpg

C. albapost-97-0-78981800-1390672698_thumb.jpg

the tall green one is 98 percent fried. ...with only a hint of green in the spear area

Next uppost-97-0-53609700-1390673150_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-92460200-1390673207_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-16107300-1390673371_thumb.jpg

Livistonia's

nitida

saribus

and chinesis