IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Orange County PRA, My 1st real PRA

_Keith

First, I must give a wholehearted than you to Joe. He went above and beyond in putting this together, and provided some fine sashimi along the way. And to Mike for taking care of us whenever Joe had to step away. In spite of the fact that is was a weekday, and that we were all "kinda" working, too, we covered 9 yards in total.

I saw more Dypsis than I knew existed. And I was in awe of Joe and Mike's ability to recognize and name them all at a few seconds glance.

And to Dave for putting in an entire day, and a few other cameo appearances by others (Hammer). Joe will have to name all of the people, handles, yards, and most of the plants. My head palm exploded in the first 30 minutes.

My biggest regret was only having my iPhone to take pictures. Dave had a better camera, so he can add in some quality stuff in the thread.

Only appropriate that the first photo be the PRA leader, who had an uncanny ability for slipping out of a picture before the camera can focus.

post-1207-0-56136900-1386991054_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You would not believe how many palms are actually in this picture, but not readily seen. Of course to get to them we had to face fearless defenders. Don't let their docile look fool you, there were ferocious.

post-1207-0-25442400-1386991477_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

And then we showed up at this very palmy looking home. I think one of the stunt drivers from Fast and Furious owns it.

post-1207-0-71125100-1386991993_thumb.jp

A palmy looking group. And somehow our host even evaded the group photo.

post-1207-0-19976500-1386992156_thumb.jp

Next was this house. The Bizzie was a hint this was a palm person.

post-1207-0-86499600-1386992611_thumb.jp

In the backyard, there are palms and hardscape everywhere

post-1207-0-66073400-1386992923_thumb.jp

more

post-1207-0-87157500-1386993039_thumb.jp

and more

post-1207-0-82665900-1386993271_thumb.jp

and even more hidden down the jungle trail

post-1207-0-61099400-1386993942_thumb.jp

I love looking up.

post-1207-0-77055000-1386994058_thumb.jp

and higher up

post-1207-0-40207600-1386994280_thumb.jp

and when you think you can't stand it anymore, you see a gate into the neighbor's yard, and realize that there are even more palms over there.

post-1207-0-34754500-1386994389_thumb.jp

see, look, really there were more.

post-1207-0-00307100-1386994550_thumb.jp

Well, we saw nine gardens in one expletive day

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

For some reason everyone seems to be impressed with this one.

post-1207-0-01663700-1386994802_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

And then we all went to the mall, no, not the mall in Miami.

post-1207-0-15632600-1386995029_thumb.jp

Dave was royally in love.

post-1207-0-43293800-1386995230_thumb.jp

The giant Caryota made me stop in my tracks, and I wasn't alone.

post-1207-0-45797500-1386995427_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

There I go looking up again.

post-1207-0-05311700-1386995561_thumb.jp

I wanted to hug it, I really did.

post-1207-0-84163200-1386995825_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Whoever lives here seems to like palms.

post-1207-0-00283600-1386996104_thumb.jp

And then we went to this place. Not sure if anyone had ever heard of this guy, but he sure seemed to like palms, too.

post-1207-0-71652100-1386996296_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

There was a palm or two, or maybe too many.

post-1207-0-35090500-1386996410_thumb.jp

Here we go again. Hardly got outside of the back door before some uniqueness popped up.

post-1207-0-28522000-1386996542_thumb.jp

a little palm here, a little palm there, a little palm everywhere

post-1207-0-28180300-1386996643_thumb.jp

I am not sure if Joe saw something he really liked, or was just escaping the camera again, but I'll end here with the guy that started it all.

Dave, you took some cool photos, please add them on.

post-1207-0-03201200-1386996847_thumb.jp

Kenny, there will be other days

SCUH-REEM!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow! Looks like you really got the VIP treatment Keith. That's what Palmtalk and the palm society is all about.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

and you didn't have to sit in traffic for 18 hours.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Yes, Matt!

YESSSS

Hey, traffic would have been worth it for our palm talk buds . . . .

Guys it was the Cyphosperma balansae that was the black trunked palm I was thinking of today.

Salute to Mike for the best looking Euterpe edulis I have ever seen in person. Outstanding.

WOW Keith - i can really relate to your PRA day ! Did i see Larry Blacks yard - he is a real nice bloke !

Super sized Rhopalostylis - not something you see in the deep South !

Ralph veleez - amazing collection

Got palms yard !

Cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Terrific to see another gathering like this, that's a whirlwind tour, 9 in the bag.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, it was a whirlwind indeed, and quite an adventure. Finished up the day having a beer with Joe back in the same garden where the day started. Great trip, great gardens, and great friends whom I finally got to see face to face.

Now, at 5 am I am typing this at the airport anxious to get back to my wife and garden.

Next week, the Rio Grand Valley waits. Anyone want to host a PRA? :-)

It came and went before I knew what happened.. Glad you got to visit so many places Keith!

Long Live Dypsis!! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Keith,

NINE palm gardens in one day is bordering on insanity, especially when Ralph's is one of the nine, but hey, you seem to have survived! And you're even open to visiting MORE palm gardens in the future! Unbelievable! :bemused:

Go for it! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm