IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pandanus sp. - White center

Carlo Morici

This Pandanus produces white leaves and pups, which turn green as they get older.

Any idea?

CIMG3498_resize.jpg

Carlo

Thank you Eric, but ... are you sure? I thought Pandanus veitchii had stripes all over, not a white center like this.

I really know nothing about this plant, it was a gift of a friend who found it in one of those fancy indoor plant mixes that often come from Holland. And his plant is not much larger than the one I showed, so we are still far to see flowers or the overall habit.

Carlo

Carlo

It could also be baptisii, no?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I don't think it is baptistii, because:

Pandanus baptistii is spineless (and green, or striped).

This one has tiny weak spines all over its margins.

I really know little about Pandanus anyway.

Carlo

I grew that for almost two years. Hard to imagine it as an outdoor landscape Pandanus since it grew so slowly. The one i had was your size when i started and for those almost two years in a tropical greenhouse it, maybe,grew to twice the height. At the same time Pandanus sandersi  Had broke it's pot and i had made many,many,cuttings and new plants.

Thank you Stan, mine is slow too. It seems we are talking about the same plant. As winter arrived I instictively took my plant in a greenhouse, away from the real life. It decidedly looks fragile.

Can anybody else give an opinion?

Carlo

They usually have white stripes. I have grown them and young pups frequently would produce solid white leaves but always lost this characteristic as they matured.

Aha! So it is a juvenile Pandanus veitchii which will eventually become striped?

Carlo