IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

hyphane coriacea

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

I have two hyphane coriacea that sailed through the freeze, but they stopped growing last October, going dormant. New spear emerging on both, but moving super, super slow. Does anyone else have experience with hyphane in cooler climates? They really seem to be loving our drought. Am I looking at suspended animation until April?

A pictures worth a thousand words...

Have they been in the ground a few years already?

Atleast two feet tall?

Or are these freshly planted aswell?

-Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

One is older and two feet tall, two branches, the other is freshly planted seedling. The seedling is actually growing a bit faster. Not sure they're both the same species.

older plant:

20131218_151517_zpsd3366b8b.jpg

Closeup of the spear on the lower branch, this spear hasn't moved since about the end of October.

20131218_151538_zps1b8aca47.jpg

Seedling, steadily pushing up new leaf, seems to have more silver.

20131218_151546_zpsda23ca1b.jpg

Hyphaene do not grow in the cold, not at all. These are heat loving palms. Best I've seen were grown in Arizona. I had two small ones, they didn't budge in winter. Do not water in winter....

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Hyphaene coriacea almost 100% burn every year, but comes back strong in my heat. Only one year with a low of 31F and no damage.

Here she is, as of today, barely recovered from last years 25F

IMG_20131218_165333_zps3f90fyso.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Hyphaene do not grow in the cold, not at all. These are heat loving palms. Best I've seen were grown in Arizona. I had two small ones, they didn't budge in winter. Do not water in winter....

Yes, sure seems that way. In suspended animation, will probably get 4 months of growth a year only. They're not getting any water now, I've removed the dripper and they're in the rain shadow on my property. It's bone dry up there, i actually worry it's too dry this year given the drought we're having.

Yes, sure seems that way. In suspended animation, will probably get 4 months of growth a year only. They're not getting any water now, I've removed the dripper and they're in the rain shadow on my property. It's bone dry up there, i actually worry it's too dry this year given the drought we're having.

Rod Anderson in phx had several gorgeous hyphaene coricea, thabiaca, petersoniana, up to 10-15' tall some with multi trunks. He said he shut the water off entirely in winter. I think phoenix is more dry in winter than santa cruz. they like water in the heat, but don't want any in the cool if possible. I disconnected my seedlings from drip line in winter, they did fine. If I recall correctly he said bud/root rot was the issue in winter. His survived 23F in 2007, but one or two died of bud rot in a wet winter event that was warmer. And yes in 2007 they completely defoliated at 23F, but came back strong the following summer when I viewed them.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Rod Anderson in phx had several gorgeous hyphaene coricea, thabiaca, petersoniana, up to 10-15' tall some with multi trunks. He said he shut the water off entirely in winter. I think phoenix is more dry in winter than santa cruz. they like water in the heat, but don't want any in the cool if possible. I disconnected my seedlings from drip line in winter, they did fine. If I recall correctly he said bud/root rot was the issue in winter. His survived 23F in 2007, but one or two died of bud rot in a wet winter event that was warmer. And yes in 2007 they completely defoliated at 23F, but came back strong the following summer when I viewed them.

Tom, these are a long shot, they are not palms that would normally grow in Coastal Central California. However, I have a spot on the top of my hillside below my neighbor's driveway where three factors contribute to relatively dry conditions:

• the driveway and the associated retaining wall prevent any water from flowing into the area
  • the hill is Northwest facing with the neighbor's house to the south and several trees making a rain shadow
  • the soil is sand, drains instantly.

Add to the fact that it's at the top of the hill where there is good frost drainage. It gets hot up there in the Summer, so they can squeeze out some decent growth between April and October, about 6-7 months worth of slow growth in the cooler coastal conditions. Because of the coastal conditions, I can't afford any freeze damage as it would take too long to grow out of it. I am far enough from the ocean to get just enough heat for them to barely sqeek by. If I was further inland and up another 500 feet these things would be weeds.

Matt, good seeing you back here. Time for a garden update :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I thought about growing hyphaene, gut feeling is our summers are warm enough, but the chilly winters I think will rot them.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Tom, these are a long shot, they are not palms that would normally grow in Coastal Central California. However, I have a spot on the top of my hillside below my neighbor's driveway where three factors contribute to relatively dry conditions:

• the driveway and the associated retaining wall prevent any water from flowing into the area
  • the hill is Northwest facing with the neighbor's house to the south and several trees making a rain shadow
  • the soil is sand, drains instantly.

