IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaeopsis Caffra in freezing Los Gatos

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

I am gonna grow cogshell mango in a large pot starting this year. I'm gonna put it in the garage with my key lime and avocado for frosts/ freezes. My Jubaeopsis is alive with 50-60% burn. I cover it with a thermal sock for freezes and frosts.

I will take some pictures of the pineapple guava that I have growing in Bonifay, Florida. Zone 8b .... it got severely tested up there this year. They survived 2010 and 2011 with no problems. Never had fruit on them.

Keep us apprised of J. caffra ...still think there have been too few tested in our region to make broad assumptions about them.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hi Steve, you are absolutely right Savannah is a pretty city with a great deal of charm and personality that all its own. Victory Drive with its row of ancient Sabal Palmetto, River Street, and all the charm or the Victorian District. You can start at the Savannah River and see how the city grew and expanded inland and how the architecture changed. It is a cool place to go on a palm hunt as well, there are some really old CIDP there and the very first adult Butia Yatay that I ever saw is downtown. Looking on the map I know it doesn't make sense in some respect, but you are absolutely right there is a cold trough and Gainsville Florida is as cold as or sometimes colder than Southeastern Georgia. Our highs on the coast for this week are in the upper sixties and seventies and nothing lower than 42. A friend of mine played on the golf team for FSU and honestly when I would leave my house in the morning to visit him I would be wearing short sleeves but when I arrived in Tallahassee at lunch I would require a jacket. I saw the same trend when I would travel down to the Gator Bowl. Tallahassee has to be in one of the coldest sections of Florida. I would often base my palm experiments upon what had already survived in both Tallahassee and Gainesville. The sea islands always stay pretty warm and pleasant; I have seen a Dypsis Decaryi seemingly surviving just fine on Jekyll Island. It was a real shocker for me, many sources have traditionally listed it as a zone 10 palm though I know of folks with them in 9b. Lots of people buy Ravena Rivularis here form chain store and leave them in large planters on their patios and they surprisingly survive. They do not care for frost at all though. I protect mine every time it drops below 32. It is really amazing at what a difference the Gulf Stream makes and the Atlantic, look for what it does for our friends in the UK.

Wow, a dypsis on Jekyll Island! I wonder if they could also grow Archontophoenix? That would really add a tropical look!

How far offshore is the Gulf Stream in Southeast Georgia? It's only a couple miles offshore where I'm from in South Florida and it does make a huge difference, not only in winter but summer as well. The Gulf beaches due west of us are in the upper 90s in the summer with water in the 90s as well, while we rarely get above 91 and our water stays in the mid 80s letting you "cool" off some when its time for a swim.

I am going to make an attempt at growing pineapple guava this year. My seedlings should be about ready to plant out; they are suppose to be good for the lower southeast and gulf. That Jelly looks delicious, I know my daughter would love it for sure. She loves guava and mango. Unfortunately I have not found a variety of mango that I think would survive here long enough to fruit. I might be wrong however and will keep searching. Doc let me know how your jubaeopsis far.

There's a huge Pineapple Guava at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and the garden folks there recommend it as a fairly low maintenance ornamental here so it should do fantastic for you! There was an entire hedge of fruiting pineapple guavas near my old dorm at UF, kept the squirrels well fed!

I will most definitely be planting them then. Guava are delicious and very good for you as well; I might try a mango in a planter and then just whether in the greenhouse like I do my key lime tree. Next time I am in Atlanta I might try to check out the Pineapple Guava there that is super cool.