IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Freeze of 2014 - I just as soon start the thread now

_Keith

Walt, that's what I'm hoping for….better-than-expected :P lol.Side note, I missed your last garden tour with CFPACS so I'm also hoping to someday to meet you! :greenthumb:

Shirley: It's raining here now (lightly). Temperature is now 41 degrees. I suspect it won't get much lower than that as sunrise is (was) at 7:16 a.m. today in Lake Placid. Sorry you missed the CFPACS tour at my place. Maybe nextime.

Mad about palms

EEEEE! Now 38.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Same thing here. Temp dropped to 39 degrees. But, with the sun rising I'm sure we've seen our low temperature for today. The forecast calls for higher low temps for tomorrow morning -- then the warm up begins. If 39 proves to be my low for this winter I will be elated.

Mad about palms

:crying: 6:30 am..........the bottom fell out last night..........it is now 19.9 degrees. My sprinkler shallow well pump froze up and I broke the plastic valve know trying to open it ....cut my thumb on the plastic....hope it didn't screw my pump up. Monitor freeze damage section for info........Damn!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Whew, that was short…..it's back up to 39. I'm gonna go count how many more days till Spring.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

21 degrees Pensacola Beach at sunrise. There wasn't any breaks on this train <_<

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

Over the weekend the predicted lows for this morning were 40 for Palm Beach. We're fortunate and bottomed out at 46 at 6:30 AM. The low this morning a quick hit & we should be back to normal tomorrow. I really feel fortunate, this time. :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

:crying: 6:30 am..........the bottom fell out last night..........it is now 19.9 degrees. My sprinkler shallow well pump froze up and I broke the plastic valve know trying to open it ....cut my thumb on the plastic....hope it didn't screw my pump up. Monitor freeze damage section for info........Damn!

OUCH

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

14 degrees in Virginia Beach, VA. Our normal low for this date is 33. With wind chill considered it'll feel like - 2 and some area schools are on a 2 hour delay. My greenhouse went down to 49 average with a pocket of 42 near some rare little orchids, the lowest I remember inside it. It should warm up by tomorrow.

Our oldest child at school in Michigan thinks Virginia's temperatures are balmy...

We will lose some things outside. Hope the trachs are okay.

Cindy Adair

OUCH

DANG!

Shirleypt.png

Sorry David. Looks like another night in store, but not quite as bad here. We bottomed out at 23, but low of 25 predicted for tonight before this mess finally moves on.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The forecast for today said we would struggle to get up to 50. I believe it as we've been holding around 40 degrees for the past two hours, even though the sun has come up. I had to turn on the heat pump for the first time this winter. I guess I didn't have to turn it on but it did feel a little chilly in the house.

Mad about palms

Here in Corpus Christi, I bottomed out at 33.0F in Flour Bluff. I think they said the airport bottomed out at 30F with some upper 20's north of Corpus. There were reports of light sleet and some light snow around town and west of Corpus with a little moisture that moved over the area during the night from northern Mexico, but dry here at my place. At 8:30 am it is 39.7F with a predicted high today in the mid 50's and mid to upper 60's tomorrow, low to mid 70's Thursday and Friday.

My brother-in-law who lives in the country outside of Navasota (southeast of town) got down to 14.9F this morning. Navasota is about an hour and fifteen minutes northwest of Houston. I recall seeing a temp for Austin at 15F this morning.

It bottomed out very briefly at 39 around 8AM. I think we got lucky here that the coldest air of the blast came after the sunrise. Two hours earlier and it would be worse.

hit 37.5 at dawn. Forecast for 39 tonight, but a forecst high of only 50 could lead to even lower temps. This polar vortex was a scary intrusion, seemed to hit the west coast of florida pretty strongly. winds from the east means little or no gulf water influence for a warmup. Hopefully tonight wont be worse than expected...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

32.0°F at exactly 7:50 AM. Came to work late hoping for the temps to go up above 40°F but even with the sun shining hard it didn't even move a degree above 37°F.

