IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Let's talk about bromeliads

Alicehunter2000

I am new to the world of bromeliads and need an education as to what I can expect to survive up here in North Florida. Do these two plants that I currently own have a y chance of survival? What are the names of these species and what are the cultural requirements......can I stick them in the boots of a palm?

Please show me your broms and tell me if they are commonly available. post-97-0-50688800-1386036724_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-65940200-1386036759_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Both of those are less hardy species if I'm not mistaken. I used the info from Googling "hardy bromeliad" and there is a website from the FCBS in Gainesville to get what species do well. Then I bought them at sales at botanical gardens as they are much cheaper there than other places.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

You have Vriesea splendens on the left and Aechmea fasciata. Fasciata's pretty much a tough cookie and splendens always looks better with higher humidity. As far as surviving in your area I'll leave that to the locals, I haven't a clue.

Thanks.......checking with this site.........http://fcbs.org/articles/cold_sensitivity_of_bromeliads.htm .....it appears that V. splendens is much more sensitive (possible death at 3.3 C. or 26 F. whereas A. fasciata may survive with little damage.

Got the V. splendens cheeeep as the flower was dead on it and they had it in the bargain bin.

I am assuming both of these are terrestrial broms? and that the flowers never come back?

Here is another at the base of the big P. sylvesteris x canary ..... have no idea what it is but seems hardy surviving several years here and pupping profusely. post-97-0-64863500-1386080315_thumb.jpg

Billbergia pyramidalis v. striata

I am assuming both of these are terrestrial broms? and that the flowers never come back?

Splendens can be either epiphytic or terrestrial while your Aechmea is stricly terrestrial (they're hard to grow as an epi)

Gut out the dead inflorescence and stand by for puppage.

Thanks Dude! ready for puppage.......I will make sure it stays on the ground. The Splendens has been doing good on the limerock.

Billbergia pyramidalis v. striata good to the low 20's .....most excellent.

David,

Oh, great beginning! In case you're not aware of it - you are already hooked. And it only gets better! B) Good luck! :)

Bo-Göran

I might add that I have more bromeliads than palms in my "palm garden"! :mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

That is actually Billbergia 'Foster's Striate'. It is an old heirloom bromeliad hybridized by Mulford Foster here in Orlando. It is fairly common around here in old neighborhoods. Prolonglonged temperatures in the low 20s will severely burn or kill it back but it should regrow,

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Foster's Striate does pretty well in Ocala. I'd imagine it'd be fine at your new place as it's most likely warmer than mine.

-Krishna

Lol....yes....bromiliads.....must resist.......must resist........here is a cool idea........hanging balls made out of grape vine, bark and spag peat moss....anybody here doing this?

post-97-0-68732200-1386252739_thumb.jpg

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39297-canopy-of-palms-in-9a/

this link shows some of the bromeliads I tried --- probably 10 or 20 species or varieties overall in this 9a garden. --- some of the sensitive plants I hustle in an out -- stack them . Once you do this for a while you have a bunch of plants in the ground then you can leave them out an if you lose a few its not so bad. trick is the canopy and planting them at groudn level or on a pile of wood or something (see the photo with the orange A. pyramidalis -- B. nutans I have had out in 75 f -- severly burned but came bak. I will try to shoot a fe w pictures of the individuals that I left out for a few years --- different Neoregelias Billbergias --- but they pot and reproduce easily and you can go around with a wheel barrow and load it up with them during a freeze night then stuff them inot the greenhouse corner and come bak in March and place around -- Some winters you dont have to do this.

Good luck

Ed

I'm using a new tablet and don't know how to copy an address, but if you put Cycad jungle dyckia in a search engine and my page will come up showing a dozen hybrids and species that all took 18F with no damage. Tom

David,

Oh, great beginning! In case you're not aware of it - you are already hooked. And it only gets better! B) Good luck! :)

Bo-Göran

I might add that I have more bromeliads than palms in my "palm garden"! :mrlooney:

Time to "show and tell" pls Bo :) , and David, Broms aren't only great colour ( if place in the 'right spot") and easy fun plants that "look after themselves", once you get into them , they are 'very very addictive", have fun and as Bo said, this is "just the beginning"

Pete :)

Don't know how I missed this thread earlier but I love broms!! Also love Bo's comment about you being already hooked, very funny Bo!!

Certainly doesn't take long to get hooked.... So many varieties and so easy to grow! Good luck with your new addiction!

That is a cool one ! It almost looks like a pitcher plant !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here’s a bromeliad that is totally hardy for me…Fascicularia spp. canaliculata not that easy to find the real McCoy.

Heronswood is a botanical garden located in Kingston, Washington it’s the red blooming one. Can take low teens without protection, but not every year.

Heronswood112-1_zpsc4818639.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Hey Gonzer, do billbergias have picky requirements? Mine just survive and not thrive. The colour drains and so on. Do they hate sun or does it depend on the species?

Throughout all the years I've grown bromeliads, this Billbergia remains my solid favorite.

woof048_zps75c19ca2.jpg Greg, thats a "Beautiful Billbergia" and magic deep colour from "plenty of light" :greenthumb: Pete :)

Hey Gonzer, do billbergias have picky requirements? Mine just survive and not thrive. The colour drains and so on. Do they hate sun or does it depend on the species?

G'day NApalm,

IMO billbergia's are better off in part shade / sun. Are you planting them in ground or tying to trees?? If your looking for good broms for trees in full sun you should go for Aechmea orlandianadifference are a coupe of different varieties, they love the sun and have great colors and patterns!!

