IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How badly do you hate winter?

SubTropicRay

I can't begin to tell you how much I despise winter.  The forecasters said 20% chance of rain last night.  This usually equates to no rain right?  I decided to leave the covers on about 10 plants already covered for Friday night's close call.  The forecasted low for tonight is only 36F but why take chances.  Guess what?  It rained.  Now I have to spend a good portion of the day drying soaked comforters.  Did I mention that I hate winter?  I openly tell northern transplants that say they like this chill to go back home.  I hate winter.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray-

I like the normal winter pattern (as a break from the oppresive heat and humidity of summer is welcomed), but as we knows things arent "normal" all the time.

If winter stayed right on the averages, it would be wonderful!  Pity this is never the case.

These blips down now and again are annoying, not only for the plants, but for general everyday living.  I know that I am in no rush to run outside today and wander around in 52F temperatures with stiff winds.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I've been hibernating all weekend.

I was just talking to my wife the other day about the winter . Since I build homes, I am always outside all year long.  I said that I  know I complain about the  heat in the summer, and the cold in the winter  but I don't ever say I get tired of the heat,  like I always can't wait for winter to end. The cold brings with it the dry cracking hands that split and dry itchy skin.

Although I would rather  it be 25* and cloudy outside then 40* and sunny, all the mud and yuck at the warmer  cold temps I really can't stand. Hurry up summer and bring back the sweaty weather!

Jim

will try to do the things that they say can't be done

No complaints about winter in general since it's only about 10 degrees cooler than it is in summer. Could have done without our lovely Jan. freeze, however.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(Ray @ Tampa,Feb. 18 2007,12:49)

I can't begin to tell you how much I despise winter.  The forecasters said 20% chance of rain last night.  This usually equates to no rain right?  I decided to leave the covers on about 10 plants already covered for Friday night's close call.  The forecasted low for tonight is only 36F but why take chances.  Guess what?  It rained.  Now I have to spend a good portion of the day drying soaked comforters.  Did I mention that I hate winter?  I openly tell northern transplants that say they like this chill to go back home.  I hate winter.

I absolutely HATE winter!!!  Nasty short days, ugh!

True, I have serious trouble with heat - but lord I love the SUN - the more the better.  This stupid stinking winter has been more overcast than any I can remember - and I am sitting here posting this with the stupid heater on, and with my umpteenth migraine from these @#%$@#$#@ fronts blasting down from the Great White North and I hate it.  And it really does a number on fibro!

Wish we had NEVER NEVER NEVER left south FL!!!

~sunny the poster child for S.A.D.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I openly tell northern transplants that say they like this chill to go back home.  I hate winter.

Ray,

I PROMISE you will never hear those words from my mouth  ......  If I want to feel a chill when I live in FL, all I have to do is go to a local Mall :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 19 2007,00:09)

I openly tell northern transplants that say they like this chill to go back home.  I hate winter.

Ray,

I PROMISE you will never hear those words from my mouth  ......  If I want to feel a chill when I live in FL, all I have to do is go to a local Mall :)

The grass is always greener, Bobby. Don't make promises you can't keep. :;):

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The grass is always greener, Bobby. Don't make promises you can't keep.

The grass is definitely greener in FL during the winter than It is in NY :) .... I can speak with a little bit of knowledge.... after all, I did live in South Florida for 6 years... So I kinda know what I'm giving up to get

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

I love winter ! Can finally wear shorts , as no giant mosquitos and march flies to attack my bandy legs . But horrible Victorian winters , BBBBRRRRRRR I do not ever want to see the thermometer drop below 16c in daylight hours ever again , let alone stay there all day , or heaven forbid actually get to single digits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Me to ... i hate winter ... short day's with some frost sometimes ... can be very raining day's .... brrrrrrrr For me .. if i can make the year with diffrent seasons .. i will say, 3 month's spring, 3 months autemm and 6 months summer!

Robbin

Southwest

I hate winter again today.

(aussiearoids @ Feb. 19 2007,18:18)

I love winter ! Can finally wear shorts , as no giant mosquitos and march flies to attack my bandy legs . But horrible Victorian winters , BBBBRRRRRRR I do not ever want to see the thermometer drop below 16c in daylight hours ever again , let alone stay there all day , or heaven forbid actually get to single digits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D  :D  :D  You don't get winter. We do for a week or so. Und I hate it too, way before I got into palms. Most females here love winter though, bit of a clothing thing, no sweaty spots etc.......ah hem.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I'm OK with FL winter, except for the lack of humidity!Those red flag days take a toll on my face, I have to use a mister all the time, UGH!

My favorite part is waking up on a cold Monday morning at 5 AM, with no time to sip a cup of coffee, and getting in my car that sleeps outside. It takes 20 minutes to get comfortable in there, but I am already at work.

And I don't know why they leave the thermostat at work at 68ºF, who said that's the acceptable comfort temperature? That only works outside!

Looking forward to spring and summer!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

MY FINGERS HAVE SPLIT OPEN AND ARE BLEEDING FROM THE FLIPPIN DRYNESS AND COLD!

I'm not allowed to say how much I hate the cold of winter....  the moderator will kick me off this site if I use those words...   :angry: #$%^#%   :angry:

Ray,

About the only thing I hate worse than winter,is winter weather forecasters!  :angry:  

If meterology is a TRUE sceince then I'm a brain surgeon!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I think the dry air is one of the worst things about winter... We have it really bad up here - then when it gets cold and you have to crank up the heat it dries  out the air even more... Thank god for humidifiers - I couldn't sleep without it.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

There is no science in meteorology.

meteorology is a science, it is being used as a predictor in far too specific way and with expectations like those of a small child on Christmas Eve.  Also, the standards to become a meteorologist have been reduced such that Mr. Potato Head is now King of Meteorologists.  Maybe it WAS science at one time and now sounds a little like science.  So sad.

Now Political Science is most assuredly poorly named, it should School for Scoundrels (only not funny). Actually, I think it may be threat to national security and should be taught in back alleys and basements.

Sorry, I could not stop myself.

If any of you have degrees in poly-sci; I would keep that a secret.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

I like it Alan.