IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Needle Palm - How Cold Can it Take? How about -10 to -15F (-23 to -26C)?

Keith N Tampa (ex SoJax)

Will this dude make it? The pix with no snow was Dec 2013. The plant had been in the ground without protection since March 2007.

post-192-0-37556100-1389127270_thumb.jpg

post-192-0-65844000-1389127423_thumb.jpg

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

theres one in Washington DC at the arboretuem that has seen snow and freeze as well as some trachycarpus in Delaware at Rehoboth beach unless it is n the midwest or some negaive cold areas

Best

Hi Ed, how are thinngs in South Jacksonville this cold day? From what I can tell, my palms in Mandarin got whacked pretty hard last night and will again tonight. Looks like another yard cleanup trip is due later this month.

Yes, that needle is in Smithton, IL, just southeast of St Louis. It has been exposed to 36 hours below zero with an absoute low between -10 and -15. Those temps defoliate Magnolia grandiflora and freeze Crape Myrtle to the snow line. It was -10 this morning at the time my father took the pix. Scott Air Force Base nearby was -15 this morning, the second lowest temperature in the entire state of Illinois. I don't think DC has ever been that cold, but I could be wrong. I think it'll live, but its going to look awful in spring.

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I would be interested in hearing how it fares at those cold temps! I have never protected my needles, and didn't last night when it went down to 8 degrees-but thats the first time it ever got that cold since its been in the ground (I think maybe 10 yrs ago I planted it?) and mine are quite a bit larger than your dad's. Mine has seen 20" of snow on it when it was the size of your dads though and that didn't bother it. I hope it makes it-it might be a record for a needle to survive those temps

I would be interested in hearing how it fares at those cold temps! I have never protected my needles, and didn't last night when it went down to 8 degrees-but thats the first time it ever got that cold since its been in the ground (I think maybe 10 yrs ago I planted it?) and mine are quite a bit larger than your dad's. Mine has seen 20" of snow on it when it was the size of your dads though and that didn't bother it. I hope it makes it-it might be a record for a needle to survive those temps

kahili, There is one amazing specimen in Knoxville that survived their official low of -24!!!! Thats Blue Spruce Cold! Yikes. After this event, if it lives, I'm going to have a whole new respect for the species.

I've grown several and have given up. Sabal minor is much better in my opinion. I would lose the main palm right around 0*F, sometimes +5*F, but the suckers would sprout again in the late spring. Now, I never really protected mine other than planting them with a southern exposure against a brick house.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Ours has taken many snows and the teens with no damage in Virginia Beach with no protection. I think yours will be fine.

Cindy Adair

I've grown several and have given up. Sabal minor is much better in my opinion. I would lose the main palm right around 0*F, sometimes +5*F, but the suckers would sprout again in the late spring. Now, I never really protected mine other than planting them with a southern exposure against a brick house.

That's good to know, Jake. This one is facing east and has some shade from the woods beyond. I wonder if the sun is a liability durin serious cold spells?

Ours has taken many snows and the teens with no damage in Virginia Beach with no protection. I think yours will be fine.

Cindy, I hope it lives. This one has been rock solid down to 5 and endured snow for a full month. But I've never had a palm survive -10, much less -15! That's so dang cold it hurts...and it stayed below zero for about 36 hours. Is hard to imagine a palm surviving that intense cold. But if it does, it will be stunning.

Cindy, I hope it lives. This one has been rock solid down to 5 and endured snow for a full month. But I've never had a palm survive -10, much less -15! That's so dang cold it hurts...and it stayed below zero for about 36 hours. Is hard to imagine a palm surviving that intense cold. But if it does, it will be stunning.

Actually, if I recall correctly at temps below 32 the snow becomes an insulator and helps to keep the plant from enduring the ultimate low temps.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

it might be toat in st louie --- it only got down to 27 here I think most was okay bugt will see what was scorhed in a few weeks when it borowns up

Best regardsd

I had just glanced at the photo, obviously overlooking the negative signs before your temperatures in the heading! I guess the Florida under your name distracted me as well as coming off a 12 hour shift at work. Now that I actually have READ the thread and paid attention, I am as concerned as you are about this one. Please let us know what happens and perhaps I'll learn to read before replying!

Cindy Adair

Keith, I forgot to mention that I think the biggest contributor to the demise of my needle palms was winter moisture coupled with single-digit temperatures which produced rot. It's a perfect recipe for it.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Actually, if I recall correctly at temps below 32 the snow becomes an insulator and helps to keep the plant from enduring the ultimate low temps.

Yes, like a palm igloo.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)