IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

the best cold hardy gardens

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

It would be nice to consolidate the best cold hardy palm gardens, that would be anything outside of Southern California and Southern Florida.

1) Jim Denz garden in Los Altos Hills, Bay area:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/30471-jim-denz-garden/?hl=%2Bdenz+%2Bgarden

2) Darold Petty garden in the Sunset district of San Francisco:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/19560-darold-petty-garden/?hl=%2Bdarold+%2Bpetty+%2Bgarden

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/38108-san-francisco-pra-rhopie-and-ceroxylon-country/page-2?hl=%2Bdarold+%2Bpetty+%2Bgarden#entry610888

3) Edith Begstrom Garden in Atherton, Northern SF Peninsula

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37645-pra-ediths-peninsula-palm-paradise/?hl=edith

4) Roger's garden in Seattle?:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/38928-back-yard-garden-pics-the-patio/#entry603016

5) Richard Josephson's Garden in Santa Cruz:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/23989-richard-josephson-garden/?hl=%2Brichard+%2Bjosephson

6) Glenn Harris Garden in Modesto, CA

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/36059-cold-hardy-garden/

7) Jeff Earl's garden in Modesto, CA

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39563-my-palm-garden-in-the-news/?hl=%2Bjeff+%2Bmodesto

Now we need to add some great Texas and Central and Northern Florida gardens to the list. Please add links to great garden tours.

You missed TonyDFW. Stellar garden.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My favorite is the garden of the late Dick Douglas. Also Merill Wilcox in northern florida has a great 8b garden.... Merill's silver BxJ is a spectacular monster.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I can't find links for any of these. If you have them, please post them.

I don't know of links for any of those. Searching past post on PT may be the best way. All mentioned are outstanding.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Would Alberto's location qualify as colder than a SoCal/SoFL climate?

"The I´m at 25º south and Oakley´s (CA) Latitude is 37º: 59' north.
The difference is that you´re at a few meters altitude and I´m at 1030 m altitude.
My climate is a 9b most of the years and 9a every 5-10 years(,but also a very rare 10a some years ago),not to speak about the odd ´´century´´ freezes............."

-quote from Alberto describing his winter patterns compared to the Modesto area.

If so here is the link to his excellent garden.

These are some great gardens. Thanks for posting these in one spot.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the mention here; others are some of the giants of cold hardy palm gardening. Here is a better collection of pictures of my garden. if you hold your cursor over the top of the frame, it will show you a menu and you can speed or slow the progression of the pictures.

Pool view

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 2 weeks later...

There is cold hardy, then there is tundra hardy...

I totally agree Axel! I can only dream about planting palms that some consider coldhardy! Well, we had this discussion on the other thread.

Thanks for the mention here; others are some of the giants of cold hardy palm gardening. Here is a better collection of pictures of my garden. if you hold your cursor over the top of the frame, it will show you a menu and you can speed or slow the progression of the pictures.

I just love it :wub:

Pool view

Glenn, your garden is a true inspiration, everything looks psectacular.

Well only the one in Seattle loks realy an example of a cold hardy garden with serious snow and ice now and then. The other ones have more a association for me to sunnier parts of Southern Europe. Even if you get some sporadic frost or cold weather in those areas for a short time.

But thats from someone living at 52 degrees north.

Alexander

Edited by Explorer

Well only the one in Seattle loks realy an example of a cold hardy garden with serious snow and ice now and then. The other ones have more a association for me to sunnier parts of Southern Europe. Even if you get some sporadic frost or cold weather in those areas for a short time.

Alexander

Yes so true. We consider ourselves cold hardy here compared to other parts of California but certainly not to those in Switzerland or Iowa. I might trade my warmer weather and palms to live in beautiful Switzerland though! :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Alexander

Yes so true. We consider ourselves cold hardy here compared to other parts of California but certainly not to those in Switzerland or Iowa. I might trade my warmer weather and palms to live in beautiful Switzerland though! :)

There are several definitions of cold hardy around here. For me, anything cold hardy is whatever can take 500+ hours of wet chill and can handle a handful of nights near or just below freezing. For the Central valley, bump those chill hours to about 1200 and the duration of freezes goes up a bit with less daytime temperature recoveries. I can't speak for 52N, though.

We tried to come up with a definition for cold hardy via plant indicators, but even that isn't really possible. I think that it's this lack of decent definition that makes it so that this forum really doesn't have very much traffic in it.

Thanks for the above comments...

To me,cold hardy means it can come back from 20F.

Jim, I still see you as my climate-idol. Someday, my yard will look like Ice Station Zebra like yours in the winter...

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Pool view

Glenn, your garden is a true inspiration, everything looks psectacular.

