IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SFPS SALE CHANGE OF VENUE

Ken Johnson

I did not attend last night's meeting, but spoke with Bill Olson earlier in the day. The South Florida chapter has reached an agreement with FTG and will hod the fall sale there and the spring sale back at Montgomery's. Bill also told me he will come on here shortly and fill us all in with more information.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(aztropic @ Aug. 07 2007,08:08)

:(   I was hoping that they would have the sale again at Montgomery. Fairchild's admission price is out of line;just to attend a sale event. IMO

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

AZ, If you come all the way from Arizona, I will cover your admission to FTG!  Let me know when you get in town!   :cool:

I agree that $20 admission for the priveledge of buying palms seems a bit steep.  Fairchilds is a first rate garden but I wish they would eschew some of their other, non horticultural exhibits.  I never really liked Chihuly but I think I am in the minority with that opinion.  I guess they do this to attract the masses.

A word of caution to the vendors at the palm sale.  The Tropical Flowering Tree Society had their annual Mothers Day Sale at Fairchilds this past May and were very disappointed.  They had some confusion as to who would do the publicity for the event, either Fairchild or the Society.  The woman at Fairchilds insisted that she would handle it and the story goes that she became quite testy when society members kept asking her how she was doing it.  To make a long story short, she completely dropped the ball and did no publicity or advertising what so ever.  Vendors, who had counted on the May sale to carry them through the slow summer, made only a fraction of what they had hoped.  There were more than a couple of upset vendors.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Jerry,

I was told the same exact story from a vendor at the Flowering tree society sale also. It WAS a big disapointment! But with Bill Olson( South Florida palm Soc. President) and others, problems like this almost never happen. They are very well organized.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I did happen to be at Faichild the weekend of the flowering tree society sale and there were not nearly as many people as show up to the palms sales...

Whatever, flowering trees are just not as cool as palms! That's why they didnt sell any! :laugh:

William

Were you there for the Flowering Tree Sale or just happened to be there that day?

There is something about that Chihuly stuff that makes me want to bring my pellet gun.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

(Jerry@TreeZoo @ Aug. 08 2007,10:55)

There is something about that Chihuly stuff that makes me want to bring my pellet gun.

Jerry

YES!   :D :D :D

we always did find that stuff annoying  :P

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Jerry, I just decided to go down and have a look at the palms that weekend and scout for some seed (That Kerriodoxa seed is still calling my name!).  I did not know anything about the sale.  I just happened on it.

The glass art really wasn't THAT bad...  Me personally I thought it just added some more interest to the already interesting landscape....   :cool:

DSC00084.jpg

Kate,

What a great shot of a beautiful palm ,that is rarely seen in fruit. BTW, how's your seedlings doing? :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow, is that the same bunch of seeds that I took a picture of in March?

IMG_5620.jpg

It doesn’t look like many seeds are missing between the two pictures. Inflorescences and seeds are two of my favorite palm parts. I’m glad many others got to enjoy them.

Any of you who are members of your local botanical gardens, check with them. With my $55 yearly membership to Sunken Gardens, I get in free to nearly all of botanical gardens in the states including Fairchild!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

(junglegalfla @ Aug. 10 2007,15:18)

Any of you who are members of your local botanical gardens, check with them. With my $55 yearly membership to Sunken Gardens, I get in free to nearly all of botanical gardens in the states including Fairchild!

We did the reverse - we got into Sunken Gardens free with our Fairchild membership.  A lot of the gardens have the reciprocal arrangement, Selby is another one.  I  think Leu in Orlando is as well.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good