IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

can Bismarckia hybridize ???

Eric in Orlando

Here at Leu Gardens we have a Bismarckia nobilis close to 30ft tall. It started flowering about 10 years ago and it is a female. Up until now it has produced sterile seed since no male plants are near. But this week I noticed about a dozen seedlings underneath. I scouted the nearby neighborhood and found no other mature Bismarckia old enough to flower.

What could pollinate our palm? The only palm semi-related near it that is flowering is a Hyphaene coriacea and it is male. There is also a Copernicia alba, C. prunifera and C. glaucescens also near that are flowering but I don't think Bismarckia and Copernicia are closely related enough to cross.

Has anyone seen a Bismarckia hybrid ?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I always hear that bees can fly 3 miles to deliver pollen. My guess is that somewhere within 3 miles of you is a male Bismarckia, especially considering how common they've become.

If it's not that, Hyphanae is genetically similar, so the only way to be 100% positive that it's not that is to collect seeds and grow them for a while to see what comes up!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

There are several mature flowering specimens across the lake in an adjacen t neighborhood, 1-1.5 miles away and others with 2 miles.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

if it is a hybrid - can I have a few seeds ?

It is holding green ones now. I will keep watch for when they drop. I'm going to try to dig the seedlings gently and pot up to watch for hybridization. The flowering Hyphaene is only about 50ft away.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Kris, I think you get a mix. From what I hear green ones produce almost all green ones. Silver blue ones produce mostly silver blue but some green ones too. The ones that will be the most intensely silvery blue will have purple/maroon coloring as seedlings.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

if it is a hybrid - can I have a few seeds ?

It is holding green ones now. I will keep watch for when they drop. I'm going to try to dig the seedlings gently and pot up to watch for hybridization. The flowering Hyphaene is only about 50ft away.

Good luck digging those seedlings! I doubt you will be able to and make them live. I also say it's not a hybrid--if it were possible, I think we would have seen it by now...

I don't think they are either, the seedlings look like Biz seedlings.But on the remote change that they might be I'm going to try them.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 5 years later...

From my experience, when it comes to hybridization the only way to know if a cross is possible is it to try and create the hybrid by hand.  when the palm society was in Thailand at Nong Noch garden, we toured a few gardens that had seemingly impossible hybrids.  For instance they had a few dozen Lodoicea x Borasus growing on a hill.  The owner explained the gardens first flowering Lodoicea was a female.  They could not locate any male Lodoicea pollen so they tried Borassus as a experiement and it worked.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Beespalms said:

From my experience, when it comes to hybridization the only way to know if a cross is possible is it to try and create the hybrid by hand.  when the palm society was in Thailand at Nong Noch garden, we toured a few gardens that had seemingly impossible hybrids.  For instance they had a few dozen Lodoicea x Borasus growing on a hill.  The owner explained the gardens first flowering Lodoicea was a female.  They could not locate any male Lodoicea pollen so they tried Borassus as a experiement and it worked.  

If accurate, that's pretty amazing. I'd like to see what the hybrids looked like.

There was a thread on the topic of Bismarckia crosses a while back, but nothing concrete... just theoretical: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/42735-what-are-all-the-different-bismarkia-cross-x-s/

I was always curious if a Bismarckia could cross with Medemia.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

No hybrids, I let some seedlings grow for awhile, all Bismarckia.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a