Thanks so much Axel.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Cold hardy is definitely relative. The low at my house usually gets a little below freezing for just a few night each year, occasionally getting into the low 20's every 5-7 years and some years it doesn't get below freezing. When I first started, I thought palms that could take 28*F we're cold hardy enough for my yard. After losing a lot of palms, I don't plant anything that can't take 20*F. That's my cold hardy standard now.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice plants and garden. I like your cycads a lot (With preference on the Macrozamia and Encephalartos). I would like to know if they windstand temperatures in the low 20°. Do you use any protection during winter for this sp.?

Sincerely.

Jean-Michel

Very nice plants and garden. I like your cycads a lot (With preference on the Macrozamia and Encephalartos). I would like to know if they windstand temperatures in the low 20°. Do you use any protection during winter for this sp.?

Sincerely.

Jean-Michel

Hi Jean-Michel

I can't say by personal experience that any of these can withstand the low 20's- I've had a low temp of about 25-26F here in the last 15 years with the cycads in the pictures. No I dont cover them. Here are some notes:

Macrozamia- M johnsonii burns slightly in mid 20's. M mooreii shows no damage at all.

Encephalartos- E natalensis, altenstienii, ferox and arenarus burn 10-30% in mid 20's. E lehmanii, villosius no damage.

Dioons are tough- D edule, purpusii, mejiae, merolae no damage

Lepidozamia peroffskyana- burns 10-30% in mid 20's

Cycas- c thoursii 80-100% burn in mid 20's. Recovers in summer. C circinalis 10-30% burn. C revoluta and panzhihuaensis no damage.

C panzhihuaensis may be the most freeze hardy cycad.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the above comments...

To me,cold hardy means it can come back from 20F.

Jim, I still see you as my climate-idol. Someday, my yard will look like Ice Station Zebra like yours in the winter...

Thanks!

but

be careful what you wish for :hmm::winkie:

• 1 month later...

Axel,

This link is mot to my garden .

7) Jeff Earl's garden in Modesto, CA

http://www.palmtalk....=+jeff +modesto

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

If you can grow anything with a crownshaft, I don't consider it truely cold hardy.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Sorry, Jeff, the link was a PalmTalk search link and for some reason, that search now brings up Dave's garden.

Cameron, all the gardens I listed have crownshaft palms. In California, these gardens are considered cold hardy gardens, but I understand North Texas is a whole different ball game. I guess there are zone 9 cold hardy gardens and there are zone 8 cold hardy gardens.

Zone 9 south and Zone 9 west are in many ways two different animals.

Nice garden, Glenn! Jealous. Agree with Keith. Seems that palms survive cold in Cali different than in the Gulf South. Guess its the humidity or the radiation vs advective freeze.

I know it's all relative. Even if it can take a bit of frost here and there, I feel "cold" is a stretch for most of these gardens above. Cold breaks water lines, heaves soil and freezes rivers. I think we can more accurately describe gardens as cool hardy (no freezing or frost, but cool temps), frost hardy (frosts, moderate freezes and with a few crownshaft palms) and then cold hardy (anything goes, crownshafts can't survive).

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

If you can grow anything with a crownshaft, I don't consider it truely cold hardy.

Sounds like a good measuring stick- which would also mean my area sits right on the borderline.

Jeff in Modesto's Dypsis decipiens has been trunking for several years, mine have been slower- many have died.

His Archontophoenix cunninghamiana died this year- I have some still growing with 12-15 feet of trunk but defoliated this year. They dont look good until late Summer and Fall.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Zone 9 south and Zone 9 west are in many ways two different animals.

2012 USDA places both my area and Orlando FL at 9b- but how different these two places are!

I just spent some time in Orlando with my family and enjoyed the many crownshaft palms growing in the area. The Animal Kingdom park at Disney was loaded with them- the Wodyetia bifurcata foxtail palms looked perfect- they are an absolute no grow in my area. There are way more palm choices in Orlando's 9b than mine-without question.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Nice garden, Glenn! Jealous. Agree with Keith. Seems that palms survive cold in Cali different than in the Gulf South. Guess its the humidity or the radiation vs advective freeze.

Thank you! I think it's the moderating effect of ocean air we receive from the Pacific (not much, but it's there) whereas you are much more exposed to cold air falling from the North.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Sounds like a good measuring stick- which would also mean my area sits right on the borderline.

Jeff in Modesto's Dypsis decipiens has been trunking for several years, mine have been slower- many have died.

His Archontophoenix cunninghamiana died this year- I have some still growing with 12-15 feet of trunk but defoliated this year. They dont look good until late Summer and Fall.

I agree, we are about 1or 2 degrees shy of moving up a complete growing zone.

Many years our winters chilly but all winter low is just barely below freezing.

Then about every 8 years we get slugged with what I call a hard freeze.... 25f or below. While tis rarely kills mature borderline (sub) tropical palms, the cold wet soil combined with the cold weather.... beats the snot out of them.

R. Sapida, Kings, b. alfredii, parajubea cocoides etc are examples. Though they survive here, they dont look good till late summer.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f