IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Kind of Winter Has It Been?

happ

It seems that when an arctic invasion occurs on one side of the nation that warmth happens on the opposite coast. The polar jet stream has been active & made its presence quite notcable at times this winter.  But, all & all, winter has actually been either near normal to much above normal.  January was the warmest world-wide since the 1800's

For example : PacificNW experienced a cold/wet early winter only to mellow-out in a more normal pattern of cool/wet. California has seen a very dull winter of mild but extremely dry conditions rudely interrupted by a week-long & devastating freeze in many parts of the state last month.  Same with Texas though the cold has laster longer than normal since January.

Great Lakes/Northeast had record warmth right up to 3-4 weeks ago when it plunged into the grip of a deep arctic air mass.  Florida is just now getting a taste of chill in an otherwise quite comfortable winter.

I leave out Hawaii since the tropics don't have winter.

Our friends in Europe have hardly had any really cold weather.

This week will see a nice modification occur as Pacific air draws mild temperatures eastward into Texas & over most of the US.

It has been quite toasty in California this weekend & that warmth is flowing east.   :cool:  So get ready for el Sol   :P

LA : 89/64

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ, I still can't believe that you can't grow a coconut palm with temps like that! You really need to get one in the ground with lots of fast draining sand. Really, winter has been totaly acceptable for me. I am in a 9B area and I am holding onto 10A lows for the winter. I guess I should not complain even though I do. This is my first winter growing palms in the ground and overall it has been very forgiving considering I should see 25 to 30F on a yearly basis. All my palms grew well into January. Hell, I have been harvesting ripe papayas the last couple of weeks. My palms are mostly in stasis at the moment after a few weeks of maybe slightly below average temps. Except the kings are continuing to grow well. One more cold night Monday morning and spring really may be underway by the middle of this week. I have seen frost on rooftops, cartops and even grass on 2 occaisions so far this winter and again likely sunday night and monday morning. No true freeze yet but hit 32.2F this morning. Close. No frozen puddles were seen in the area on my way to work today. Frost was widespread in the agricultural fields surrounding my subdivison. The days are getting longer, the sun hotter. I did not even get out of the 50's today again for a high, but the sun was wicked hot. Totally marvelous weather for humans today. Winter is almost over for me here at 27.7 degrees north in west central florida.   :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

The sun is getting stronger here at 29N (and change) in TX too,  Avg near 70 now, with some mid/upper 70s in forecast.  Happ is pushing some of that warmth east, and next week there is supposed to be a big dome of high pressure over us.  Won't be long now until we get some real heat.  This winter was a mixed bag.  No true super cold artic fronts, although the last 4 weeks have been really crummy.  Generally cooler and wetter than normal in last half of Jan and early Feb, even got a little ice in Jan.  Low for the year was attained 2 days ago, when we dropped down to 24.  Looking forward to some Texas sized heat around here.

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 17 2007,23:30)

Happ, I still can't believe that you can't grow a coconut palm with temps like that! You really need to get one in the ground with lots of fast draining sand. Really, winter has been totaly acceptable for me. I am in a 9B area and I am holding onto 10A lows for the winter. I guess I should not complain even though I do. This is my first winter growing palms in the ground and overall it has been very forgiving considering I should see 25 to 30F on a yearly basis. All my palms grew well into January. Hell, I have been harvesting ripe papayas the last couple of weeks. My palms are mostly in stasis at the moment after a few weeks of maybe slightly below average temps. Except the kings are continuing to grow well. One more cold night Monday morning and spring really may be underway by the middle of this week. I have seen frost on rooftops, cartops and even grass on 2 occaisions so far this winter and again likely sunday night and monday morning. No true freeze yet but hit 32.2F this morning. Close. No frozen puddles were seen in the area on my way to work today. Frost was widespread in the agricultural fields surrounding my subdivison. The days are getting longer, the sun hotter. I did not even get out of the 50's today again for a high, but the sun was wicked hot. Totally marvelous weather for humans today. Winter is almost over for me here at 27.7 degrees north in west central florida.   :)

Bill

The subject of coconut palms growing in California is like a redwood tree growing in Miami.  It's possible but the likelihood of having a healthy-looking tree is remote.  The reason, in my opinion, has to do with humidity and long/sustained heat.  Though warm, it is mostly quite dry/low relative humidity in California during summer into autumn.  Winter is mild but normally wet &, on average over 40 nights below 50F/10C.  It can get quite warm for a few winter days [w/ mild nights where it is windy] but the average winter minimum for Los Angeles & San Diego is barely 50F.  Miami is at least 10 degrees warmer during winter and has a year-round mean temperature that is consistently warmer than coastal California.  Southern Texas is also much warmer from April to October but more prone to frost.  32-34N latitude is quite a bit further north than what would be considered safe for coconut palms yet Home Depot sells them.  :o

