IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Orange County PRA, My 1st real PRA

_Keith

I doubt many could do 9 gardens in one day.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Nine gardens was madness, but lovely madness.

Saw lots of great plants, met some great people, and got some great pictures for our PSSC journal.

Suicidally sore feet were a worthwhile price to pay.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Keith just a wild guess ,but was the man in the check shirt and trousers walking across the street DooMs tm Dave ?? :greenthumb:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Great PRA, great palms, great gardens, great people and outstanding hospitality.

What you look for is what is looking

It was a pleasure hosting Keith, even though I had to step out a couple of times because of work. Shout out to Mike Wardlow for stepping up to keep things going. Most of the gardens we saw belong to people who are not active on PalmTalk or IPS/PSSC. The yards on the PRA were:

Joe Bui

Mike Wardlow

John Limbocker

Jon Boyer

Guy Young

South Coast Plaza/ Crystal

Rick Cerino

Ralph Velez

Larry Black

Dave had the camera. Hopefully he will be posting pics. The only yard that wished to not have any pictures taken was Rick's yard, and we were fine with that.

The tour started at 9 and ended at 5. 9 yards in 8 hours!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

What a great PRA. I was hoping that you might have stopped by Jerod...Surf City Palms to check out his variegated collection and one of the few

Lipstick Palms in So. Cal (ok, so its always indoors). Keith, I hope the John Wayne airport was a little less stressful than LAX. Scott

Dave, If you're gonna post your picks soon, I won't clean the drool off the keyboard.

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Keith just a wild guess ,but was the man in the check shirt and trousers walking across the street DooMs tm Dave ?? :greenthumb:

That would be Dave in his standard PRA uniform.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What a great PRA. I was hoping that you might have stopped by Jerod...Surf City Palms to check out his variegated collection and one of the few

Lipstick Palms in So. Cal (ok, so its always indoors). Keith, I hope the John Wayne airport was a little less stressful than LAX. Scott

Dave, If you're gonna post your picks soon, I won't clean the drool off the keyboard.

Very sorry I did not get to stop. One weekday was all I had, but I could have spent a week PRA'ing Orange County alone, I think.

And yes, John Wayne was awesome. If I see LAX again before I die, it will be too soon.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

All right all.

First, enormous thanks to Joe for setting up this epic PRA.

NINE EXPLETIVE GARDENS IN ONE EXPLETIVE DAY

And, each was worth a PRA by itself!

First, a nice portrait of our Most Honored PRA Guest: Keith Thibideaux!

post-208-0-75937700-1387071610_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There aren't enough expletives in English, Viet, or even Cajun French COMBINED for all the expletive stuff on this trip.

My head is still spinning, have to keep twisting to view the monitor . . . . :mrlooney:

So, scream a few happy obscenities for Joe from the OC!

post-208-0-49428300-1387071810_thumb.jpg

Joe, Keith and Mike, in front of Joe's Happy Huntington Beach House of palms.

post-208-0-91744700-1387071907_thumb.jpg

Dypsis baronii, front patio.

Scream!

post-208-0-94978700-1387071975_thumb.jpg

Licuala

(gasp! pant pant pant)

elegans

Gurgle, urck!

Ready to plant.

post-208-0-27868400-1387072071_thumb.jpg

A nice view, one of many many to follow.

post-208-0-97185200-1387072218_thumb.jpg

A view northward, across the pool.

Joe's yard is a nice pie-shape at the end of a cul-de-sac, a quarter acre.

post-208-0-05099800-1387072401_thumb.jpg

Cop a feel on this vivid red Teddy Bear, Dypsis leptocheilos.

post-208-0-71831500-1387072478_thumb.jpg

Joe about to be attacked by Man-Eating Chambeyronia's of Doom . . . .

There's at least two in there. One's throwing a red leaf, in an effort to lure Joe closer.

post-208-0-67316300-1387072594_thumb.jpg

And, now some music:

Love is, Alannah Myles, what's not to love? Red shoes, red lips, red pants, ostriches, kangaroos, horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4UZjfDYWQ

"know that it's for reall . . . "

Sorry . . .

Keith provides scale to a Kentiopsis, I think. Joe will tell us the species.

I'm sure.

Love is! What I feel in a palm garden . . .

(Easy!)

post-208-0-77283600-1387072878_thumb.jpg

Another New Caledonian, my brain is fried as to what this is. . . .

post-208-0-12971900-1387072966_thumb.jpg

We roar off from Joes, and arrive at Mike's.

I mean, who would have guessed? Address schmaddress . . . .

post-208-0-34076000-1387073072_thumb.jpg

Hey, Dave!

Yeah?

Mike likes bromeliads!

You think?

post-208-0-80904100-1387073151_thumb.jpg

Mike showing us his Droopy Dypsis oniliahensis

post-208-0-21842400-1387073222_thumb.jpg

A happy [Chambeyronia] hookeri.

post-208-0-94347200-1387073283_thumb.jpg

Mike is persuasive, I think.

Here's one of his neighbors.

post-208-0-17033400-1387073347_thumb.jpg

I hate those [expletive] bromeliads! They just keep popping up . . .

post-208-0-66050500-1387073456_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-48151900-1387073492_thumb.jpg

Howea!

I'm fine, and you?

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

AHEM

post-208-0-18885300-1387073626_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Panorama of Mike's street

post-208-0-37209700-1387073695_thumb.jpg

Shhh.

Be very quiet!

Keith, Mike and Hammer are worshipping . . . .

post-208-0-23690500-1387073790_thumb.jpg

One of the nicest Euterpe edulis I've seen in So Cal.

Look at that OBSCENE GREEN color.

I screamed so loud they called the cops. (Who screamed when they saw, quite picturesque, actually.)

post-208-0-20604000-1387073941_thumb.jpg

10-4, front door.

This will be the last for a while, have to go on a bike ride . . ..

post-208-0-41219900-1387074032_thumb.jpg

Adding on a few more pictures, but Joe will have to tell you what they are, lol.

post-1207-0-42813800-1387145965_thumb.jp

Love the fuzzy between the thorns on this one.

post-1207-0-83651400-1387146041_thumb.jp

Old Butia. Many of these palms were labeled with planting dates back to the 60s.

post-1207-0-49452500-1387146471_thumb.jp

Awesome tours guys. Awesome that you got to see some so cal gardens.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Dave, the song is still going but the pictures stopped !! sigh !, patience grasshopper...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Adding them slowly. Just home one day before I hit the road again. Lots to do.

post-1207-0-56014500-1387153712_thumb.jp

Got to love them.

post-1207-0-17335000-1387153824_thumb.jp