IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms are cool but dont leave out the cacti/succulents/cycads and aloe.....

trioderob

and that's where living in southern cal kicks some .................

we can grow almost ANYTHING here !

Edited by trioderob

Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful, that’s what matters to me.

- Steve Jobs

• Like 1

Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful, that’s what matters to me.

- Steve Jobs

Rich guys can afford saying this sort of thing.

• Like 1

nice avatar dude.

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Edited by trioderob

What can I give Him, / Poor as I am? / If I were a shepherd / I would bring a lamb, / If I were a wise man / I would do my part, / Yet what I can I give Him, / Give my heart.huntington_desert_garden1.jpg

Edited by trioderob

Are these paintings or drawings?....definitely a different look.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Nice but where's Dino ?

The prehistoric look ain't for me. Palms,,Bamboos,,Crotons,,Bromeiads and a sprinkling of Orchids.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Thanks for posting these Rob...the quotes too. I love the look. I've carved out a small strip in my back yard for just such a garden look. But I was only allowed a small area.

The rest of the place is for palms, broms and other tropical plants.

Sure wish I had just a little more space for more succulents

Got to have some setting on the camera or photoshopped maybe....watercolor setting?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Could be an HDR setting, or just a little digital processing. So many tools now, so much fun. But the line between art

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What can I give Him, / Poor as I am? / If I were a shepherd / I would bring a lamb, / If I were a wise man / I would do my part, / Yet what I can I give Him, / Give my heart.huntington_desert_garden1.jpg

If anyone can tell me how to get my backyard to look like this I’ll give them a million dollars or million seeds! Love the lotus land look. Cheers!

Edited by Palm crazy

• 5 years later...
On 12/20/2013 at 11:55 AM, trioderob said:

if you want the killer "Lotusland" look - dont leave out the other goodies !

130403_Lotusland_Aloe-Garden_PM_292.jpg

I agree wholeheartedly!  Doing my best in small spaces.  Spring is a great time with the Aloes adding their bright colors!

20190415-104A2973.jpg

20190415-104A2974.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

21 hours ago, Tracy said:

I agree wholeheartedly!  Doing my best in small spaces.  Spring is a great time with the Aloes adding their bright colors!

20190415-104A2973.jpg

20190415-104A2974.jpg

what a kick ass Aloidendron "Hercules"! I have a very young one in my yard. 

I have Aloidendron tongaense

20190416_184648.thumb.jpg.5b6b3d6eab170b67ae374c75eaf20902.jpg

• Like 1

A young Aloidendron Hercules

20190416_184030.thumb.jpg.cc4b4c86a2413795f34418024d3bbe8e.jpg

Aloe elgonica

20190416_184921.thumb.jpg.f9e79ac97d993daebccfe23e2d93e743.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

young Aloidendron Hercules

20190416_184030.thumb.jpg.cc4b4c86a2413795f34418024d3bbe8e.jpg

Give it room and watch it boom!  Mine was planted from a stout 1 gallon in late 2010 for perspective.  My experience for the first 6-7 years was a doubling of mass (not necessarily height), every year.  

On a different species but still in the Aloidendron family, next Autumn I will be planting my Aloidendron pillansii in the garden.  I'll leave it in a pot over summer and plant it at the beginning of it's growing season.

20190415-104A2936.jpg

• Like 2

Josue, you should try one of your A. striata in deep shade.  They look very interesting when etiolated.  Kind of octopus like.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

13 hours ago, Tracy said:

Give it room and watch it boom!  Mine was planted from a stout 1 gallon in late 2010 for perspective.  My experience for the first 6-7 years was a doubling of mass (not necessarily height), every year.  

On a different species but still in the Aloidendron family, next Autumn I will be planting my Aloidendron pillansii in the garden.  I'll leave it in a pot over summer and plant it at the beginning of it's growing season.

20190415-104A2936.jpg

Agree w/ Tracy,  the one i stuck out front has barely moved height-wise but is stretchin' out.. Might throw a little extra water on it this year vs last year to see if it speeds up a tad more, and see if it helps w / the sun tanning the tops of the leaves had last year also.       

Thats a real' nice pillansi btw..  Assuming it came from George?

10 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Thats a real' nice pillansi btw..  Assuming it came from George?

:greenthumb:

Pretty cool stuff you people......   Wish I could grow this stuff in the ground like that. (sigh)  Mother nature say NO!

I’ve been looking for an Aloidendron Pillansii. Did you purchase it from a member on here? Is he available to contact? Thanks.

-Daniel

Edited by Meangreen94z

On 4/18/2019 at 10:51 PM, Meangreen94z said:

I’ve been looking for an Aloidendron Pillansii. Did you purchase it from a member on here? Is he available to contact? Thanks.

-Daniel

Hi Daniel.  yes, the Aloidendron pillansii came from George Sparkman who is a member here.  He normally posts a link to his monthly updated availability list in the for sale segment or you can go straight there with the link:  http://cycads-n-palms.com/ 

On 4/19/2019 at 2:43 PM, iwan said:

Nice, clean landscape Tracy.

Thank you!

I have 1 large planter in my rooftop garden dedicated to succulents and cacti, though there are many many many others interspersed throughout the garden as I tend to love having them growing as a ground cover under the palms and cycads.

CactusIntegration.jpg.ba384b933e67c8443b177a94989b4b7e.jpg

Richard

• 11 months later...
On 12/21/2013 at 9:12 AM, waykoolplantz said:

Nice but where's Dino ?

The prehistoric look ain't for me. Palms,,Bamboos,,Crotons,,Bromeiads and a sprinkling of Orchids.

Due to our limited rainfall, we end up substituting some more drought tolerant items, hence the succulents, Aloes, Aloidendron and the Cycads.  Crotons can survive here but are a bit more challenging; my personal experience is that they may do well for a couple of years and then suddenly decline in my garden.  Would love to grow more of them, but if challenged one substitutes.  Bottom line, its nice to mix textures and colors as you have described.  We all just have to adjust the formula for our local conditions.

20200407-104A6192.jpg

• Like 2