If you are planting in ground there are many neos and oter Aechmea's that will suit full sun.

The most important thing with broms ( again IMO ) is getting the correct amount of light for the particular variety.

Let me know if I can help you out with any broms!

Copy that. Im gonna get my act together and get some pics of my broms for this thread.

The billbergias are inground under a tree fern. It was on full sun and really got bleached. Never really come back to what it was though

NAp, I concur with what my man Pete sez. Too much direct sun (even coastal) can bleach the leaves. A mix of shade/sun is best. I also have a very strange feeding ritual where I feed 'em diluted turf fertilizer early in Spring once or twice then follow up with cactus food a few more times. Keeps those tubes nice and tight.

I am also crazy about bromeliads and must have more than palms , I think that's simple they are so easy to maintain and they don't demand the space palms need !

I haven't try to many outside in winter because am afraid of losing them and is difficult find them again , there aren't more than four species in Greek nurseries ( guzmania and vriesia are not included ) and then I have to import them again from overseas !

Hardy for me are aechmea fasciata , del mar , nudicaulis , famosepala , billbergia elegans , brasiliensis , distachya , nutans and neoregelia maculata has been proved real hardy ! I have succes also with some other neos with some minor damage but don't know their names !

As mentioned before until I have enough plants from each plant I don't really risk to leave them outside that's why I keep them to my greenhouse where temperature is never lower than 6 c .

post-6446-0-00374100-1386438782_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-88582900-1386438820_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-01419400-1386438849_thumb.jp

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

I'm surprised no one has commented on the plant hanger in my first photo. What, with all the snarks around here.

Your plants look well Dimitris. Bromeliads are a lot tougher than they look. Experimentation is the key regarding light and cold.

Edited by Gonzer

Nice Dimitris, would be interested in seeing some of those a little bit closer. BTW....could you Greek guys post your climatic data in your signature. I always wonder what your climate is like to see if your plantings pertain to my situation or if the weather there is very different to what I have here.

Gonzer........yes I noticed the dear legs/feet hanger...we do that and make gun racks around here. Pretty interesting new use for them. Wasn't too weird for me because I live in the land of deer/hog/squirrel/dove/duck hunting....got a freezer full of deer sausage. I can surf in the morning then drive less than 10 miles and deer hunt in the afternoon. lol.

BTW....absolutely love that Billburgia! :mrlooney:

Haha Gonzer. There there.

Dimitris, are you sure those photos aren't taken in bali or Thailand? Haha. Full credit to you. Well done

Here are some more photos .

NApalm those are in Greece , but some of my plants came from Thailand !

Unfortunately I am not living in Bali , although I would like to !

Alicehunter2000 I am using the mobile version since I signed up , so I don't even know all the features ! I am living in eastern Peloponnisos , at Katakolo 50 meters from sea and our zone is 9b , Mediterranean climate , cold and wet winters and hot dry summers !

If anyone of you had or will have a cruise in Greek islands and Olympia then you gonna visit katakolo port first and if you take a tour in katakolo with horses then you will see my house for sure !

post-6446-0-60851800-1386515775_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-03842500-1386515827_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-31397700-1386516174_thumb.jppost-6446-0-83407400-1386516244_thumb.jppost-6446-0-90451000-1386516294_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-50981400-1386515676_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-03331000-1386515870_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-98001400-1386515900_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-88377400-1386515924_thumb.jp

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

I'm surprised no one has commented on the plant hanger in my first photo. What, with all the snarks around here.

Your plants look well Dimitris. Bromeliads are a lot tougher than they look. Experimentation is the key regarding light and cold.

Thank you Gonzer , I like very much your billbergia , is it the "hallelujah" or something else ? I noticed the deers leg but preferred not made any comment on this , I find it creepy ! ! ! Sorry ! But I like your creativity !

Your tillandsias looking great !

Western Greece zone 9b

:bemused: Wow! you weren't joking when you said that you had more broms than palms.....that is quite a collection. I was looking at the Aussie thread that had a lot of broms and some of them were HUGE! ......what would be the largest cold hardy bromeliad? How big does it get?

:bemused: Wow! you weren't joking when you said that you had more broms than palms.....that is quite a collection. I was looking at the Aussie thread that had a lot of broms and some of them were HUGE! ......what would be the largest cold hardy bromeliad? How big does it get?

I believe Aechmea disticantha is the largest hardy bromeliad. There is a variegated form that is absolutely stunning but I'm not sure if it is as hardy!

-Krishna

I believe Aechmea disticantha is the largest hardy bromeliad. There is a variegated form that is absolutely stunning but I'm not sure if it is as hardy!

No Krishna (Hare Rama,Krishna, Krishna), there are other species in other genera that can handle low temps that are much larger than A. disticantha. In facto ipso, some of the green terrestrial Tillandsias which rival Alcanterea in size are hardy to below freezing.

May I ask which species you are referring to that have the size and are hardy to 8b in the SE? I didn't know of any but The terrestrials Puya and Bromelia

-Krishna

Or 9a....

I have the Vircantrea "inferno", not completely sure about the hardiness but the leaves are a really beautiful green color. You should try to pick one up if you can!

-Krishna

So what size are we talking about on these big cold hardy broms? Some of my cherry coke Dyckias that had single heads got up to 46 inch's across, and they took 18F with no problem. The Black Moon cultivars are growing out to be larger than the CKs. Both would take probably as low as 15 with minor leaf damage.