Interesting to see all the temperatures the same +/- 1 degree everywhere from Sanford to Kissimmee this time around.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

43.7 lowest temp this morning vs. predicted low of 38/40/42 depending on forecaster. It was cloudy early this morning so I think those clouds helped brake the freefall. Forecasters had predicted clouds would dissipate overnight. Fortunately, they were wrong. I'm relieved. Tonight's low has been raised to 44F.

The sun is out but current temp is only 47.3 and may not reach predicted high of 54.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Currently only 44.8F at 345pm. High reached 45.2F. That is it. There is overcast skies now, so perhaps the clouds will hold temps up? It was sunny for a few hours this morning but temps were not going up. The wind is still blowing, not as hard as last night, but enough to create a nasty chill. One more night. One of the coldest days in my 25 years here. Not quite the freeze of 1989, or a few of the days during the brutal winter a few years go, but damn cold for 28S. :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

That's weird......my highs only got to around 35 but now they are only calling for 28 for lows tonight. Maybe it will be better tonight than originally forcasted........here's hoping anyway.

That's weird......my highs only got to around 35 but now they are only calling for 28 for lows tonight. Maybe it will be better tonight than originally forcasted........here's hoping anyway.

They just moved us down again, to a low of 25 tonight. Lowered the high for tomorrow as well.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Where I'm at in Jax had 25 for low, 40 high today. Not as bad as forecasted. Partly cloudy tonight, forecast shows 26 with 12+ hrs expected hard freeze. Looks like the panhandle took the blunt of this artic blast.

Here at 9pm already down to 39.4F. Cloud cover seems to have eroded - not good! What a brutally cold day. High of 45F. My only saving grace might be the cloud cover I see out in the Gulf, and/or a wind change. I can only wait until Wed afternoon...60F will feel down right balmy! :floor:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

they called for a low of 39F, its already 40.5F at 9pm and dewpoint is 22F so it could drop a lot more. I know better than to trust the weather forecast....

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

they called for a low of 39F, its already 40.5F at 9pm and dewpoint is 22F so it could drop a lot more. I know better than to trust the weather forecast....

Tom we are actually getting very lucky tonight. The radiational cooling is kicking in and normally on a night like this we would get down to the upper 20 by dawn. However the wind direction switched and it's now coming from the NE and right after the midnight it's going to start bringing warm moist Atlantic air into our area. So the low is going to bottom out some time between 12-2AM and then it's going to start getting warmer. We are expected to be in the high 40's by sunrise.

29 at 10pm.........seams downright warm compared to last night, not much wind, might get some help from the Gulf tonight. It would be nice if this 2 day event is our 1st and last freeze event of the year....but we still have 7 weeks to go till relatively slim chances of a freeze.

It was bizarre.... can you believe that this crazy cold was our first freeze of the season. I had watermelons growing, plumeria in leaf and hibiscus blooming. The weather up here is schizoid :badday: .

29 at 10pm.........seams downright warm compared to last night, not much wind, might get some help from the Gulf tonight. It would be nice if this 2 day event is our 1st and last freeze event of the year....but we still have 7 weeks to go till relatively slim chances of a freeze.

It was bizarre.... can you believe that this crazy cold was our first freeze of the season. I had watermelons growing, plumeria in leaf and hibiscus blooming. The weather up here is schizoid :badday: .

27 at home. you got a 2 degree hedge on me.

At 11PM, why does this not give me comfort?