Add to the fact that it's at the top of the hill where there is good frost drainage. It gets hot up there in the Summer, so they can squeeze out some decent growth between April and October, about 6-7 months worth of slow growth in the cooler coastal conditions. Because of the coastal conditions, I can't afford any freeze damage as it would take too long to grow out of it. I am far enough from the ocean to get just enough heat for them to barely sqeek by. If I was further inland and up another 500 feet these things would be weeds.

I almost succeeded with a H. coriacea over a decade ago. Reasons for final failure were the lack of adequate depth for the roots (in fact it has proved that the pit I had then prepared was only a cavity on hollowed solid rock) and most important it had been covered with snow during the frost of doom in 2004. My humble opinion about desert palms is that in a temperate zone they will not promote any growth anyway during winter. So it is pointless to provide them a sheltered location, instead latter can be a trap for them during rainy cool weather as wind is blocked to a certain extent and so the vital aeration they need. Of course this is only a theory, it remains to be verified in next summer! Here' s my Medemia spending outplanted its first winter. I have chosen the wind exposed top of the hill as its permanent location and every time after cold dry northern wind looks perfectly silver. Of course I have also suspended irrigation since over a month ago.

post-6141-0-54845900-1387436479_thumb.jp

Edited by Phoenikakias

Thanks Len, feeling refreshed. I'll get on it.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Thanks Len, feeling refreshed. I'll get on it.

I would love to see a garen update from you, you grow a lot of things that are cold hardy and would be very relevant to us folks in the parts of the State that are just too darn close to the North pole.

I had a really nice plant that survived two freezes (26F and 24F)- (completely defoliated both times, with the spike even pulling out the first time). But recovered quickly recovered.... until we tried to dig it up to move it... that did it in. Here is a shot of it before digging

post-426-0-61925100-1387476418_thumb.jpg

I had a really nice plant that survived two freezes (26F and 24F)- (completely defoliated both times, with the spike even pulling out the first time). But recovered quickly recovered.... until we tried to dig it up to move it... that did it in. Here is a shot of it before digging

Geoff, what a beauty, I am so sorry you had to loose that. Seems the consensus is this palm tolerates the defoliation if there is enough heat to make it grow back. Sounds like that would qualify as cold hardiness to me. It's almost like a deciduous palm. :)

It will never be enough to emphasize that roots of desert palms are highly sensitive, either to mechanical damage or to boiling in the sun. I have insulated external side of a pot containing a Medemia, which used to woble, despite that the plant had never been exposed directly to sun, it has spent its entire life only inside a cold frame with polycarbonic pannels that diffuse sun light. Nevertheless results only within one year have been quite positive and with this tempo next summer they will be predictably spectacular. Then I will post also pictures with the link to an old post of mine for comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

R.I.P. hyphaene coriacea, I came back from Socal and this thing was completely dried up. No idea what happened, but my guess is that it's a no go on coriacea in our cool climate. After experiencing the Winter heat in Southern California, it's pretty obvious to me that these things are a no go North of Point Conception where they don't get enough Santa Ana conditions to keep them alive in the Winter. Oh well, can't say I am surprised, now I've got room for something that will actually grow here. Funny thing is the small seedling is still alive, I am not sure if it's the same species.

20131229_124625_zpsyvpdfwir.jpg

20131229_124615_zpszec9lxsk.jpg

Small seedling, looks ok. Probably not coriacea.

20131229_124707_zpsiwdqydy3.jpg

Don't give up on them yet, mine have looked like that many a winter, only to come back with a vengeance come summer. Pour some H.P. on the crown, and wait.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Don't give up on them yet, mine have looked like that many a winter, only to come back with a vengeance come summer. Pour some H.P. on the crown, and wait.

If I had the Summer heat I would keep mine. But if a little Winter chill does this to them it's not worth it for me to grow it, I'd rather invest my energy into a nannarops.

If I had the Summer heat I would keep mine. But if a little Winter chill does this to them it's not worth it for me to grow it, I'd rather invest my energy into a nannarops.