In-fact, I did buy a cocos nucifera last month after realizing that elevation/hilltop/wind protected the garden from a wicked freeze.  37F was a relief but my veitchia arecina looks as bad if not worse in comparison to the photo you posted of your v. arecina.  I'll take some pictures tomorrow.  There are several factors making it worth the experiment to transplant the coco palm into the ground this spring : it will be in a sunny south-facing location under a canopy of tall trees with fairly good drainage.  Also my front yard, so to speak, is quite close to the road & the house for extra heat.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi,

Europe a very cold winter ? Maybe for the most of you is cold but for us it's a warm winter ... Big diffrence to see are in Germany ... that it was difficult to get some snow this winter ... Netherlands very Mild, Belgium, England etc etc ..

The weather forecast gives mild weather again to the end of Februari so far ... it's for 90% for sure that this winter will be the warmest winter ever!

Robbin

Southwest

This year, except two different cold snaps, we've held zone 11. BUT Saturday morning it reached 34.7 - we'll call it 35, and then a few weeks before we hit 39. So we'll still call this a 10B-ish area. Orlando has been generally warmer than most of central AND inland south Florida. Call it crazy.... Thank you Disney and Universal and our very crappy downtown. :)

This winter stood out as one of the best ever prior to the arrival of February.  Now, it has pretty much balanced out and can be lumped with most average winters.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(SoLando @ Feb. 18 2007,11:52)

So we'll still call this a 10B-ish area.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I would say that calling Orlando a 10B area is a big stretch.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(Ray, Tampa @ Feb. 18 2007,12:36)

This winter stood out as one of the best ever prior to the arrival of February.  Now, it has pretty much balanced out and can be lumped with most average winters.

Yeah...tue enough Ray.  We were on a great roll there till recently.

But, even the spoilers havent been so bad as to really do much damage.  When I look at the temps of the past few years through historical eyes, I am still quite happy.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I agree Larry.  Tonight does not look as bad as Friday night.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(happ @ Feb. 18 2007,02:18)

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 17 2007,23:30)

Bill

The subject of coconut palms growing in California is like a redwood tree growing in Miami.  It's possible but the likelihood of having a healthy-looking tree is remote.  The reason, in my opinion, has to do with humidity and long/sustained heat.  Though warm, it is mostly quite dry/low relative humidity in California during summer into autumn.  Winter is mild but normally wet &, on average over 40 nights below 50F/10C.  It can get quite warm for a few winter days [w/ mild nights where it is windy] but the average winter minimum for Los Angeles & San Diego is barely 50F.  Miami is at least 10 degrees warmer during winter and has a year-round mean temperature that is consistently warmer than coastal California.  Southern Texas is also much warmer from April to October but more prone to frost.  32-34N latitude is quite a bit further north than what would be considered safe for coconut palms yet Home Depot sells them.  :o

In-fact, I did buy a cocos nucifera last month after realizing that elevation/hilltop/wind protected the garden from a wicked freeze.  37F was a relief but my veitchia arecina looks as bad if not worse in comparison to the photo you posted of your v. arecina.  I'll take some pictures tomorrow.  There are several factors making it worth the experiment to transplant the coco palm into the ground this spring : it will be in a sunny south-facing location under a canopy of tall trees with fairly good drainage.  Also my front yard, so to speak, is quite close to the road & the house for extra heat.

....or, to shorten up Happs response....

too cool in winter and not warm enough in summer. End o story.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Winter here has been far warmer than average. With tonights event, I will have had only three cold spells and so far, none have been damaging. Keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

A few photos of tender palms in late winter :

Coconut ready to transplant next month  ??? P5280010.jpg

Majesty looking a bit dissatisfied

P5280007.jpg

Veitchia is not happy

P5280002.jpg

But still putting out growth

P5280005.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Some palms are sad but most are doing fine  :D

E. edilis [looking unhappy]

P5280012.jpg

Howea is always healthy under a ficus & brugmasia  canopy

P5280016.jpg

P5280082.jpg

Kings look fine  :)

P5280030.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

And some more palms :

Archontophoenix alexandrae are so lush  :P

P5280065.jpg

Foxtail ok

P5280034.jpg

Royal

P5280042.jpg

Have to look up what this palm is but it is under-watered for sure  :(

P5280044.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

Your palms look good for the most part.  I think that Veitchia will be fine once it gets bigger.  My trunking specimen made it through 05-06 with no spots on the leaves, and it looked flawless back in early January before I dug it out.

I think the palm in the last photo is a Thrinax sp..  I haven't had much luck with those, all mine have looked worse than yours - even with plenty of water.  I think it's just not hot enough here...

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...