IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some pics of me and my two boys

Mandrew968

I was recently asked to put up some photos of my two boys--never been asked that on Palmtalk and I was flattered to say the least! So I went searching through my old emails and this is a few of what I found. :)

First up is Jansin and me next to some of our favorite Copernicias(we call them muscle palms, in a deep voice and we always grab our biceps when we mention them) at Fairchild.

post-5491-0-84501200-1387463957_thumb.jp

Next is me and Jansin next to the palms that his mother and I got married under. :) Is there a more impressive palm for South Florida? Jansin says, heck no! :)

post-5491-0-25273500-1387464127_thumb.jp

Next is Jansin holding up an old inflorescence of what is labeled as a Dypsis lanceolata(the palm in the background), but he thinks the flower structure is too big for a pure lanceolata...

post-5491-0-68461300-1387464376_thumb.jp

And this is my youngest son, Drake (14 months). These were taken by our friend, Lou, at the last SFPS garden tour. Jansin sat this garden out, opting to go shopping with Grandma instead.

post-5491-0-82431400-1387465136_thumb.jp

Thanks for sharing such fine moments of you and your family with all of us here in palmtalk.

wish you and your family a merry Christmas and a happy newyear.

God bless,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Andrew, those are some beautiful kids! There's no substitute for being a dad, especially when they're this age.

Merry xmas/happy holidays, and happy new year!

Here's my little boy rolicking amongst a grove of rhopies.

DSCN0101_zps20096a04.jpg

NIce!!! Thanks for the kind responses and I wish you both a wonderful Christmas as well. Axel, what's you boy's name? Love that hair! I have a tow head too :)

Andrew,

Great pictures and there seems to be palms in every picture! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

It's fun watching them grow side by side -- kids and palms! Several PalmTalkers have shown their offspring next to a favorite palm over a period of years, and it's a wonderful way to share the changes in both.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

NIce!!! Thanks for the kind responses and I wish you both a wonderful Christmas as well. Axel, what's you boy's name? Love that hair! I have a tow head too :)

His name is Lucas, he's a total tow head, that's for sure.

I hope you get as much enjoyment as I did being a dad. And as I have told several other palm fathers, don't give up hoping they might share your passion for growing things until their 30th birthday at the earliest. It has to be their own idea, you know. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Andrew, those are some beautiful kids! There's no substitute for being a dad, especially when they're this age.

Merry xmas/happy holidays, and happy new year!

Here's my little boy rolicking amongst a grove of rhopies.

DSCN0101_zps20096a04.jpg

Wonderful kids, I have 3 good times and not so good times over the years. 26, 23 and 23. The 26 year old has my passion for growing things :rolleyes: , the twins not so much but seems to have a mild interest. I quoted this page because those palms ( yes the kids wonderful) We can't grow them round here, and they are amazing. Kids you can grow anywhere lol.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Thank you, Andrew. Mike and I really enjoyed the photos of your sons and the palms. Both of your boys are adorable and we can tell they are 'all boy'. You and Tiff must get a lot of joy out of being their parents.

Mike and Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Thank you everyone for the kind remarks. Being a Dad has changed me for the best(not my words). There is nothing I care about more nor is there anything that gives me as much joy.

Dean, Jansin has a big interest in palms( he can spot Pritchardia, Copernicia, Coccothrinax and Aiphanes. He knows Dypsis and Thrinax because I planted them at his daycare and we see them everyday) but I also understand he must develop his own interests and I fully support those--his biggest so far seems to be heavy machinery. He knows all the names of all the construction machines( he has gotten me to learn them too). His second favorite thing to do is play with his garden tools :) Everyday I pick him up from daycare, he mentions we have to mow the lawn and he gets to weed eat and use the edger! When he gets up on the weekends and me and mom are still half dressed, drinking our coffee, he wants to go outside and dig! He also loves planting palms with me. Drake watches his brother and has come up on childhood milestones even faster than his brother did! I guess it's easier to learn watching your older brother, than it is watching Dad :) I consider myself very lucky and fortunate! Thanks Palmtalk, for letting me share some of my joy!

Great photos of the boys, Andrew. Fortunately for them, they look like their mom! :rolleyes:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

• 4 months later...

Tiff and I took the boys to see their great grandmother. Naturally grandmothers have cookies :)

post-5491-0-81522500-1398868033_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-44679100-1398868064_thumb.jp

Drake loves the water so much more than his older brother and Papa doesn't mind taking him for a swim. :)

post-5491-0-95197400-1398869496_thumb.jp

And yesterday, Jansin and I took a day off to dig some holes. My boy is the best helper. Can't believe he's not even 4 yet!

post-5491-0-97143300-1398869677_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-72038500-1398869919_thumb.jp

I forgot to mention his biggest passion--BASKETBALL! and he didn't get it from me! I love the Heat, but Basketball is not my game. Jansin, on the other hand is a natural. I have never taught him any tips as I don't know any, other than the basic rules of the game. He knows all the players by their name and numbers(I don't even know all of their numbers!) on the Heat. Full size ball and a little over 8' high, this 3 year old has no problems! He rattled off 7 in a row, yesterday :)

post-5491-0-29749400-1398872693_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-70640600-1398872711_thumb.jp

I gotta get me some of those green garden boots! :) Cute kids, fun photos. I see a few palmlets by the pool! :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I gotta get me some of those green garden boots! :) Cute kids, fun photos. I see a few palmlets by the pool! :)

Thanks, Kim. The palmlets are various Coccothrinax(havanensis, azul, macroglossa, borhidiana, crinita and ekmanii). The ones on the top of the old coke cooler are local seed of Pritchardia thurstonii--something to be proud of with out history of Lethal Yellowing...

More pics of the little ones as they grow and aren't so little any more . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Cutest palm accessories ever! lol. :wub2:

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Andrew, those are some cute kids. Our son Lucas now has a brother, our second son Logan was born a little over three weeks ago.

Lucas helped me plant my brahea grotto.

20140427_102923_zpskyakkdwd.jpg

Axel, I am so happy for you!!! we both have two boys--killer!!!

• 11 months later...

Time for some proud updates!

Here are my two cool cats at Black Point Marina--just after this we went to the police officer on duty and pointed out a littering person that hopefully got tasered...

post-5491-0-21533400-1429014879_thumb.jp

The Zoo is one of my boy's favorite places and Drake loves camels for some reason--don't look at me...

post-5491-0-00153200-1429014991_thumb.jp

One great thing about the Zoo is they have mini water parks for the kids and my boys love it--Jansin posing for the camera.

post-5491-0-61149400-1429015111_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-02653500-1429015123_thumb.jp

Jansin is 4 years old now and we decided to get him into t-ball. Well, now all he does is want to play it! Here he is posing next to a ball he hit hard enough to stick into the fence at the school we practice at, after hours. He is a real slugger! Again, don't look at me...

post-5491-0-19919800-1429015316_thumb.jp

A few weeks ago, Me and my oldest took our bikes out of the city and rode about 4 miles out to the coast. We love exploring and seeing wildlife; I told him not to venture too far into the waters... While up in this tree he eagerly maintained he was 'safe'.

post-5491-0-73341600-1429015585_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-91629800-1429015594_thumb.jp