IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Freeze of 2014 - I just as soon start the thread now

_Keith

The winter that won't go away......supposed to be 37 and then 36 degrees Wed. and Thur. night this week. Hope it doesn't go any lower.

I wouldn't worry about that where you are. A couple nights in the 30s in late February is hardly unusual in the FL Panhandle. It is below average though, continuing the trend of the past couple months. Nothing below average here lately. I actually wouldn't mind the days being a bit cooler, it's been kind of muggy at times. Still no plant deaths from this winter here. Trees, and shrubs are blooming and starting to leaf out (which is later than usual actually).

The Upper Midwest, however, has been incredibly cold, relative to average. This winter will be the end of zone pushing for most for a few years. Though I wouldn't mind the deep freeze, I know most people hate temps that cold, so I feel bad for residents there :violin:

It is rather warm in Orlando, I have a cousin down there and he said that they went swimming today. The cold that affected many of us didn't hit that area of Florida really either this year. When I was down after the "big freeze" there was very little damage on any of the staples and I saw king palms that looked perfectly fine as well. I was in Kissimee though.

It's been a very warm February here in Highlands County, Florida, in terms of daily highs.

As of today, February 25, 2014, we've had 18 days with daily high temperatures of 80 degrees F or above, with nine of those days 85 degrees or above, the highest being 87 degrees.

These are University of Florida documented temperatures taken at the Sebring, Florida, FAWN station. I live eight miles south of the FAWN weather station. Tomorrow they are calling for low 80s, then a cool front comes through dropping daily highs into the 70s, then back into the 80s by this weekend.

Mad about palms

That is absolutely beautiful early spring weather, I would be outdoors planting and prepping into the early hours of the night. Truly awesome!

• 1 month later...

April 13th, and old man winter will still not give up the ghost. Forecast for 38 on Tuesday morning. That'll put an even bigger chill in you than paying taxes on that day.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I just hope that wind keeps blowing at 37 F. If not, we could frost in late April!!!!!!! I am gonna get up at around 2 AM and hose down everything to warm it up so as to prevent frost..... will it work?

I just hope that wind keeps blowing at 37 F. If not, we could frost in late April!!!!!!! I am gonna get up at around 2 AM and hose down everything to warm it up so as to prevent frost..... will it work?

I think you can sleep a couple hours later for sure. But if you got all the rain we got, you are probably safe. However, if you are an early morning riser, well, what the heck. If you are setting the clock, I would set it no earlier than 4:30.

And sure glad we got the rain as I forgot to water your palm before leaving on my current business trip. :-)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Boy that sucks Keith...I think it is only supposed to get in the 50's over here. Here is a shot of Alys Beach P. dacts.post-97-0-30572700-1397529781_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Beautiful, clear, sunny and 84F on Saturday (12th); 1 1/2 inches of rain all Sunday and 2 inches of Snow on Sunday night. . .

(and out of the last 118 years on record, 54 have had April snow-falls, so this is "average")

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 2 months later...

There is always a surprise. Even after this winter from hell, and with no protection at at all, a young Majesty returns from the roots.

post-1207-0-48069700-1403493965_thumb.jp

I have been seeing that phenomenon around here too. What flavor costus ginger is that next to it? Didn't know you had any of that. You've been holding out on me!