IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

parajubaea sunkha

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

5 days of freezing temps, one day all the way to 26.6F, several leaves on a 15 gallon double got 30% burn damage. This specimen was 10 feet away from a copernicia alba that was untouched by the cold. This palm isn't very hardy as a seedling. The reports that this palm is hardy to 20F cannot be right. People are probably protecting their palms through their freezes. My p. cocoides seedlings have fared much better.

20131215_142319_zps51f70aa5.jpg

20131215_142316_zpsd5e094d6.jpg20131215_142309_zpscaec2e97.jpg

Perhaps it was a mismarked p. cocoides?

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Since it's in a pot how long has it been grown unprotected? My sunkha saw 26 last year with 7 days in a row under 32 with no damage at all. Mine is in the ground so maybe that is part of the issue. Also a strap leaf has more surface area than a pinniate leaf and maybe that is also an issue.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

That was the only PJ I had trouble with. PJ TT was great. It almost made it, except for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not cold

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It's a double sunkha, not a cocoides. Who knows why it fried. All i know is it got damaged, could be lack of acclimatization.

Thanks for starting a thread here, Axel. We have been talking about it for many years but it's been lumped in the Parajubaea thread as well as many other places. When I get home I'll post some pictures and share some info.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3108-parajubaea/

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Thanks for starting this- I have been growing a few plants of this species for many years. I have had much different results though.

Recently we experienced 10 days in the 20's:

IMG_1083_zpseeec96a9.png

No damage

DSC_1086_zpseac53ffe.jpg

This first plant has been through many 25F-32F degree nights over the last 5 or 6 years. It has never suffered any visible damage.

IMG_0410_zps819ad602.jpg

I have been so impressed with this that I wanted to test its resilience. I planted another in the least desirable position on my entire lot- an open position facing an open street facing due north- it is always frozen up there. It has never shown freeze damage although it does show some basketball damage. Heat- relentless 100F days, dry, perpetuated by extreme temperatures rising from asphalt. Picture taken today (see above temperatures.)

DSC_1088_zps964eacc9.jpg

This palm didnt like having a block of ice that collected and froze in the mouth of the growing spear last year and did cause damage- but pushed right out of it in the Spring.

DSC_1082_zpsdf417917.jpg

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

This is great news, hopefully mine will become hardier as it gets older. Why aren't any of these reports in the hardiness reports?

A big difference could be that it is in the ground. I had 2 large Bismarkia bought at the same time. 1 I left in the nursery pot in a sheltered carport with blankets during a upper 20's freeze, the other was planted exposed to the sky. The protected one in the pot died deader than a door nail shortly after the freeze. The exposed planted one is a beautiful specimen...probably the nicest one growing in Panama City. I will never leave large potted, marginal plants out to get their roots froze again.

Root/pot or in-ground should be required information for any cold hardy test considerations....as well as plant size.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hey Glenn

Thats some serious cold weather you had. How did your A. cunninghamiana's fair with such a prolonged freeze? I remember seeing that photoslide of your garden, anything surprise you after the cold?

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

• 4 weeks later...

3' Parajubaea sunkha newly planted 3 weeks ago. Most exposed part of the yard facing north. 2 nights @ 21 & 27- 30 hours of freezing temps. Covered palm with a grill cover on the first night. Palm has minimal to zero damage.

post-6146-0-57787900-1389284468_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

• 3 years later...

I have a 5-gallon sized Pj sunkha planted between my neighbor and I (approx. 15-feet wide strip) in the spring of 2016 which survived this past winter with significant damage. Spear and youngest 2 fronds were fried. Older fronds survived with little damage. New spear began to emerge in early June. Generally this past winter was warm, but we did have a 36-hr  period below freezing with a low temp of 20f in January. 

This palm gets direct sun during the middle of the day in spring/summer and generally bright light for all other times.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

I have three 15G and I am really wanting to pull the trigger and get one in the ground.  One of the 15G lost the spear this winter in the cold frame @ around 22F.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎28‎:‎32‎, Austinpalm said:

I have a 5-gallon sized Pj sunkha planted between my neighbor and I (approx. 15-feet wide strip) in the spring of 2016 which survived this past winter with significant damage. Spear and youngest 2 fronds were fried. Older fronds survived with little damage. New spear began to emerge in early June. Generally this past winter was warm, but we did have a 36-hr  period below freezing with a low temp of 20f in January. 

This palm gets direct sun during the middle of the day in spring/summer and generally bright light for all other times.

Here is a pic mine this morning.  Not as nice looking as some in the above pix, but I'm just glad it still hanging in there.  This summer has become very hot. I am impressed how with its toughness to this point. For some reason, I can only upload pdfs at this moment. 

IMG_2494.pdf

Clay

• 4 months later...
On 7/29/2017, 10:04:48, Austinpalm said:

Here is a pic mine this morning.  Not as nice looking as some in the above pix, but I'm just glad it still hanging in there.  This summer has become very hot. I am impressed how with its toughness to this point. For some reason, I can only upload pdfs at this moment. 

IMG_2494.pdf

These two will go in the ground this april

20171218_170238.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎04‎:‎48‎, Austinpalm said:

IMG_2494.pdf

Threw a couple of paper sacks and a giant plastic trash bag over this palm back in December.  Seemed to do the trick as the plant is showing only minimal damage after approximately 24 hrs below freezing with an ultimate low of 20F.   This plant seems to still be growing. Fall/Winter/Spring seem to be the best growth periods for this palm here in Austin.  Have not noticed any damage from heat yet, but the palm just quits growing around the end of May.

Clay

• 3 years later...

Here is my ~3-gal sized Parajubaea sunkha as of March 4 following consecutive lows of 9°F and 13°F on Feb. 15-16.  I covered it with a thin sleeping bag which kept it dry from snow but no supplemental heat source.  Roughly 60-70% leaf burn on outer leaves.  Newest leaf and spear are both still green and healthy.  :) 

Parajubaea sunkha.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Fusca With that kind of cold hardiness in a regular PJS. I wonder how hardy my ButiaxPJT will be? 

Good question TJ.  I was truly shocked that my sunkha survived.  Joseph said that he had an unprotected 15-gal plant spear-pull @ 22° F which my much smaller one did not.  But with Butia in the mix it stands to be pretty hardy.  BxS standard mules are almost as hardy as a regular Butia so perhaps that is the case with yours.  Time will tell.  These newer hybrids have not been severely tested yet.  My largest unprotected Butia survived 9° F and my smallest BxS survived after a spear-pull and a severe trunk cut.  My largest mule did not survive, but I got a replacement for it today.

rsz_new mule.jpg

Jon Sunder

9 hours ago, Fusca said:

I got a replacement for it today.

Woohoo my Mule is in sad shape no spear pull tho. So far haven't seen any mules for sale in my area this season. 

T J 

T J