Right now 26°F
Tonight's low 25°

Right now 26°F
Tonight's low 25°

The airflow is supposed to change according the NWS, so the all time low for the night is supposed to be reached shortly after midnight. After that it is supposed to hold steady and moderate. It's already happening to the West of you, I guess your low will be dictated by how soon the moderating pattern reaches your area. You'll probably bottom out around 24F. Nostradamus has spoken. :)

Right now 26°F
Tonight's low 25°

The airflow is supposed to change according the NWS, so the all time low for the night is supposed to be reached shortly after midnight. After that it is supposed to hold steady and moderate. It's already happening to the West of you, I guess your low will be dictated by how soon the moderating pattern reaches your area. You'll probably bottom out around 24F. Nostradamus has spoken. :)

:floor:

I'm reading your posts now for the first time and can really feel for all of you having been thru the arctic chill in December here in California where my low was 23 (only we had many nights and hours below freezing, felt like it would never end). Like some comments posted, a number of our landscaping plants were in bloom too, the Canna intrigue for example looked so great. First year with a fully landscaped and planned yard (our choice not developers). It really is kind of gut wrenching being inside and watching the temps keep going down until you can give in to what will be, will be.

Our palms were fine (already a subscriber to the "Keith Principle") and while I said we wouldn't plant higher than our zone less one-half, couldn't pass up things like Strelitzia reginae, leucadendrons, canna, SunPatiens to add to the tropical feel of the palms. The frost blankets and c9s where used did really save a lot, so be hopeful for what you were able to cover. Being a first timer I really wasn't sure what the result would be especially after so many nights.

Our daytime temps have been in the 50s-60s (even some low 70s during the day, lows still in the mid 30-40s) since the big freeze and I have to say seeing all the new growth at the base of the canna is great. The birds that were covered are still in bloom and I think they actually loved it under the frost cloth (used DeWitts N-Sulate med. white which let in more light and kept it on for maybe two weeks on the birds, philodendon just recently uncovered). Even the birds that lost their frost covering in the wind and were exposed have nice new growth near the bases, except for maybe one plant. I know you guys are wondering what things will look like in a few days. Hope it's not as bad as you might be thinking. Look forward to hearing your after freeze reports.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

After a Cold afternoon, and getting a little nervous when temps rapidly dropped to 40F around 8pm, glad to see an area of clouds id been watching moving north on the Rainbow IR imagery finally settling in over the area. Dew points are on the rise and while still cold out, there has been a subtle increase of moisture, and lessening "chill" over the last 3 hours or so. Winds, which had subsided earlier, are also up and continuing to veer east through the night.

Noticed some light wind burn on a couple Surinam Cherries and a couple other things that had pushed a lot of tender growth today but that was it. Back to the 80's by Friday or Sat with some possible T-storms sometime on Saturday.

Interestingly, one of the weather guys on the news this evening was saying we might see another possible round of cold around the 17th. 00z run of the models suggest a quick swipe but it doesn't look all that bad. As always when it comes to the forecasts, we'll see how it evolves. Hoping it fades out in future runs.

Looking at the bright side of a cold Tuesday afternoon, all this dry air made the sky look incredible. Missed a chance at some nice, mid winter cloud shots this morning though. Regardless, nice to see twilight lingering until after 6:30 now.

-Nathan-

Just got up to let the dogs out and it's 45 degrees at 4:17 a.m. Temps have risen 2-3 degrees from much early last night. I guess the polar vortex is receding now. Good riddance!

Mad about palms

Walt, same kind of 'warm up' here. This morning at 2:30, I woke up to 42. Now at 5am, it is 51. Weird, and I like it!

Shirleypt.png

Wind switched. 35.8F at 2am, 38.1F at 6am. No freeze at all, but mighty cold. Overcast conditions with light breaks. Not too bad. I would imagine little to zero damage but for perhaps wind burn in the yard. Even Heliconia should have come thru in good shape (once it warms). :yay:

Axel.............24 looks to be my low............we're not worthy.....we're not worthy..........insert pic of Wayne and Garth with Alice here.

Walt, same kind of 'warm up' here. This morning at 2:30, I woke up to 42. Now at 5am, it is 51. Weird, and I like it!

Shirley: You are getting the warmer air off the Atlantic now, starting to pull up your temperatures. It's 50 degrees here now at 8:46 a.m., with some light rain (very light) and totally overcast. Time for me now to put the wife's plants from the Florida room back on the lanai.

Mad about palms

Just amazing, now 57.

Shirleypt.png