IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

At the Ramble at Fairchild, a buddy of mine was contemplating purchasing a Copernicia hospita. He was invited to come and check out the Moose Land form.

post-1729-0-46472600-1385854820_thumb.jppost-1729-0-57697700-1385854842_thumb.jp

We went to check out the other Copernicias and look what was found on the Copernicia macroglossa.

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Then this was found when snapping the photos ...

post-1729-0-63498200-1385854993_thumb.jppost-1729-0-69557800-1385855018_thumb.jp

Another one.

Pretty cool. It's always very rewarding when one of your palms becomes mature and starts to flower. My petticoat has been setting seeds for years now, sometimes finding germinated seedlings coming up through the grass. Check it out at the party tomorrow night, but no seeds now.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That's great. I imagine many palms from Cuba and the Caribbean do well in southern Florida. An extension of their natural range in a sense. What's the palm behind it? A Coccothrinax?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

That's great. I imagine many palms from Cuba and the Caribbean do well in southern Florida. An extension of their natural range in a sense. What's the palm behind it? A Coccothrinax?

I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a native Copernicia for Florida. They seem so present in the Caribbean.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Yes Lucas, that is a Cocothrinax. Got it as a Cocothrinax spissa in 2006. Its really fast and started flowering this year as well.

I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a native Copernicia for Florida. They seem so present in the Caribbean.

We get the Everglades palm...It is easy for me to imagine early humans bringing royals, pseudos and some of the thatch palms here from the Caribbean.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

We get the Everglades palm...It is easy for me to imagine early humans bringing royals, pseudos and some of the thatch palms here from the Caribbean.

Do you think those have more wide uses for native people than Copernicia?

Keith 

I remember reading that 20,000 plus years ago the thermohalines(sea currents) flowed in a different direction, arctic water flowed down the east coast and even south florida was a colder place, it got snow. It could be that florida zone 10 palms are more recent possibly brought by people. Of course sabal palmetto is so hardy it wouldn't be an issue, but even royals may have been brought by people and waterfowl. thermohalines are a powerful force in weather, north Africa was a jungle not a desert 20,000 years ago.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I remember reading that 20,000 plus years ago the thermohalines(sea currents) flowed in a different direction, arctic water flowed down the east coast and even south florida was a colder place, it got snow. It could be that florida zone 10 palms are more recent possibly brought by people. Of course sabal palmetto is so hardy it wouldn't be an issue, but even royals may have been brought by people and waterfowl. thermohalines are a powerful force in weather, north Africa was a jungle not a desert 20,000 years ago.

I had heard that Roystonea was a relatively recent introduction, but I didn't know why, so that's very interesting! Are Copernicia seeds large? I know that royals are spread by birds, but they're relatively small seeded, as are other south Florida palms, so bird introduction is definitely possible.

Keith 

I had heard that Roystonea was a relatively recent introduction, but I didn't know why, so that's very interesting! Are Copernicia seeds large? I know that royals are spread by birds, but they're relatively small seeded, as are other south Florida palms, so bird introduction is definitely possible.

Very interesting the seed size hypothesis. I have never seen copernicia seeds perhaps a copernicia expert like Ken Johnson or Andrew will chime in... It cold also be that some palm seeds are preferred over others where both exist in numbers.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 6 months later...

Update: looks like some fruit took.They have been green for some time but have starting changing color in the last month. I've squeezed a couple and they give a little, a month ago they were rock hard. I'm assuming they are beginning to ripen.

Questions:

1. What color should the fruit be when fully ripened?

2. When should these be harvested?

3. Since this is this palm's first fruit production, what chance is there that the seed is viable?

No experience with Copernicia fruit. Although I have several different species of Copernicia, this is the first that has flowered in my garden.

post-1729-0-63332500-1402841360_thumb.jppost-1729-0-61416900-1402841407_thumb.jp

According to Craft & Riffle in An Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms, the fruit will turn black when fully ripe.

Ron, I don't know anything about black fruit. Last year I picked the fruit off of our big C. macroglossa one at the office when they started turning orange. I cleaned them immediately and soaked them in water. They started germinating within a few days. This year, the fruit are just now starting to turn orange and I plan to harvest this week.

Ron, I decided to pick the seeds this afternoon as several of them had already fallen to the ground. Those that were left were falling off the infructescence at the slightest touch. Thus, I conclude from two years' of data that the ripe color for C. macroglossa (at least this particular palm) is orange. I've included a couple photos below.

post-1566-0-32137800-1402947264_thumb.jp

post-1566-0-34281500-1402947271_thumb.jp

post-1566-0-30966300-1402947278_thumb.jp

Thanks Jody! I guess I need to see when they start falling, they already look like they are trying to orange up.