IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

About to get pimp-slapped.

buffy

I finally added a profile picture to my account. It is what my Robusta looked like before it got "pimp slapped"

Washingtonia Robusta before the cold

post-5544-0-50088800-1389241439_thumb.jp

After a night at 24F Notice cover around trunk. I had planned to build a box around the palm in the event of a cold snap. I was not able to get the needed supplies in time. That is what the wood posts are for.

post-5544-0-47286100-1389241458_thumb.jp

This is before I added a sheet to the top of the palm.

post-5544-0-10718200-1389241582_thumb.jp

Sheet fell off during the first night due to wind. Trunk looks fine though and should recover by June.

post-5544-0-92285000-1389241609_thumb.jp

Ouch. That is pretty fried. Mine looks like a bronze tree now. I think the shortest one has frozen all the way down into the crown, this one was stunted from neglect at the nursery (discount $). I have a feeling it won't come back but I'll leave it and see what happens. My queen is freeze dried at the tips but I think it pulled through.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again in Ga. Tomorrow high is 33 with a low of 12 and wind chills in the single digits again. I'm tired of all this cold and I know my palms are too. Just noticed the other day my windmill coughed up its spear. Not sure if it was the quick temp drop that did it or all the rain we have had. My guess is both had even roles. Washingtonia palms are doing fine minus the existing damage the spears are holding strong. I'm ready for a vacation to Florida yesterday. I know it's a little cold there too but it's better than it is here. LoL. Good luck to anyone getting hit again by pimp-slap round 2.

Here and around Dallas I have noticed most of the Washingtonias (filiferas) are most def. all burnt up. But I've not seen any damaged windmills or Butias, much less trachycarpus or Mediter. fan. It only was a low of 19 so far, and the postThanksgiving blast where it stayed below freezing for two almost 3 days did the most damage. I was relieved to see the giant Jubaea downtown seems to be alright, which is amazing. Sabals are all fine, except for my baby bermudana I forgot to cover and it got some burn. It's so slow growing that I'll be having to look at that leaf for long time! We're due for another arctic visit tonight through the beginning of the weekend. Luckily, as other of these events have been this season, the bulk of the cold is moving East. Definitely having a winter out that way. But aren't all these temps. typical for our perspective zones? I mean, 19 is barely a zone 8, and the supposedly record cold up North is really within the range of expected lows. Some of it is even actually warmer than the zone would call for!

You sure it isn't the W. robusta's that are all burnt up? Filifera's shouldn't be touched at all at 19 degrees.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

My filifera showed very little to no damage at 20. But my filibustas and robustas took it on the chin.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I picked a helluva year to start growing palms. I all of a sudden have this irrational hate for Canada and it's sending arctic freezes to the deep south.

Wow GA Palm Guy, here I am feeling sorry for myself that our temps here in Seattle got down into the teens a couple nights earlier this Winter. I'm surprised at those lows you're reporting that far south and even in Florida. I guess we're pretty mild considering our latitude in Seattle is North of the tip of Maine (for comparison's sake, we would be in Canada if on the East Coast). Our current lows have been in the 40s and highs in the mid 50s. Lots of wet and fog though this Winter. My windmills (trachycarpus fortunei) are a couple years old and seem to be bulletproof, so I'm very surprised that you had a spear pull on yours at 12F. Those babies should be able to take 5F and lots of wet (it rains 150-200 days a year here and we have 30-year specimens growing all over the place in Seattle). Maybe your summers are too hot for Windmills and that takes a toll on them, I dunno. My 8 year old Butia has taken tons of wet, fog, and temps below freezing this Winter without any visible damage of any kind. I have 4 Med. fan palms and 3 look pretty good but 1 of them has fuzz (I'm assuming mold) growing on the new spears. Not sure what to do about that or if there is anything I can do to save those. Best of luck and hopefully the coldest temps for the year are behind us.

Wow GA Palm Guy, here I am feeling sorry for myself that our temps here in Seattle got down into the teens a couple nights earlier this Winter. I'm surprised at those lows you're reporting that far south and even in Florida. I guess we're pretty mild considering our latitude in Seattle is North of the tip of Maine (for comparison's sake, we would be in Canada if on the East Coast). Our current lows have been in the 40s and highs in the mid 50s. Lots of wet and fog though this Winter. My windmills (trachycarpus fortunei) are a couple years old and seem to be bulletproof, so I'm very surprised that you had a spear pull on yours at 12F. Those babies should be able to take 5F and lots of wet (it rains 150-200 days a year here and we have 30-year specimens growing all over the place in Seattle). Maybe your summers are too hot for Windmills and that takes a toll on them, I dunno. My 8 year old Butia has taken tons of wet, fog, and temps below freezing this Winter without any visible damage of any kind. I have 4 Med. fan palms and 3 look pretty good but 1 of them has fuzz (I'm assuming mold) growing on the new spears. Not sure what to do about that or if there is anything I can do to save those. Best of luck and hopefully the coldest temps for the year are behind us.

Try hydrogen peroxide.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg's peroxide advice is sound. An addition factor here is constant rains countering the effect of the peroxide. If it is something special, I would definitely use the peroxide, but also a copper topical, and systemic.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You East Coast folks are really suffering. I have another mid-teens night coming up next Tuesday. Already have everything back under blankets and heaters.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

21 tonight, 19 Wednesday night. Snow Tuesday and Wednesday.

My palms and I need a snuggie.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

You East Coast folks are really suffering. I have another mid-teens night coming up next Tuesday. Already have everything back under blankets and heaters.

Yeah, it wasn't even a week ago I was looking out your way at the weather and y'all were getting hammered with ice/snow sub 30 temps. Now it's our turn I guess.

21 tonight, 19 Wednesday night. Snow Tuesday and Wednesday.

My palms and I need a snuggie.

It was suppose to "only" get down to 22 tonight here. I checked my temperature gauge outside and it was at 15. Sucks. I heard that next week will bring some snow but it's not in the forecast I'm looking at. Just 20 percent chance of precipitation on that Wednesday. My palms need many years of therapy after this seemingly 3 week long cold snap.

My windmill is a mystery to me as well. It's been in the ground just over 2 years and was planted as a 3 gallon palm. It is a 7 gallon size now at the lower half of our driveway island with Sago's and Sabal Minor's opposite it which are fine. Anyone have knowledge of windmill palms recovering from spear pull?

It will probably recover....just try to keep it dry between hydrogen peroxide applications (once a week)

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

We had a wonderful night of freezing rain Thursday, had about a 1/4" on my truck Friday morning. When I got off work at 5:00 pm Friday I had to remove another 1/4" off my truck. Melting began on Saturday morning, trees in the back yard made it look as though it was raining on a clear day. I guess we'll see what makes it and what won't and start over again.

So my CIDP is looking pretty rough. Brown frizzle fronds, including the new spears (that were continuing to grow up until early December surprisingly). I've gently tugged on the middle, new fronds but they haven't pulled. Does that mean it's still alive? How long does it take till the middle frond will pull from a freeze? Any other ways of knowing this early whether my CIDP has bit the dust or not?

So my CIDP is looking pretty rough. Brown frizzle fronds, including the new spears (that were continuing to grow up until early December surprisingly). I've gently tugged on the middle, new fronds but they haven't pulled. Does that mean it's still alive? How long does it take till the middle frond will pull from a freeze? Any other ways of knowing this early whether my CIDP has bit the dust or not?

It is a tough palm and will probably recover. Even if the center new frondd pull at some point, that does not mean it is dead. Once the sun and the heat return you will know, but be prepared to wait a bit. It could be May before you know for sure. Or it could be March, lol. Once the freezes have gone, hit it with a does of fertilize. If the center fronds pull, be sure to pour come peroxide into the hole on a few occaisions until you see growth.

Sorry if I missed it, but is it in a pot or in the ground?

Thanks for the info, Keith. You're right about it being tough, I know the first few freezes in December that we had it got away nearly unscathed. Unprotected it only had burned tips from being in the mid 20's for a few nights in a row. It's in the ground, planted it sometime mid summer, last summer. About 4 feet tall by now. I'm having trouble posting some pics of it from photobucket on here but here are some of the same ones I had in a thread I made a while back: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/38337-check-out-my-palms-advice-comments-welcome/?hl=smithgn

• 11 months later...

