IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda x elegans

Dorian

A hybrid version of renda going around, that seems to have a bit more cold hardiness. Not quite the same bright red as renda, but still very striking, and would be a great addition if it lived here in coastal SoCal. Sacrificed a seedling outside over the past few months to provide some data.

Good news: it was perfectly happy under 55F, unlike renda. It was actually happy all the way down to about 46-47F. Once it hit 41-44F, it promptly snuffed it over the span of two nights. A slightly larger one might have done better.

I've had some of these since last Summer. Mine saw temps down to 35 in my unheated greenhouse. I had a few die off, but the majority made it through just fine. This week has been down to about 40 every night in my coldframe (last night was 37) and still no damage. These are showing potential for at least protected parts of So Cal.

I have had one in the ground, planted up against my house since last year as well and it's done fine. Nice and green still. Not growing fast, but not showing any cold damage either.

It will be great to see what these become within a few years and if they have the color on them like I've seen in Florida.

"'Tis better to have planted and lost, than never to have planted at all."

• Upvote 5

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

A hybrid version of renda going around, that seems to have a bit more cold hardiness. Not quite the same bright red as renda, but still very striking, and would be a great addition if it lived here in coastal SoCal. Sacrificed a seedling outside over the past few months to provide some data.

Good news: it was perfectly happy under 55F, unlike renda. It was actually happy all the way down to about 46-47F. Once it hit 41-44F, it promptly snuffed it over the span of two nights. A slightly larger one might have done better.

Sorry to hear about you loosing your seedling. But come on, this is in no way a fair assessment. And I assume it was in a pot, and not in the ground. Anything planted, will be much stronger. My plants ( approx. 3-4' in 7 gal. ) went through our horrible winter of 2010 and it was in the low 30's. Out in the shadehouse, where the only protection was running the water. And not one leaf on one plant showed any damage. These are tough plants. Their very fast and produce a much longer leaf.

And also, C. renda will always take 55F and survive. They'll go through the 40's and usually show very little damage.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My greenhouse is heated to 40. It has hit 40 two nights in a row. Now cold spots at all. I am looking forward to finding a protected spot next year and planting this.

Jeff, that one I got from you and some from Marcus have shown to be a slow growing plant here in CA. I think it is the low humidity that causes this.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

My greenhouse is heated to 40. It has hit 40 two nights in a row. Now cold spots at all. I am looking forward to finding a protected spot next year and planting this.

Jeff, that one I got from you and some from Marcus have shown to be a slow growing plant here in CA. I think it is the low humidity that causes this.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with sweaters for 9-10 months out of the year! :lol:

I don't get it? Are you saying San Diego is cold for 9-10 months out of the year? It will be flip flops and short weather again come Monday day. Supposed to be 80f

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Great palm! Nice work on the stats. If these ever come over the pond they should go well in my neck of the woods. Looking forward to future reports

I don't get it? Are you saying San Diego is cold for 9-10 months out of the year? It will be flip flops and short weather again come Monday day. Supposed to be 80f

Searle posted in another thread that Bs Man told him he wears a sweater 9-10 months of the year. Please don't ask me to find it. Steve it was a joke--I am sure some parts of SoCal are different...

Hey! Don't drag me and Bill into your mess. There's only so much room in a bed......

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hey! Don't drag me and Bill into your mess. There's only so much room in a bed......

I have no mess--do you not remember what I am talking about?

• 2 years later...

After two nights near freezing (30F and 32F in the open in the back yard, so probably 32F-34F overall for a minimum) one of which was windy and the other featuring significant frost, my large 8 foot Cyrtostachys hybrid clump (planted in the ground in mid 2015) looks flawless and untouched, after being completely unprotected.  This palm is MUCH more cold resistant than either parents, Cyrtostachys renda or Cyrtostachys glauca.  My palm is also now showing some nice deep red color at the base of the petioles of the newest leaves on the main trunk.  This palm is a winner for well irrigated spots in South Florida and is worth a try in warm areas of Central FL where some success has been had with zone pushing species like Ptychosperma elegans, Cocos, the more tender Archontophoenix species, Roystonea, etc.  I am impressed!  While I have no unrealistic expectations that this palm would survive upper 20s (which will happen here sooner or later), it just might survive it with major damage when larger and well established.  Should be a stunner in a couple years.

Thanks for the update! Some palms can take months to show damage, so make sure to post an update once warm temps come back. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 5 months later...

I wanted to post an update on this hybrid.  My 8 foot clump came through last winter completely unprotected without a blemish and has not shown ANY cold damage, stunting or any other sign of problems whatsoever.  The only difference I notice vs. last fall is that the planted out specimen became slightly less deep green than it was prior to winter.  This could easily be a result of sub-optimal soil moisture or slight lack of nutrients rather than a result of low temperatures.  I say, if you live in 10a FL, give the Cyrtostachys hybrid a try.  It is MUCH hardier than Cyrtostachys renda, and likely at least as cold hardy as Cocos.

That's nice to hear, I learned many years ago that these are one tough palm. The crown shaft color does vary from one palm to the next. Anywhere from a dark red to an orange-ish red.  The problem is, there's very few around now that are still for sale. The few collectors that had them, have now sold most of all of them and they have become vey expensive when you do find one.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

19 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

The crown shaft color does vary from one palm to the next. Anywhere from a dark red to an orange-ish red.

Here's one growing in the Keys with a great color! I didn't know it wasn't a pure C. renda until I was told so. As you said though, it's unfortunate that the hybrid isn't more available. 

IMG_5334.thumb.jpg.8523063550f821c58e9f2

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

4 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Here's one growing in the Keys with a great color! I didn't know it wasn't a pure C. renda until I was told so. As you said though, it's unfortunate that the hybrid isn't more available. 

IMG_5334.thumb.jpg.8523063550f821c58e9f2

If I knew where this was, or the person,  I would almost know if it came from me. Most all of them came from me over the years. But that IS one of the reddish ones I've seen.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I just noticed I was mentioned here... I may have said that overnights here on the coast a sweatshirt is about the norm for 8-10 months..generally 46-60 overnight here. 

Nice Hybrids, I should listened to Jeff earlier..:(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!