IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Content redaction as a result of ToS changes

MarkF

As the IPS is changing the ToS, there must be a means by which a user may redact or remove old content he or she does not want to fall under the new ToS. I cannot seem to find this feature. Surely we ought to be able to select which of our self generated content we are happy to surrender under the new terms and which content we choose not to, and so redact from the site. In the absence of such a feature, I think it would be acceptable to allow users to delete all their past contributions or at least sequester them until such time as a more selective approach to content publishing if offered to the membership.

Offering these kinds of features is not unusual - in fact, all of the most popular, open-source forum and social networking platforms do so already.

So, if there is no change to the ToS pending, we ought to at least be given a means of cancelling our membership and redacting all content generated prior to the ToS.

• Upvote 1

There is, although I don't remember that past post that does. Perhaps someone could make a new reference to it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

As the IPS is changing the ToS, there must be a means by which a user may redact or remove old content he or she does not want to fall under the new ToS. I cannot seem to find this feature. Surely we ought to be able to select which of our self generated content we are happy to surrender under the new terms and which content we choose not to, and so redact from the site.

Mark, in the top right corner of each page on the forum you'll see your username. Click that and then click My Settings. In the left hand column click Manage Attachments. Then you can select which photos you want to delete.

That is photos. What about posts? Is there a button to "remove it all." Erase me from PalmTalk.

I'll be honest, my first instinct is to use the nuclear option. Hit the button to remove it all, to the best of my ability. But I have learned in life to to go with my first instinct.

As I told another earlier, I have been very active on PT for the last 7 years of my life. I am probably near the Top 10 of overall most active posters, period. I have been proud of that. I have both asked for support and supported others. I have made lifetime friends here. I have traveled to meet many, and some have traveled to meet me. Today, is the most tempted I have ever been to just hit the eject button. I feel that the leadership of PT has failed me, and others, in so many ways. Just days ago, I decided at the end of the year, to take a hiatus from Facebook, which I love, too. Not because of anything like this policy, but because with my new job my available time is short, and I was thinking maybe PT was more important.

And now this. I have no idea what to think at this point. By the end of this week, I will decide on whether it is time to just pull the plug and quit beating this dead horse, or at least is seems dead at this time.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That is photos. What about posts? Is there a button to "remove it all." Erase me from PalmTalk.

No, you can't remove your posts, in their entirety, after the short 'edit' period ends.

I would respectfully ask everyone to don't do anything that can't be "undone." The new TOS are not going to "do" anything to you. There is no harm in watching and waiting. And you can always react later if you still want to. Give us a chance to listen and try to resolve your concerns.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.