Here we go again! Enough with the pimp slapping...Exact same day as last year, though not as bad but still a slap in the face to my palms. here is some pictures of the damage, recovery, and protection for this years pimp slap.

temps for tomorrow morning a low of 16F with wind chill around 10F. High tomorrow 35F/19F

damage from last year.

post-5544-0-16484100-1420673018_thumb.jp

after operation and pushing new growth.

post-5544-0-29231500-1420673020_thumb.jp

full recovery

post-5544-0-42822600-1420673022_thumb.jp

after one night at 19F with windchill around 15F

post-5544-0-41494200-1420673024_thumb.jp

All wrapped up with Christmas lights for warmth.

post-5544-0-24951700-1420673026_thumb.jp

Added a blanket to prevent a repeat of last years damage. I made sure to tie it up so the wind doesn't blow it off like I made the mistake of not doing last year.

post-5544-0-94313700-1420673057_thumb.jp

This wind is killer this year. Stay warm

Good job. Fortunately, or unfortunately I gave up that business. Just no time to do it anymore. Good luck.

It will survive with the lights and wrapped like that. You might have some burn marks from putting lights directly on trunk (even icicle lights) luckily Washingtonia's will grow out quickly and shouldn't affect it long term.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Man that's rough looking. I have 3 robustas that are 7 years old that have never shown cold damage and we've had low 20s. Then I have a few hundred seedlings that can't take 28... The variation in cold hardiness is broad.

It always amazes me how washingtonias grow back so quickly from (severe) damage. One of the reasons why I have a Robusta in my front yard. Currently protecting it but hopefully can fend for itself as it grows larger. Gapalmguy, the wind is killer. Not only does it fry palm fronds but it makes it a *&!@$ to apply frost cloth/protection.

After spending over an hour earlier today applying cold protection to a few palms, I'm exhausted. I can't blame you Keith for giving up something so laborious and time consuming.

Our current temperature in Nashville, TN is 6F, and the forecasted low is 4F in a few hours. Wednesday's high was 27, and we aren't forecasted to go above freezing until Sunday, making this about a 100 hour freeze event for us. Hope that makes everyone feel a little warmer, LOL! Now you know why I really like Rhapidophyllum and Sabal minor so much!

Man,

Only got down to 28F. Saw Atlanta at 7F! I hope Alex in Atlanta did not lose most of his palm collection.

Alex moved over a year ago (he's still in Atlanta though), and left behind quite a few of his palms. I think he gave up protecting most of the really marginal stuff. He moved the more valuable palms with him and still protects those.

Our current temperature in Nashville, TN is 6F, and the forecasted low is 4F in a few hours. Wednesday's high was 27, and we aren't forecasted to go above freezing until Sunday, making this about a 100 hour freeze event for us. Hope that makes everyone feel a little warmer, LOL! Now you know why I really like Rhapidophyllum and Sabal minor so much!

Man,

Only got down to 28F. Saw Atlanta at 7F! I hope Alex in Atlanta did not lose most of his palm collection.

Alex moved over a year ago (he's still in Atlanta though), and left behind quite a few of his palms. I think he gave up protecting most of the really marginal stuff. He moved the more valuable palms with him and still protects those.

This thread is Deja Vu all over again - unfortunately

Wow that is cold - I feel an Elton John song tuning up ...

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

It always amazes me how washingtonias grow back so quickly from (severe) damage. One of the reasons why I have a Robusta in my front yard. Currently protecting it but hopefully can fend for itself as it grows larger. Gapalmguy, the wind is killer. Not only does it fry palm fronds but it makes it a *&!@$ to apply frost cloth/protection.

After spending over an hour earlier today applying cold protection to a few palms, I'm exhausted. I can't blame you Keith for giving up something so laborious and time consuming.

Agreed, they do sprout at least 5 new fronds per season (up here anyways). The winds have been killer here as well, and my palm box's were ready for take-off!

Time consuming for sure and exhausting for sure, but Keith is one of the reasons I've started to do this nonsense... lol

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada