Sign in to follow this  
Brahea Axel

Dypsis lastelliana Highland Form

Brahea Axel

Dypsis lastelliana highland form dried up except for new leaf and spear. Cold exposure: 31F, two nights for 4 hour freezes in my upper garden, with several more days close to freezing. It was barely cold enough to burn the tip of banana leaves 2 feet away, and a Cordyline fruticosa right next to the lastelliana was untouched, most of the bananas are still green. There was even overhead canopy.

This thing is a wimp, needs an 11a climate somewhere along the coast in Southern California.

Brahea Axel

Update: dug up this palm to give away to warmer Socal climate where it will probably still be marginal but probably doable. It produced no additional roots since planted last Summer. Confirms this is not a palm for my garden. There's nothing "highland" about this palm as it has zero chill tolerance and burns from dry cold in the 31-35F range.

joe_OC

Update: dug up this palm to give away to warmer Socal climate where it will probably still be marginal but probably doable. It produced no additional roots since planted last Summer. Confirms this is not a palm for my garden. There's nothing "highland" about this palm as it has zero chill tolerance and burns from dry cold in the 31-35F range.

I'll take it, if there are no other takers